04 Rubicon Dana 44 locker help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 04 Rubicon Dana 44 locker help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
oreyca
2004 TJ Wrangler 

04 Rubicon Dana 44 locker help

Hey there all, this is my first real forum experience so if my etiquette isn't 100% please feel free to politely let me know.

So anyways, I have an 04 TJ Rubicon that I did axle seals on this weekend. (Dana 44/216 FBI with Tru-Lock). While I had the differential assembly on the bench I noticed the cross shaft or center pin retaining pin is loose and slides freely inside the diff case and the cross shaft. Because of the diff cases contour the pin cannot completely slide out (if it could, i probably would have learned it was loose the hard way......kaboom!!!). Jeep only sells the entire diff case assembly(locker, spider gears, cross shaft, ect.) for a measly $1800.00. At $1800.00 my logic says 'make it work'. So I was wondering if anyone else has run across this and come up with a creative fix or even knows how the retaining pin is removed. In the pictures you can see the end of the cross shaft or center pin between the ring gear teeth. Gravity alone is enough to allow the retaining pin to slide. In the second pic I'm holding the retaining pin up in it's correct position. Thanks for any help you can offer.

oreyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
oreyca
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pictures

Just reposting pics in hopes that all can see.

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why is the actuator so far away from the diff? Where are the gears that are supposed to be in there that lock the diff together?

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
oreyca
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The actuator is so far away from the diff because the side bearing cap is what retains and locates it and in the pictures the cap is not installed. the locker assembly is between the spider gears and the actuator. The front doesn't have a series of gears but I think the rear does because it's limited slip as well. The gears in the rear are for the LSD I think.
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
oreyca
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
mike78
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactley what mine looked like. I pulled the carrier to replace my axle seals and found the cross shaft pin in same spot. I have no clue what to do? Should I pull the bearing and replace the diapragm, I thought this was most likely the problem first but I think there may be more to it, or just start over and use a hp dana 30 with an aussie. I just want my locker too work Im ready to wheel and now I have an open front diff. The axel is pretty beat so I do not want to dump alot of money into it.
mike78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Buy a Detroit. Problem solved.
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine locked and unlocked. I've been looking for an exploded diagram but I haven't found it yet.....
Wondering if the actuator was where it was supposed to be, if the locking gears retain the pin?

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

An ARB will fix that
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana 44 , rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.