02 wrangler suspension lift LA compatibility questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 02 wrangler suspension lift LA compatibility questions.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

02 wrangler suspension lift LA compatibility questions.

Hey everyone. I have a 2002 wrangler with an unknown 3" lift. The lift is springs only. It still has factory control arms upper and lower. I found a thread on how to figure your lift amount. Mine is right at 3". Believe it or not the suspension performs nicely and has enough flex for non jeep owners and jeep drivers that dont own a wrangler to stop, gawk and ask questions.

So this is my question. I am wanting to put a long arm kit on my jeep. Im not rolling in moneyso my options are as follows. Rough country long arm add on. My question for this is, the add on kit from RC comes in 2.5", 4", 6". Will the 2.5" LA add on work with my 3" of suspension lift? That kit costs around 800 bucks. Should I upgrade to the 4" RC LA complete kit for 1500? Is the 6" RC LA kit overkill? My imagined set up was going to be a 4" RC LA kit with genright or AEV high rise fenders with 35s or 37s.

It is a daily driver. Im not worried about fuel milage. It will recieve gears, axles and all the necessary upgrades to run my set up I desribed. It will be something I put together over time. So as of now ive got the money to purchase the long arm upgrade. But im curious if I should just save a little more for the complete kit. Is a 4" long arm pointless? Dont you want to to stay fairly low to the ground for crawling? I live in Texas so we have a number of trails here. Rocks, loose dirt, packed dirt, sand, hills. A litrle of everything. Thank you in advanced.

motoxracer801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why rough country?
Why long arms?
Why don't you have longer shocks?

There are things you need to consider before you decide that a rough country long arm is what you want...

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Would longer shocks benifit me? I know that ill have to add longer shocks with the LA kit. But will it give me more travel as i am now? The reason for wanting the long arm Is because occasionally ill get into areas where one tire is in the air while the other 3 are on the ground. It makes for poor traction. The reason ive thought about rough country is because ive heard its a good lift for the price.
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer801 View Post
Would longer shocks benifit me? I know that ill have to add longer shocks with the LA kit. But will it give me more travel as i am now? The reason for wanting the long arm Is because occasionally ill get into areas where one tire is in the air while the other 3 are on the ground. It makes for poor traction. The reason ive thought about rough country is because ive heard its a good lift for the price.
Just going long arm doesn't necessarily equate to more travel. even on a short arm kit you can get a lot of travel.

whether your have long arms or short arms your springs will unseat at the same point. what a Long arm will help with is keeping the axle where it should be upon droop. a standard short arm will move the axle towards the frame mount more than a long arm will when you droop.

that said... at 3"... you don't really NEED to long arm.

at 4"... it can go either way... I've run 4" springs with long and short arms. the on road ride of the long arms was better. But offroad crawling with the same 10" travel shocks it was about the same.
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I get really crazy travel as it is. For it being stock control arms i was impressed. It gets 10x the travel of my old cherokee that had an RC 4.5" lift. I have also contemplated upgraded to the normal RC short arm kit. The thing that makes me unsure is how good my lift rides. The kit thats on it rides AWESOME. So the only reason id consider it is to get the better control arms and possibly more flex. Would it give me more travel? Or am i just better off getting JKS control arms and longer shocks?

I added a picture of my wrangler on the trail yesterday. I hope its big enough to see.
jeep-wrangler-1.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So you want long arms for more "flex"?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well, i say "flex" But more suspension travel. In that picture that i posted. My jeep tire barely hovered. If i would have had 2 to 3 more inches of tire drop my tire would have been planted firmly enough that my wheel wouldnt have free spun. Yeah, i still got out fairly easy. Why not make it a little more capable though.
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moto,

What determines total suspension travel?

Now with that in mind, are you sure you have 10x the travel of your old XJ?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, not literally 10x more. Just a figure of speech. I was saying that i had satisfactorily more travel than my old XJ.
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK....

So what ultimately determines your total suspension travel?
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know what determines total suspension travel. Thats why im asking.
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your coil springs.

The difference in length between full compression and free-standing height is how much travel you can use. Choose shocks that agree with that travel and your shock mount positions. Set up the bump stops correctly. Once you're at that point, educate yourself on link suspension geometry.

Longer arms won't "give you more flex." I'd recommend learning first and opening your wallet second.
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any good books I can buy or articles you know of that I can read?
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer801 View Post
Is there any good books I can buy or articles you know of that I can read?
Pirate has some very useful threads on link suspension. You can also read some build threads here like imped's.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Binding a driveshaft and dropping springs is easy.......

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift advice , long arm kit , long arm upgrade , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.