'05 Rubi Recall: Oil Pump Drive Gear? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

'05 Rubi Recall: Oil Pump Drive Gear?

Recall E05 ISE

My computer will not let me smog check, so I dropped it off to get that warranty repair work done. They wanted to do two other recalls, a tranny "cup" something which I said do not touch the tranny as Joe from Westminister Trans just built me a new one that is fine, and then they wanted to look at "oil pump drive gear". They were supposed to fix it this morning but now said they are too busy, so I am stranded and not savvy on my cell and borrowing a friends computer. I skimmed an old thread on the oil pump drive gear recall and could not tell whether its worth having it done if my jeep indeed falls into the VIN range that needs it. I am really nervous about a Jeep dealer taking my engine apart if that is what needs done (one that I think has bad reviews to boot but its the only one close to me).

Some of the thread made it seem like they have to pull out the cam, others made it seem like its just replacing a small part in 45 minutes...

So, anyone have the down and dirty answer if they call me today to let them do this recall if it needs it? Or is it opening me up to them screwing something else up taking apart an engine with 100k miles on it already?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

PS-based on the one thread my Jeep does have the S in the 8th position of the VIN so seems it might need this done....
post #3 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How pissed will you be if you let a bad dealer dig into your jeep and it spirals out of control?
post #4 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
How pissed will you be if you let a bad dealer dig into your jeep and it spirals out of control?
Exactly, that is why I got on here ASAP and trying to see what your opinions are, as I am not a mechanic and not a guru on any of this...so I turn to the forum...but since it was out of blue and I could be in a rush whether to call and say do not touch it, or go ahead and do it, trying to get some wisdom from here. If it turns out its a simple fix and one that will save me from roasting my engine by letting them do it and it is free, might as well do it. If there is significant risk involved I want to know so I can tell them to hold off, and take it to my regular mechanic who is an honest guy and will not rake me over the coals to do repair work and I trust him. But saving money would be nice.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Guys who know will chime in. I have never had a jeep from the years affected by the OPDA. I have read threads about it but that doesn't help much when there are guys who really know. Read the OPDA threads. I do believe there was NOT a recall.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would think that the best people to talk to would be a large engine rebuilding company, I would think they would have a great deal to lose by sending engines out the door without knowing how to deal with this problem.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
Guys who know will chime in. I have never had a jeep from the years affected by the OPDA. I have read threads about it but that doesn't help much when there are guys who really know. Read the OPDA threads. I do believe there was NOT a recall.
They showed me the computer screen, said previous owner did not take care of two recalls. A tranny "cup" and this particular issue. The service guy I had was clueless, unlike guy I spoke to on phone who knew off hand the OBD smog issue not ready to test was indeed a lifetime warranty issue on my Jeep and an easy fix. So I got no help from him other than telling me I should get this done since its free. My paperwork says

"Recall E05 ISE"

I was not planning on being stranded all day as originally they said I had an 8am appointment and it was a fast job. So I am on a borrowed laptop at a friends house trying to skim these MASSIVE threads on the ODPA issues (with the kids wanting me off computer to have my full attention), which I do see many are saying its a not a recall. But maybe at a certain point it was such a known issue they have made it a recall that they cover. either way, if it could blow up my engine I want to know what to do about it.

About 6 months ago I was throwing camshaft timing codes, had my regular mechanic chance the camshaft sensor and have not had issues since. But now makes me wonder if it was indeed related to this?

Any help majorly appreciated as I am not mechanically inclined and also these threads are massive on this issue so trying to get to the bottom line...if my jeep is covered and it is free, is this a simple enough job that I let the dealer do it if they offer to save my engine from blowing in the future if it does fail? Or do I say no and take it to my regular mechanic and pay him out of pocket for the crown replacement part or some other company I forget.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The oil pump drive gear involves pulling the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) & changing the “defective” gear on certain production date ‘05s. Here are link describing this.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/20...up-165186.html

http://www.jeep.com/universal/websel...ce/pdf/E05.pdf

My ’05 falls in this & was done prior to being sold as most were done (or were supposed to be) that way, except those that were already sold before discovering this issue. That has nothing to do with later problems some (including me) have experienced involving lack of lubrication to the top bushing often causing the so called “laughing monkey”. A search will find tons on this. The gear replacement & even OPDA replacement won’t eliminate the rather poor design lacking top bushing lube. If they find the cam gear is worn & want to replace the cam make sure it will be covered at no expense to you. It was not an official recall so it is somewhat of a grey area as to whether in is covered. They intended to fix them early on when they were still under warranty so wouldn’t be an issue but some got through without getting done. Here is a link to a long saga worth reading where is was a tough fight getting reimbursement after 2 dealers tried getting out of doing the right thing. Sound familiar?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...-saga-3537194/
post #9 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bummer that based on my VIN their computer says it was not done...and now I have to wait and see if they even check it properly, or just say its fine and do nothing...or try to charge me hah...I hope they check both the drive hear and the cam gear...and offer to replace both If need be.

So what little I know at this point, safe to say let them do the recall and then down the road pay someone to do a mod to ODPA? Or replace it with Crown? I am guessing a new stock one is better than an old worn one for time being?

Would my cam sensor being changed out within last six months have anything to do with this potentially? I was throwing camshaft codes and it was lurking all over, went into that limp mode and I drove it to my mechanic..changed cam sensor and back to normal
post #10 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgatefootball View Post
bummer that based on my VIN their computer says it was not done...and now I have to wait and see if they even check it properly, or just say its fine and do nothing...or try to charge me hah...I hope they check both the drive hear and the cam gear...and offer to replace both If need be.

