04 Wont start with Key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 04 Wont start with Key

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
trent4589

04 Wont start with Key

So hopefully someone on here can help me out, ive looked online and everywhere possible to fix the problem but cant seem to find it. hes what i have so far.

2004 jeep wrangler sport 4x4 4.0l inline 6 5spd

when i go to turn the key it does not turn over, it does make a click noise from the glove compartment though.. i replace the starter so far and i can start the truck sometime by touching the relay to turn over the motor while the key is in the on position. i have bypassed the clutch position sensor so i can leave it in neutral and try to crank it by the relay. but when i try to crank it with the key i get nothing but the click from glove box. it will also start by popping the clutch out on a hill.. i am stumped and have no ideal where to go from now... the ignition fuse under hood is ok and so is the one behind the glove box. if u have any ideals ill take them! thanks!

trent4589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

battery and/or grounds would be my next try.
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Definitely check the battery.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Turn the headlights on and while watching them, have a helper turn the ignition key to Start. What do the head lights do when the key is in the Start position? Do they dim/go out or do they stay at full brightness?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
trent4589

Battery is fine I've narrowed it down to inbetween the switch and starter relay.. Is there anything between those two things that could be it?
trent4589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Clean the connection is to the starter and all grounds. Could be the Ignition switch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.