"02" wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "02" wrangler

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
kermit lewis

"02" wrangler

hi folks looking at a 02 wrangler 6cly 5 speed 30k miles couple of quick questions what does the "x" stand for on the side panel. and when i shift into 4wdrive iam only seeing the parttime light come on. i can feel the wheels lock in both high and low but no full time light. any help would be appreacated.

kermit lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
thejeepman05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit lewis
hi folks looking at a 02 wrangler 6cly 5 speed 30k miles couple of quick questions what does the "x" stand for on the side panel. and when i shift into 4wdrive iam only seeing the parttime light come on. i can feel the wheels lock in both high and low but no full time light. any help would be appreacated.
X-TREME!!!!!! who knows what it stands for. That little full time light doesnt come on. ever. who knows why it's there. Part time four wheel drive is what you have right now. do a search on part time four wheel drive. from what i understand, its called part time bc not all the wheels turn at the same time. only the 2, front or back, with the least resistance. Which can sometimes mean the least traction! especially in mud. Thats what my Lock right fixes, now my front axle is in full time. Go with the 02, its a good year.
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
blupupher

The "X" is the model designation. Ther is SE, X, Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon. Just different standard features.

The dash light will only illuminat the part-time light. The other spots are there because the dash was shared with the Cherokee, which had a full time system. Do not drive on dry pavement in 4 hi or 4 low. The t-case was not designed for it.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeepman05
Part time four wheel drive is what you have right now. do a search on part time four wheel drive. from what i understand, its called part time bc not all the wheels turn at the same time. only the 2, front or back, with the least resistance. Which can sometimes mean the least traction! especially in mud. Thats what my Lock right fixes, now my front axle is in full time. Go with the 02, its a good year.
Jeepman05, you're kind of mixing together how a full-time and all-wheel (AWD) drive system works, neither of which the Wrangler has. Part-time means it has a 4x4 system that cannot be used full-time on the street. The front and rear axles are mechanically locked together by the transfer case on a part-time system which is why it cannot be used on the street... the front and rear axles cannot turn at the different rpms needed like when you're turning left or right or even driving on a curved section of a street. I.E. the front tires turn faster during a turn and the Wrangler's part-time system prevents them from turning faster than the rear wheels do. A part-time 4x4 system like the Wrangler has, which is called Commandtrac, is suitable for offroad use only.

To get a 4x4 system that can be used on the street, which is called a full-time system, you must get either a Cherokee, Liberty, or Grand Cherokee. Any of those can also have an optional extra-cost 4x4 system called Selectrac that include both part-time and full-time modes.

A locker or limited slip differential has nothing to do with whether a 4x4 system is considered full-time or part-time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Claw

I believe the X is short for Apex.
'02 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L Auto, D44/D30, ARB lockers, Tera S4T, 33x12.5 BFG MT/KMs, Eagle 589s, Rancho RS 9000s, Warn XD9000i, Wilderness Swing Away, Currie Rockers, Bestop Flares, Cobra 75WXST, Garmin GPS V, etc.
Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
jeephreak

X is for X treme, APEX (which I have) is an extra (lame) package that they slap on it, like the mountain top, columbia, etc etc editions.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
Jeepin_Al
DAJC.......Get stuck!!!!

X means no dana 44 and 3.07 gears but you do get the 6 cylinder motor.
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
jeephreak

that is VERY true! One of my biggest regrets (the only one really) is that I didnt get something with a Dana44 in it. oh well, 2gs isnt that much when you think about it! Finding someone to put it in is the real kicker!

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_wldcat_TJ
X means no dana 44 and 3.07 gears but you do get the 6 cylinder motor.
Nope, I have 3.73 on mine, and the new Rocky Mountain edition is classified as an X model, but has a 44 rear end.

X does not stand for anything. I repeat, it does not stand for anything.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
thejeepman05

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Nope, I have 3.73 on mine, and the new Rocky Mountain edition is classified as an X model, but has a 44 rear end.

X does not stand for anything. I repeat, it does not stand for anything.
except for X-TREME!!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up Jerry.
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
Killian

Like the golf balls, when you get a rejected sport model they classify it as an X. Top Flite does it all the time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.