So what little I know at this point, safe to say let them do the recall and then down the road pay someone to do a mod to ODPA? Or replace it with Crown? I am guessing a new stock one is better than an old worn one for time being?

Would my cam sensor being changed out within last six months have anything to do with this potentially? I was throwing camshaft codes and it was lurking all over, went into that limp mode and I drove it to my mechanic..changed cam sensor and back to normal
They are just going to put a new OPDA in with the same flawed design. You want to get the Crown unit with the improved design. Really something you can do yourself in a probably half hour tops.

Romney in 2020!
post #11 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
They are just going to put a new OPDA in with the same flawed design. You want to get the Crown unit with the improved design. Really something you can do yourself in a probably half hour tops.
Well I have not heard from them yet and do not generally trust dealers...I would like to know if the cam gear is worn and if that's a big money repair if they plan on doing anything, but I assume they would not want to without charging me unless they make money off the recall repairs and can still make out.

So if they do just change the OPDA flawed design and the cam gear is ok, it would be smart for me to order whatever Crown unit is discussed in the threads, and go to my regular mechanic and have him install it and double check the cam gear while he is at it?
post #12 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 06:25 PM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it's going to be done for free, I'd let the dealer replace the OPDA and Cam shaft if they inspect it and decide it needs to be done under warranty.
The codes you got earlier could have been a defective sensor, or the cam timing could have been off because of excessive wear on the drive gear on both the OPDA and the cam.
Either way, after they are done with it, I'd install a Crown OPDA and then never worry about it again. It a cheap insurance policy against a future catastrophic failure.
I've had 2 OEM OPDAs and 2 Dorman OPDAs in my 05 and I just received my Crown unit that I'll install before spring when I take my Jeep out of winter storage. Oh, and my 05 LJR only has about 21,000 miles on it.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's
post #13 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Dave View Post
If it's going to be done for free, I'd let the dealer replace the OPDA and Cam shaft if they inspect it and decide it needs to be done under warranty.
The codes you got earlier could have been a defective sensor, or the cam timing could have been off because of excessive wear on the drive gear on both the OPDA and the cam.
Either way, after they are done with it, I'd install a Crown OPDA and then never worry about it again. It a cheap insurance policy against a future catastrophic failure.
I've had 2 OEM OPDAs and 2 Dorman OPDAs in my 05 and I just received my Crown unit that I'll install before spring when I take my Jeep out of winter storage. Oh, and my 05 LJR only has about 21,000 miles on it.
only 21k miles and 4 units?????? Dang I guess I feel lucky my jeep has not blown up if the gear or gears are worn and ive been driving it all over for many months after the codes and sensor was changed.

No word from dealer yet, they had me scheduled early this morning and said it would be quick...then today the guy asked if I could leave it two days, I said no why, he said well they are busy and just wanted put it in que and look at it today ....whatever....still waiting for a call...

Once I get home and can use my own computer I will read more on the threads to see about ordering a Crown so I can drop it off my regular mechanic as soon as it back from dealer. I do not need to worry about this stuff on long road trips or LA traffic.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Read the last link in my post above. In post 9 there you will see that he finally got Chrysler to cover everything (except rental car) since he was within the date of that E05 & it had apparently never been done. It was a lot of frustration & help from “Jeep Cares” to get the results. He actually had an independent shop do the work since neither of 2 dealers could accurately figure out what was causing his problem. But in the end Chrysler did pay.

They are supposed to check cam gear wear using the DRB to see if the cam/crank sync shows excessive wear (which retards the sync) & determine from that whether the cam needs replacing.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Read the last link in my post above. In post 9 there you will see that he finally got Chrysler to cover everything (except rental car) since he was within the date of that E05 & it had apparently never been done. It was a lot of frustration & help from “Jeep Cares” to get the results. He actually had an independent shop do the work since neither of 2 dealers could accurately figure out what was causing his problem. But in the end Chrysler did pay.

They are supposed to check cam gear wear using the DRB to see if the cam/crank sync shows excessive wear (which retards the sync) & determine from that whether the cam needs replacing.
Thanks, you sure are on top of the 05 TJ issues. I hope if it needs it they do it without a hassle since the guy brought it to my attention and said it would be a free recall so do it. I would hope the cam gear is ok and I just need to do the Crown replacement once I get it back at my regular mechanic. I guess that is the ideal scenario, they check it and neither gear is worn.

No call back yet I guess they did not even get to it today to look at which is a hassle as I am without wheels. If it was just the initial smog issue the first guy I spoke to when I scheduled said no prob and under warranty, would be done fast....now they had it since 7:30am and still have not called (open until 9pm). Hoping if the E05 recall procedures have checking the cam gear in it, that way I think they would do it. Their notes say for E05 recall "check any outstanding recalls, campaigns or updates" so if the cam gear is in any of those they will be made aware. The way the service guy was this morning had me worried, he would not listen to me talk about the smog not ready and I handed him the TSB you gave me and he threw it on his desk, I said please put that in the folder its exactly what needs to be done and its under warranty, he just said "oh I just tell them OBD not working check and advise they will know once they plug it in"...why not specifically give them the damn TSB that I printed out ugh....make it as easy as possible so they do not sniff around trying to charge me for other diagnostic stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.