'05 TJ Rubicon driveline vibes? Rear CV driveshaft questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-14-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

'05 TJ Rubicon driveline vibes? Rear CV driveshaft questions

Hey everyone, I recently purchased my second TJ and am in need of some help tracking down the cause of a vibration. For reference, the jeep had already been built a good bit by a previous owner, so I'm a little unsure of the exact specs on some of the mods, but I'm guessing it has about 4-6" of lift because it is currently running 35's.

So, now to describe the issue. When accelerating, I'm getting a slight vibration between 20-25mph. Doesn't matter which gear I'm in and only occurs on throttle. I feel the vibration mostly in the gas pedal. Does this sound like a driveline issue? The fact that it only occurs in a small window of speed and not a specific rpm range makes it seem more like an out of balance tire or steering linkage issue but I don't feel anything in the steering wheel. I know one of the TRE's at the drag link needs to be replaced (going in Saturday along with an OEM style pitman arm), could this be the cause of the vib?

Also, this jeep doesn't have a CV driveshaft installed or TC drop, so I know that is something that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later, but if I can wait a month or two to do it, it would be ideal. If the driveshaft is the issue, what additional parts would I need to do the job correctly? IIRC the rubicon's do not have a slip yolk, so no SYE? Are adjustable control arms absolutely necessary? Uppers and lowers?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

With the amount of suspension lift that you have it would be recommended to have the adjustable control arms (upper and lower) and the DC drive shaft...
post #3 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 12:38 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
With the amount of suspension lift that you have it would be recommended to have the adjustable control arms (upper and lower) and the DC drive shaft...
X 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?

post #4 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyEpisodes View Post
Also, this jeep doesn't have a CV driveshaft installed or TC drop
Does it have a MML? BL? Pics of lift?

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #5 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Does it have a MML? BL? Pics of lift?
No body lift, unsure about a MML, I'll try to go out and take a look when I go to lunch later and snap a few pics.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, when I bought this thing I expected to have to go back and fix all the previous owner's crap/laziness. I definitely plan on doing a CV shaft and new control arms as soon as possible, its just a matter of what order to address the issues. Hopefully I will have the time to get the pitman arm and TRE on tomorrow. Its also kicking a P0134 code (bank two O2 sensor/cat) that needs to be replaced, so stuff just keeps piling up. Good thing its payday
post #7 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No body lift, unsure about a MML, I'll try to go out and take a look when I go to lunch later and snap a few pics.
Just asking about pics to determine how much lift you have because I recently lifted my Rubi 4.25" total (3" SL/1.25" BL) and was surprised that I didn't need a MML or t case drop and no vibes. I plan on running 35's when I get more cash.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
post #8 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just asking about pics to determine how much lift you have because I recently lifted my Rubi 4.25" total (3" SL/1.25" BL) and was surprised that I didn't need a MML or t case drop and no vibes. I plan on running 35's when I get more cash.
Gotcha. I ran a 3.5" RE lift & 33's on my 99 TJ that I had before. I did a 1" TC drop and never had a problem with vibes, but it was an automatic with the np231 and D35 rear which would yield substantially different driveline lengths and angles.

Unfortunately with this one the PO did all of the work so I'm still going through and figuring out what they actually did to it. I know its running at least 4" of SL, maybe more and sitting on 35's. I was shocked that they didn't do at least a TC drop, but I figure if I'm going to do it I might as well do it right and spring for the CV and new control arms.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha. I ran a 3.5" RE lift & 33's on my 99 TJ that I had before. I did a 1" TC drop and never had a problem with vibes, but it was an automatic with the np231 and D35 rear which would yield substantially different driveline lengths and angles.

Unfortunately with this one the PO did all of the work so I'm still going through and figuring out what they actually did to it. I know its running at least 4" of SL, maybe more and sitting on 35's. I was shocked that they didn't do at least a TC drop, but I figure if I'm going to do it I might as well do it right and spring for the CV and new control arms.
If the vibes are minimal, a MML and 1/2" t case drop would fix it until you want to spend all the extra money to "DO it right". Of my 17 Jeeps, I used a MML and 1/2" t case drop on all but one, to get rid of all vibes with a 4" SL and 35's.The one with adjustable CA's didn't do anything better except empty my wallet and give me the ability to say "I did it right". I prefer to do it "wrong" and spend my money on other things.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
post #10 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
but it was an automatic with the np231 and D35 rear which would yield substantially different driveline lengths and angles.
It doesn't.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
post #11 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the vibes are minimal, a MML and 1/2" t case drop would fix it until you want to spend all the extra money to "DO it right". Of my 17 Jeeps, I used a MML and 1/2" t case drop on all but one, to get rid of all vibes with a 4" SL and 35's.The one with adjustable CA's didn't do anything better except empty my wallet and give me the ability to say "I did it right". I prefer to do it "wrong" and spend my money on other things.
Hahaha, your secret is safe with me I just went out to take a look, no MML on mine. I'll have to look into that option, are there any other major mods that need to be done along with the MML? I'd assume the radiator would have to come up a tick as well to clear the fan, anything else you've run into when doing it?
post #12 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hahaha, your secret is safe with me I just went out to take a look, no MML on mine. I'll have to look into that option, are there any other major mods that need to be done along with the MML? I'd assume the radiator would have to come up a tick as well to clear the fan, anything else you've run into when doing it?
Doing a BL with the MML is a good option. Just the MML requires moving the fan shroud like you mentioned. Pretty straight forward installation.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
post #13 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are adjustable control arms absolutely necessary? Uppers and lowers?
What do you plan on doing with your Jeep?
Mall crawl or exploring trails?...
post #14 of 16 Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
RandyEpisodes
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you plan on doing with your Jeep?
Mall crawl or exploring trails?...
Hey Knuckelhead, it will primarily be my daily driver but mild/moderate trail rides aren't out of the realm of possibilities. The plan is to build it as much as I can over the next couple of years while I finish paying it off and once that's out of the way it will make the transition into a designated weekend funmobile.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-18-2017, 05:45 PM
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar issue with my Last LJ it was the Drive shaft Ujoint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.