04 lj rough/low idle in drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 04 lj rough/low idle in drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

04 lj rough/low idle in drive

ok so 04 lj, im geting a intermitent rough/low idle at a stop in drive, goes down to the first dot on the tach, already cleaned the iac, had autolite 985s in it, im gonna try ngks tomorow, i read a bad tps? or fuel pressure? how can i test fuel pressure?

APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Probably a sticky/dirty IAC (idle air control) which is what provides all of the engine's air at idle when you're not stepping on the accelerator pedal. The IAC is a solenoid actuated plunger that moves in and out of an oriface in the throttle body to provide the engine's air at idle. The IAC's plunger and the oriface (hole) in the throttle body can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner and restored back to good operation.
tb-tps-sensor-locations.jpg  
iac.jpg

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Probably a sticky/dirty IAC (idle air control) which is what provides all of the engine's air at idle when you're not stepping on the accelerator pedal. The IAC is a solenoid actuated plunger that moves in and out of an oriface in the throttle body to provide the engine's air at idle. The IAC's plunger and the oriface (hole) in the throttle body can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner and restored back to good operation.
i already pulled the i ac and the tb apart and cleaned it all out, it wasent that dirty, still have the problem
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

these are the plugs i had in it http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=105742_0_0_
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEDZ04LJ View Post
i already pulled the i ac and the tb apart and cleaned it all out, it wasent that dirty, still have the problem
Can you define "wasn't that dirty" and describe how you cleaned it?

I will tell you this-I can't count the number of rigs I've cured this issue on after folks have told me the exact same thing...

To clean properly, you MUST remove everything, and scrub every nook and cranny with a tooth brush thoroughly using a good TB cleaner. Exercise the plunger on the IAC and scrub it too, along with opening the throttle plate and removing the haze around the ring. You want a mirror finish here on all of it-if you don't have that, it isn't clean enough. Absolutely no haze or dark color of any kind-if you have that, it isn't clean enough and it will lead to rough idle and surge conditions. Sorry, not that I don't trust your cleaning job, but I've been told that more times than I can count and it wasn't clean enough which lead to the same issues you have here.

How many miles on the rig and is it totally stock? You don't have one of those screwy jet chips or anything like that do you? No TB spacers or other gimmicks?

Stick with factory plugs as well-regular NGKs are hard to beat.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ok so i tried new plugs, and a new iac and that didnt solve it
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

bump for an anwser on what i should look at next
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Any codes from the computer? I had a cylinder not firing due to my ignition rail pack on the #4 cylinder going bad.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nope no codes
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

bumping for update, ive sprayed all vaccum lines and nothing changed rpm wise, ive tryed another throttle body with all different sensors, it still surges at idle but now at start up it revs up to 1800 then idles at 1100, it also know surges while cruising only for a certain gear, i have no clue whats going on here and no codes at all

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.