'04 Rubicon Only Starts on Second Try - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '04 Rubicon Only Starts on Second Try

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
kduren1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

'04 Rubicon Only Starts on Second Try

Hi all. My wife's '04 Rubicon only starts on the second try. I've been snooping around on this and other forums for some time trying to figure out the problem. Thus far I have cleaned the TB, replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the IAC Motor, and the CKP Sensor. No luck.

Initially the problem manifested itself as long-ish crank times before starting (3-4 sec). It has since progressed to cranking for as long as you're turning the key and still not starting. As soon as you let off and try again, it starts right up.

I haven't tested the fuel pressure (no test port), but I have tried the vise grip trick with no luck. Leaving the key on for a while and then trying to start does not help either. Theres no gas in the oil--injectors seem fine. So, I don't think it's a fuel problem.

I did get a IAC malfunction fault code, but that was only after I cleaned it and did not get the plug back on completely. Replaced the IAC just for fun. No luck, but no codes.

While I was spending money and reading forums replaced the CKP and the spark plugs as well. After replacing all that, the jeep started the first time right away....once. No luck on subsequent tries.

I have checked all the wires and plugs including the CPS and TPS. God battery too. Nothing seems to be working.

HELP I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT! At this point in time it's about pride...I am determined to fix this thing myself!

kduren1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
superslayer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the fuel pump check valve..

Heres a writeup on how to fix it:

DailyDrivenTJ-Fuel Pump Repair
superslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
kduren1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Copy, I already replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Shouldn't a new one keep fuel from draining back into the tank if a bad check valve is indeed the problem?
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My XJ had that problem. I took my old front 02 sensor from my TJ and swapped them out and it has started right off ever since. Could be the problem, Maybe not but thats the symptoms i had and what i did to fix it. Good luck
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Steve98
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would get an inline gauge and check fuel pressure. Most of the Jeeps I've seen do this, leaving the key in the ON position for a few seconds always helped. It runs the fuel pump and builds pressure.
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
My XJ had that problem. I took my old front 02 sensor from my TJ and swapped them out and it has started right off ever since. Could be the problem, Maybe not but thats the symptoms i had and what i did to fix it. Good luck
That's odd. It doesn't seem like O2 sensors and fuel pressure would have any correlation. I have the same problem....new fuel regulator didn't do a thing. New fuel pump assembly didn't do a thing. New injectors didn't do a thing. The fuel pump is an Airtex unit and I haven't heard the best things about that company. I'm thinking about swapping it out and trying something else. There has to be a reason for this and it's quite annoying.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It fixed the XJ. My 98' Sahara has had everything you said and a new distributor and it still lags at start up. I gave up on it long ago and just prime the system when i want to drive it.
Only thing i can come up with, The 02 regulates how much rich/lean and if it has soot covered 02 might not read correctly. But thats just a shot in the dark, No fact behind that at all.
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve98 View Post
I would get an inline gauge and check fuel pressure. Most of the Jeeps I've seen do this, leaving the key in the ON position for a few seconds always helped. It runs the fuel pump and builds pressure.
I dunno about the 04's but my 97 TJ will only run the pump for a second or two when the key is turned to run position, not enough to pressurize a flat fuel system. I believe it is controlled by the ECU. I would turn the key to run then off a couple of times before I started it so it wouldn't crank so much.

Then the problem just went away.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, sometimes mine starts up quick, sometimes it cranks forever and I have to crank it a second time. Obviously pressure is being allowed to escape somewhere. It's a problem no matter how you look at it. Mine used to start right up and just started hard starting out of nowhere. It's been tough to track down, that's for sure.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
kduren1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yeah, sometimes mine starts up quick, sometimes it cranks forever and I have to crank it a second time. Obviously pressure is being allowed to escape somewhere. It's a problem no matter how you look at it. Mine used to start right up and just started hard starting out of nowhere. It's been tough to track down, that's for sure.
Hmmm, so you think it may be a fuel problem? Come to think of it, the problem did seem to get worse after installing a new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Either installed incorrectly (probably not the case), it's faulty or there's no check valve in the replacement part.

I've also heard it could potentially be a bad CPS. Seems as though the engine would run bad if that were the case.

I've also read that the fuel pressure will drop to 0 in the line and that's normal as long as fuel stays in the line.

Perplexed...

Tags
ckp , cps , iac , starting problem , tps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.