05 TJ Lift Suggestions - 2" lift and 33" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 05 TJ Lift Suggestions - 2" lift and 33" tires

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

05 TJ Lift Suggestions - 2" lift and 33" tires

First off, I'm sure this question has been asked about a thousand times, so sorry for that. I tried searching for an answer, but all I get is conflicting info and bits of things that make sense, but also bring with them more questions.

I have a 2005 TJ "X" with stock wheels and suspension. My tire tread is getting to the point to where its time to get new tires and i want to upgrade. I was thinking 32 or 33 inch tires, probably 33s. I'll probably put them 15 x 8 Cragar Soft 8 wheels.

I was thinking about just doing a budget boost of 2" with spacers and shocks. First off can I fit 33's with a 2" boost? This is my daily driver and i have no plans of doing any off roading, will anything rub or hit?

Do I need anything else with the 2" boost? I hear a lot about needing to lower the transfer case, or pitman arm, or having to use a HD steering stabilizer or anything else.

Thanks in advance, i'm practically to the point of banging my head against the wall.

bowserw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-forum-faq-615132/
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Fender Clearances - What Hits, What Fits
Updated Jeep Tire Fitment Guide - What Fits, What Hits - Jp Magazine
There you go.
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

If you don't look at those links , I'm sure you can clear 33's with no off-roading. A 2' BB and the tires would fit fine.

A TC drop isn't necessary with a 2" BB.

Just order the lift and the tires and you'll be good to go.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick replies!

I actually already tried going through the forum FAQ and quick links stuff and it didnt really help me. I have seen the tire fit guides too, but I also have heard people saying that you could get away with tires bigger than what most guides say, just like SugarBear said.

Does any one have 33" tires with only a 2" lift or did anyone?

Also, if I do go with a 3" lift, do I need to drop the transfer case or do anything else?

Thanks again.
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed a 2" BB on my TJ a couple of years ago, I ran 31's, the only other item I had to replace was my sway bar links up front. They were about $20 each. Unless you have the factory option Dana 44 with 3.73 gears I would not recommend 33's. I drove the 2" lift for years with no problems, a $250 2" BB and maybe $150 for a 1 1/4" BL & MML is an easy install. It will not require an SYE or new driveshaft or any other parts.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had to drop the t case or do a MML with any 2" lift I've installed.That being said,all Jeeps are different. My neighbor has been running 33x12.50's with a 2" BB for several years.

Last edited by TheBoogieman; 07-14-2010 at 11:06 AM..
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a little slow on some of the abbreviations, MML? SYE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I've never had to drop the t case or do a MML with any 2" lift I've installed.That being said,all Jeeps are different. My neighbor has been running 33x12.50's with a 2" BB for several years.
Has your neighbor had any problems? Is that pic his Jeep?

Thanks again to everyone!
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A 2" suspension lift does not (!) provide enough clearance for 33" tires. 3" is the bare minimum with 4" recommended for offroad use of those 33" tires. At the minimum you should also install a 1" body lift which with a 2" suspension lift will provide 3" of clearance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
bowserw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A 2" suspension lift does not (!) provide enough clearance for 33" tires. 3" is the bare minimum with 4" recommended for offroad use of those 33" tires. At the minimum you should also install a 1" body lift which with a 2" suspension lift will provide 3" of clearance.
If I do a 2" suspension lift w/ a 1" body lift, if a Transfer Case drop necessary?
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserw View Post
If I do a 2" suspension lift w/ a 1" body lift, if a Transfer Case drop necessary?
50:50 yes or no on that. Some TJs need a mild t-case drop with only a 2" suspension lift, most do not however. At most, a 1/2" t-case drop should be enough to cure any mild vibrations, if they develop, ofter installing the 2" suspension lift. You can accomplish that easily with nothing more than longer replacement t-case skidplate mounting bolts (they are metric and need to be rated at 10.9 or 12.9 for hardness) and washers stacked up around the bolts between the frame and skidplate to give the 1/2" drop. Due to the indentation around each of the bolt holes in some model year skidplates, you'd need slightly more than a half-inch stack of washers around the bolts to actually give you that 1/2" drop.

Unread 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

BB= budget boost = 2" coilspacer lift.... BL= body lift..... MML= motor mount lift.... SYE = slip yoke eliminator.... I agree with Jerry, you can get away with 2" & 33's, but in my opinion you should also install a 1" body lift for the extra clearance, I suggest a motor mount lift to acompany the BL to allow the drivetrain to follow the body upwards 1inch. The MML will help move your t-case shifter, trans. shifter, and radiator fan move closer to their original positions relative to your body. You should not need an SYE with a lift of less than 4". Bre sure to adjust your toe-in after the install.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Jerry, its about bumpstops

4" of lift clears 33s because it has 2" bumpstops, whether that be from the 15" collapsed length 10" travel shocks bottoming out or real bumpstops to prevent those shocks from bottoming out. Even if you have 6" of lift, you won't clear 33s if you can fully compress the stock bumpstops (which you cant due to shock length, but bear with me). there just isn't enough room from the center of the tire assembly to the top of the fender when the stock bumpstops are fully compressed...hence you add bumpstop extension, BL or highline fenders

You can run 33s on a 2" lift, with 2" bumpstop extension. or 2" lift + 1" bumpstop extension and 1" BL. or a 3" BL. or stock with 2" bumpstop extension and hardly any uptravel.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
TheBoogieman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserw View Post

Is that pic his Jeep?

Thanks again to everyone!
That's my brother's Jeep before he installed a 1" BL.The pic was for reference.My neighbor hasn't had any problems and wheels it.He lengthened his bumpstops.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Jerry, its about bumpstops
You oversimplify a situation that is far more than just about bumpstops which does a disservice to a guy just trying to set his Jeep up properly. If it were only bumpstops, we'd be able to run 40" tires with just extra-tall bumpstops.

Tags
tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , budget boost , bb , 33" , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.