04 Rubicon Engine Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 04 Rubicon Engine Help

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
phljeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

04 Rubicon Engine Help

I Have an 04 Rubicon with 88k miles and have an issue with the motor running loud. It is the same sound when I first start the motor and it has a roar sound when going over 2500 or so RPMs except it never goes away. It seems like whatever typically warms up and settles the engine isn't recognizing that it is warm. Oddly it is the first warmer days we have had so I assume the engine is warm. Any suggestions on what to check? What causes the roar when the engine is cold and what triggers to settle the engine/fan?

phljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
phljeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phljeeper
I Have an 04 Rubicon with 88k miles and have an issue with the motor running loud. It is the same sound when I first start the motor and it has a roar sound when going over 2500 or so RPMs except it never goes away. It seems like whatever typically warms up and settles the engine isn't recognizing that it is warm. Oddly it is the first warmer days we have had so I assume the engine is warm. Any suggestions on what to check? What causes the roar when the engine is cold and what triggers to settle the engine/fan?
One note, I wheel the jeep so the motor gets a lot of mud in it. Possible something is clogged?

image-1282975285.jpg
Unread 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Sounds like the engine driven fan is locked up..

Can you spin it by hand with engine off?

NO WAY IN HELL would you catch me in mud with a rubi.... Mud is the devil..
Buy a beater for mud..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
phljeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
Sounds like the engine driven fan is locked up.. Can you spin it by hand with engine off? NO WAY IN HELL would you catch me in mud with a rubi.... Mud is the devil.. Buy a beater for mud..
I thought the same thing. Yes, the fan spins with some resistance with the engine off. It is spinning with the engine on too.

Why wouldn't you take a Rubi TJ in the mud? It was made for rock crawling and mud. I don't take my JK in the mud but my TJ loves it.
Unread 05-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

With a cold engine it should free wheel about a turn and half if you try to spin it.

Again mud is evil and in no way fun.. It destroys components
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well all that dried mud will act as an insulator for sure. It might help if you clean the radiators with water. The mud will be caked in between the fins, cutting dwn the air low considerably. You have to be carefull though with your water pressure, or you will bend a lot of fins. The safest way IMO is to hose it down, let the water penetrate the mud for a bit, then hose it down again, repeat untill clean. Or you could just take out the rad to clean it; would also give better access to the air conditioning condenser.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.