05 Rubicon, doors won't come off. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 05 Rubicon, doors won't come off. Help!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

05 Rubicon, doors won't come off. Help!

Just bought this 05 Rubicon yesterday, and I'm guessing in the 84k miles it has on it, the doors have never been off once. I've tried the jack method but I don't want to bend the bottom of the door lol.

I haven't tried the passenger side yet, but when I move that door, both pins are moving. The bottom pin on the drivers side is not moving, but the top one is. I've been soaking it with PB blaster. Any other ideas? I tried pounding on the threads (I'm planning on just cutting the threads off when I get them out, so I really don't care) but it looks like its starting to move the hinge on the front fender lol.

Any other ideas/tricks?? It's beautiful today and I want the doors off! Haha.

TurboGoKart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Krikkit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On a friends old (99 I think) SE we eventually had to use a high lift jack up against the door as close to the hinges as possibe (so as not to bend them), with a towel to protect the door.
Krikkit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On the drivers side, the top pin was coming out with the jack method, but the bottom pin seems super stuck and is not spinning with the door. Air hammer time?
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
TurboGoKart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got them off. But - the only way to get the drivers door off was to undo the hinge from the fender. :/ The passenger side came off well using the jack/wood method. Took about 15 mins on that side.

I used an air hammer on the bottom of the pin on the drivers side lower pin. Nothing budged.

Any ideas now how to get the pin out? It's seized in the hinge that I took off, the bottom part. I'd really not like to go banging on the hinge cause then I'd have to replace that for sure. Ideas?
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
binnsmark
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGoKart View Post
Well, I got them off. But - the only way to get the drivers door off was to undo the hinge from the fender. :/ The passenger side came off well using the jack/wood method. Took about 15 mins on that side.

I used an air hammer on the bottom of the pin on the drivers side lower pin. Nothing budged.

Any ideas now how to get the pin out? It's seized in the hinge that I took off, the bottom part. I'd really not like to go banging on the hinge cause then I'd have to replace that for sure. Ideas?

I had to take the hinge out of the door on my 99 TJ when I had it. Threw it in a tupperware full of penetrant and let it sit for a day. I was able to put it in a vice and tap it out.

1997 Red TJ 2.5 on 33's
binnsmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did the jack method, placed a piece of 2x4 on top of the jack and wrappe it in a thick blanket to not damage the paint. Then just jacked it up as close to the hinge as I could and it popped out

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try pb blast or some other rust breaking fluid that isn't wd40. Once you get them out take some sand paper to the pin and that will help in the future.

Sent from my tablet, so expect errors.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
eumel789
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
I did the jack method, placed a piece of 2x4 on top of the jack and wrappe it in a thick blanket to not damage the paint. Then just jacked it up as close to the hinge as I could and it popped out
That's what I did :-)
The RR gave me trouble, so I left the jack on over night with a little pressure, and sprayed it with my special penetrating oil! Next morning I jacked it up just a little higher and it popped right out! (That top secret spray is AERO KROIL)
front adj. track bar, dual steering stabilizers
G-2 pumpkin covers w. lub lockers
35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 American Racing
Olympic front bumper, 12k winch, extra lights
Smitty side armor
Smitty rear bumper w. tire carrier and jack
Bully Dog Tuner
Cobra 75WX CB on ch. 4
Volant CAI w. snorkel
Magnaflow muffler[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][url]http://sor7.com/Jeep.html[/url][/B]
eumel789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumel789

That's what I did :-)
The RR gave me trouble, so I left the jack on over night with a little pressure, and sprayed it with my special penetrating oil! Next morning I jacked it up just a little higher and it popped right out! (That top secret spray is AERO KROIL)
Awesome glad it worked!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Liquid Wrench is a pretty good penetrating fluid that is available almost anywhere. Better than the PB Blaster stuff.

Then use anti-seize on the hinge pins once you get them out and cleaned up.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.