'03 Wrangler Blower Motor Resistor Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '03 Wrangler Blower Motor Resistor Help

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
gpschmidt

'03 Wrangler Blower Motor Resistor Help

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of where the blower motor resistor is exactly located behind the glove box of a Wrangler? For the life of me I can't seem to locate it. Is is up under the glovebox? Thanks.

Greg

gpschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

FSM for 03:

The blower motor resistor is mounted to the bottom of the heater-AC housing on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. It can be accessed for service by removing the instrument panel glovebox.

It also says it can't be serviced - must be replaced

Jim
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
SpitNine

Been There, Twice

[QUOTE=gpschmidt;5775040]Does anyone have a diagram or picture of where the blower motor resistor is exactly located behind the glove box of a Wrangler? For the life of me I can't seem to locate it. Is is up under the glovebox? Thanks. [QUOTE]

The glove box has to come out.
If you have the factory under dash lights, remove the light under the glove box.
Two hex head screws hold the resistor assembly in place.
One of them is hard to reach.
Do not try to unplug the old resistor until you remove it.
Plug in the new resistor before installing it.
I have found it much easier to replace the resistor by removing the passenger door or at least unhooking the door strap and holding the door out of the way somehow.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
gpschmidt

Cool, I do have the light. Thanks.
Unread 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
john NC
1979 CJ5 

from my 05 FSM, i believe it's the same for 03+
bmr1.jpg   bmr2.jpg  
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
gpschmidt

Ok, got it swapped out! Thanks for all the help!

Greg
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
djem
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help!

How the heck do you pull the harness plug out from the resistor after unlocking the red tab?

I've tried to wiglle this thing free and it doesn't seem to budge. Any tips/pointers to help me pry this thing out before I totally lose my mind?

Thanks in advance.

dj
djem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

should be the red clip which you have to pop backwards to unlock the red tab....then there should be a push in style disconnect that you have to push in and wiggle at the same time.
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
djem
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle View Post
should be the red clip which you have to pop backwards to unlock the red tab....then there should be a push in style disconnect that you have to push in and wiggle at the same time.
Thanks man. I'll look for the 'push-in' part of the disconnect.

Boy, it's tight in there. By the time I get this done it'll be spring and I won't need that darn blower.
djem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
estoddart
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem with the '02 TJ I just bought.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info posted, I'll soon be replacing the resistor and gettin my blower back to normal.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to pick up this part for cheap?
estoddart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
snofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoddart View Post
I have the same problem with the '02 TJ I just bought.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info posted, I'll soon be replacing the resistor and gettin my blower back to normal.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to pick up this part for cheap?
I just picked one up at the dealer for $20.89 including tax . how much cheaper do you need it to be ?
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
murzi3000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought one from NAPA for $23.59 plus tax. Part # BR256.
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
MaxPower49
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Digging up an old thread here, but thanks for the info. My 1 and 2 speeds on the fan had stopped working. Did a little it of searching, found this thread... got a blower resistor for $17.99 +tax from Napa and not have 4 speeds on my blower again. I'm sure the stealership would have charged me $100+ for this easy fix. Well.. pretty easy... that thing is a pain in the *** to get to.

Anyways, thanks for the info!
MaxPower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
dakidd

On my 99 Wrangler. Knob position # 3 won't work . Put in new resistor with no results . Position 3 is my favorite , sometimes 2 isn't enough & 4 is to much . Anyone been thru this before have answers or help ? Hate to start tearing the dash apart ( again ) to check the switch itself but might be the problem . Is there relays involved that need to be checked ? Thanks from Canton Ohio .
dakidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakidd View Post
On my 99 Wrangler. Knob position # 3 won't work . Put in new resistor with no results . Position 3 is my favorite , sometimes 2 isn't enough & 4 is to much . Anyone been thru this before have answers or help ? Hate to start tearing the dash apart ( again ) to check the switch itself but might be the problem . Is there relays involved that need to be checked ? Thanks from Canton Ohio .
There is a relay but it's for all 1,2,3, and 4 postions 1,2,3 are on the resistor speed pak while 4 is bypassed (high) if three is dead your switch is either melted due to the blower fan drawing too many amps, pull off center panel and pull out a/c control panel look at switch on back. If any wires or harness or metal tabs looks heated or melted, replace the cheap switch and go by a new blower fan motor. If you just replace the switch you will be doing this again and again until you replace the blower motor fan.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.