02 Wrangler Won't Start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 02 Wrangler Won't Start!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 03-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Vegan13

02 Wrangler Won't Start!

I have used this forum a lot for help, but I have not been able to find anything on this topic. Here is the deal: The jeep will not start. It happened a few times when it was really cold, and I jumped the battery and it was fine. I recently replaced the battery with a brand new Optima battery, so I know that is not the problem. When I put the key in the ignition, lights turn on, radio turns on, and everything else works fine. When I turn the key, I hear a solenoid click, so I am pretty sure it is not the starter (replaced about a year ago). When I turn the key to the back position, the radio turns on, which it should. When I turn the key and take it out of the ignition, the radio (aftermarket) stays on. I have never seen this happen before and it leads me to believe that there may be something wrong with the ignition. I have read elsewhere that this might be an ignition switch actuator pin or something else in the ignition. I have also read that sometimes when people install aftermarket radios (mine was done by BestBuy), they might cut the ground which could lead to shorts in the ignition. The check engine light is also on, and blinks a few times when the key is left in the ignition. I have hooked it up to a diagnostic computer and no codes showed up. I am going to start taking apart the ignition now, and would appreciate any insight or experiences with anything like this. Thanks a lot everyone!

Vegan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Um, did this problem start after the BestBuy install?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a short. Sounds like the great folk at bestbuy wired your new stereos power wrong. Take it back and have them do it correctly.

I'm 100% sure they wired your stereo "switched power" into your "constant power" coming from the jeep harness. Meaning your radio always has power in any key position. The CEL procedure is normal and doesn't reflect any issues. Just readiness of the CEL system.

Your jeep not starting is from a dead battery. Stemming from the incorrectly wired stereo always being on. Thus draining your battery overnight/long stretches.
MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Vegan13

The radio was installed about 4 years, so I doubt that this problem would just be starting now. That would be a very gradual issue.
Vegan13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.