05 TJ Lift Suggestions - 2" lift and 33" tires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 05 TJ Lift Suggestions - 2" lift and 33" tires

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lift is just one aspect you need to consider gearing and wheel offset too ....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/su...thread-917465/

Unread 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You oversimplify a situation that is far more than just about bumpstops which does a disservice to a guy just trying to set his Jeep up properly. If it were only bumpstops, we'd be able to run 40" tires with just extra-tall bumpstops.
Hmmm.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
Lift is just one aspect you need to consider gearing and wheel offset too ....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/su...thread-917465/
Yea, I'm keeping that stuff in the back of my mind. I figured the first thing I needed to decide on was the tire size i wanted, then figure out what kind of lift i wanted to use to allow this size, then pick out the exact tires/wheels i wanted that would fit with the proper spacing, then worry about the gearing once i know that everything else is in place and was sure on the tire size. Does that make sense or is there some flaw in my thinking?

I think I've come to a decision on the lift kit I want to use. Its a 3" lift from 4WD that comes with: 4 coil springs, front sway bar disconnects and rear sway bar links, rear track bar relocation bracket, bump stop extensions, transfer case lowering kit, and 4 hydraulic shocks with boots. I figure this will take the guesswork out of things, like will i have to drop my transfer case with a 2" drop, can i squeeze 33's under 2" of lift, etc. Any thoughts on this set up?

4WD suggests a SYE and a new drive shaft with anything lifted over 3", is there anything to this or are they just trying to make more sales?

Thanks again!
bowserw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserw View Post
4WD suggests a SYE and a new drive shaft with anything lifted over 3", is there anything to this or are they just trying to make more sales?
read: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/

see all that stuff below in my sig? read em over
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
read: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/

see all that stuff below in my sig? read em over
Thats a great thread! After reading through that, the answer to my question is a very definitive maybe... lol. I guess after I put the lift and tires on, I'll have to see what the situation with the CV Shaft is. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it.
bowserw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #21
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ran a 2" BB skyjacker lift with 33" Dayton Timberline Tires with no problems what so ever for a good 2 years.... I did a lot of offroading during that time as well. I have no upgraded to a 1.25" BL and a 1" MML. Pictures are with JUST the 2" BB lift
1129081613a.jpg   dscf1250.jpg  
phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #22
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

sorry for the big picture
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
tim87114
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes you won't have any issues. I run 33x12.5x15 Dean "Les Schwab" Tire brand which is cooper tires brand.
2" spacer lift only. Once in a great while while wheeling my tire will contact the stock fender flare on the rear when the tires are new.
I too run the Black spoke cheap steel wheels. I'm not sure what the back spacing is but they were just an off the shelf wheel that les schwab stocks.
I have run that set up for five years now and only recently put my stock wheels and tires on because my off road tires need replaced, but funds are tight right now.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

My friend and I both ran 97 and 98 TJs for daily drivers running stock everything, completely worn out shocks and 32" tires with no problems. Today, I replaced my rear axle and installed a 2.25" BB with new shocks and now have enough clearence to do some off roading. Unfortunately, my TJ is one of the cases where a trans case drop kit is needed. My driveshaft now vibrates sometimes while accelerating. I'll have one monday.

I do have a question for the group though. My rear trackbar was a beast to hook back up after the rear end swap an lift install. I suppose that's what the relocation brackets are for? Are they normally needed on a 2.25" BB?
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

all these people did not disco or had no uptravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I disco now with a 1.25" body lift and im still fine....
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would consider 33's too much for a 2" BB if you wheel it. On the street only, you may be fine Just don't hit speed bumps or large potholes too quickly.

Here is a pic of 2" BB and 31" tires.

On another note: I installed a 2" BB on my wife's '00 TJ and had to drop the t-case a bit to clear up some driveline vibes. More info on how I did that...Jeep TJ Transfer Case Skid Plate Drop Vibe Fix

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RC 3.25 kit measuring my shocks and bumpstop space I can only get 31s to fit without adding bumpstops. That is full spring compression which I have yet to do with some pretty hard wheeling. Even jacking up the axle I can not get the shocks or bumps fully compressed. With 24 inches under the front tire I still have 3 or so inches of up travel.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Dangermouse
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I've never had to drop the t case or do a MML with any 2" lift I've installed.That being said,all Jeeps are different. My neighbor has been running 33x12.50's with a 2" BB for several years.
Them Texas plates I see? What part of Texas? I got a Willys edition and I ain't seen another out here yet.
Dangermouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #30
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A 2" suspension lift does not (!) provide enough clearance for 33" tires. 3" is the bare minimum with 4" recommended for offroad use of those 33" tires. At the minimum you should also install a 1" body lift which with a 2" suspension lift will provide 3" of clearance.
Jerry, we're gonna have to get together and go wheelin one of these days. (I'm in Temecula) I'd love to show you how my 285/75-16s (32.8") snuggle right up under my stock fenders with a 2.5" RC lift and don't rub at full flex. I don't have a BL, but do have 1" wheel spacers on Rubi rims. (for sale!)

I'm actually putting 35s on monday after work.
Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , budget boost , bb , 33" , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.