04 2.4L air leak when gas pedal is pressed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 04 2.4L air leak when gas pedal is pressed

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
SpriggZ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

04 2.4L air leak when gas pedal is pressed

Hello I'm relatively new to the Jeep world as well as the mechanical world so please bear with me. My 2004 4 cylinder 2.4L 5 speed manual transmission Jeep TJ seems to have an air leak coming from somewhere. Whenever I press on the gas pedal you can hear air being blown out somewhere. Now it's not a constant blowing sound, just as soon as I press on the gas pedal. I'm assuming its the plastic air intake manifold that has a leak somewhere? If so, how much should this cost to repair and where can I find this part? Auto Zone and O'Rileys didn't have it.
Also for what it's worth, whenever I start my engine cold it doesn't want to stay started. I have to constantly keep on the gas and if I take my foot off the gas, the engine stalls on me. Would this be caused by a faulty sensor or would this have to do with the air leak?

Thanks!

SpriggZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a vacumm leak?Check for disconnected or bad hoses at manifold area?Welcome to JF!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Trevelyan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for reviving an old thread and if you guys think I sound just create a new thread I will but this one I was able to find on Google which means other people in the future should be able to as well.

I have a 2006 2.4L 6 Speed Wrangler that is experiencing the exact same issue with the air noise coming out when initially pressing on the gas. It more or less sounds like 'PSSSSS' the moment i press the pedal then goes away kind of like if you were to let the air out of a balloon and it doesn't make a farting sound. Sorry but that's the best analogy I could think of and i could have probably used better verbage but I couldn't think of anything at this moment. The car is fairly new to me so I can't tell or notice a difference in loss of power or anything especially since I went from a 4.0L liter to a 2.4L.

I've opened up the hood and played with the throttle and determined it's coming from somewhere around or near the throttle body or the big black plastic piece near it but I cannot locate the exact location. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it without me having to rip out everything surrounding it and just start replacing parts?

FYI - I'm not having any issues with starting up the vehicle like OP initially had. The only issue I'm having is that obnoxious noise.
Trevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Trevelyan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had someone PM me about this issue saying they were having it too and was asking if I ever found a resolution. Unfortunately I haven't so I'm going to bump this again to see if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be. I'm worried it's effecting the actual power of my car and could possibly be a reason my cars struggles taking off sometimes.
Trevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You very likely have a vacuum leak.

My preferred method for finding the general area of a vacuum leak is to use a propane bottle to spray small amounts of propane gas in the engine compartment, moving slowly and while the engine is running, and listen for the engine to spike up (even slightly) in RPM. Once the general area is known it doesn't take to much effort to find the leak itself. I use propane because it leaves 0 mess behind as opposed to solvents which can damage plastics, etc...

I would remove the air cleaner before I started, in your case, since it is likely near or around the throttle body or intake manifold.

Good luck.
JStMarie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same engine. have you done any tune up? did you check the tps?
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Knudtsonm
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also have the same engine and am experiencing the same sound w/o stalling or anything.

Did you guys ever figure out what it is?
Knudtsonm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4 , vacumm leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.