02 tj trans extension housing leaking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 02 tj trans extension housing leaking?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
lukefj80

02 tj trans extension housing leaking?

i have an 02 wrangler with a 4.0 with an auto trans with a 231 transfer case. my transfer case broke in half when my front drive shaft ujoint went out. i replaced the case with a used 99 cherokee sport 231 out of a friends jeep. i replaced the output seal on the transmission. i drove it and found a leak coming from the hole in the extension housing between the trans and tcase. i pulled the case again and couldnt find any issues. i replaced the transmission output seal again and the tcase input seal and resealed. the leak is just as bad. anyone ever have this issue? please help!

lukefj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Odds are very good that the 231 you installed was configured to bolt to a 5-speed transmission which means its input shaft is too short to seal where it enters the auto tranny's output shaft seal. The easy fix is to install an extended output shaft seal into the auto tranny which is sold by a number of sources like either Advance Adapters or JB Conversions (one or the other I can't remember) and Tera. This moves the seal itself further out a tad where it can properly seal against the 231's shorter input shaft.

Here's the one at Tera where I got mine since mine did the same thing after converting my 5-speed tranny to the same tranny you have.

Automatic Seal Extension | TeraFlex Suspensions

And a big welcome to JF!
extended-output-shaft-seal.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know this thread is more than a year old but I figured it wasn't worth it creating a new thread. Would this extended transmission seal work on an NV3550 and a NP231 from an automatic Cherokee? I'm going to be purchasing this transfer case in a few days to put in my Jeep if this indeed works the other way around too.

Is this the correct one also?

http://www.teraflex.biz/automatic-se...on.html#second
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigX View Post
I know this thread is more than a year old but I figured it wasn't worth it creating a new thread. Would this extended transmission seal work on an NV3550 and a NP231 from an automatic Cherokee? I'm going to be purchasing this transfer case in a few days to put in my Jeep if this indeed works the other way around too.

Is this the correct one also?

http://www.teraflex.biz/automatic-se...on.html#second
One or two of the manuals in the TJ, and for sure the later 6 speed don't need input seals at the t-case because they are sealed separately.

I believe the 3550 is as well, so maybe dig around on the 'net and see if you can find out for sure.

Tags
leak , leaking , transmission , tranny , housing , np231 , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.