'05 TJ ECM computer reflashing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '05 TJ ECM computer reflashing?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

'05 TJ ECM computer reflashing?

I just got back from the jeep dealership and they told me my used ECM can't be reflashed with my Jeeps VIN.
My computer is toast, so I bought a good used one and was told they could be reflashed.

Can it be reflashed?
Who can reflash it?
Do I return it and buy a refurbished one for $375 from the stealership?
Will it work in my Jeep the way it is?

Thank you for any help with this.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Dealership service department and the parts department will tell you can't do something or can't buy some part because they are lazy or want to sell you parts you do not need.

Find a more customer service oriented dealership, as long as the PCM is correct for your Jeep, it can be re-flashed.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
KaptinNemo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

where can i get a re-flash, and about how much should it be?
KaptinNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

And what does re-flashing the PMC really do??
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The PCM has your vin number stored in it. As part of the uncle sam required checks, if the vin does not match it won't work. The dealership/service shop gets a software package that includes the most current set of rules/parameters for the engine and downloads that allong with your vin as an update. Chances are if you have old software to begin with the Jeep will run better after the reflash then it did before your old ECM took a crap.

I think any shop with the correct Chrysler OBD scan tool can reflash the ECM for you. That includes little mom and pop shops. Call around and if they don't do it, ask them where they get it done.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok maybe it is not applicable to the Jeep ECM but I own another Chrysler product (99 Dodge Durango). I know for a fact with the Durango (Dakota and Ram) that the VIN in the PCM (as it is called with the Durango) has no affect on it's operation. I have swapped a couple PCM into mine (with the original owners VIN), sold my stock PCM, and many other owner have swapped PCMs.

The question on reprogramming a VIN in the Durango PCM also has come up on those forums and all the information indicates that it cannot be changed by the dealer. But again it does not need to be to run.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
I just got back from the jeep dealership and they told me my used ECM can't be reflashed with my Jeeps VIN.
My computer is toast, so I bought a good used one and was told they could be reflashed.

Can it be reflashed?
Who can reflash it?
Do I return it and buy a refurbished one for $375 from the stealership?
Will it work in my Jeep the way it is?

Thank you for any help with this.
1. Maybe - You need a PCM from the SAME YEAR and SAME TRANSMISSION.
2. The dealer can reflash it - which is where I would go, they have the StarSCAN tool with all the latest and greatest software downloaded directly from Chrysler. The new software is really the only reason to get it reflashed anyway.
3. As long as yours meets #1, its fine.
4. Maybe, it has to meet #1. If it meets #1, I bet you could install it, drive to the stealership and them have them reflash it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.