02 TJ Dana 30 Front end rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 02 TJ Dana 30 Front end rebuild

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
sapperd06
2002 TJ Wrangler 

02 TJ Dana 30 Front end rebuild

Hi,
I am going to rebuild my d30 front axle 3.73 in my 02 TJ. I am looking for a shopping list for all the parts needed for a complete rebuild and also to limit trips to the parts store. I thought I saw a thread with one in it, but now after several hours of searching I can't find it. Does anyone have a shopping list to post or know where a thread is that has one?
Thank You
DWP

sapperd06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

If just replacing bearings and seals, I would look for a kit that includes everything that you need.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you say 'rebuild' how deep are you going into it? Are you just going to refresh it like mentioned above or are you going to go as far as a ring and pinion, ball joints, unit bearings, brakes, side and pinion bearings axle seals and new axle u-joints? There's plenty of parts on the front axle to be refreshed/upgraded. It just depends on how deep you want to go.

I would also highly recommend outer tube seals. It's some added insurance and assurance.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
sapperd06
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it is on the front end and servicable, it will be replaced. I will only do this job once on this vehicle.
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
When you say 'rebuild' how deep are you going into it? Are you just going to refresh it like mentioned above or are you going to go as far as a ring and pinion, ball joints, unit bearings, brakes, side and pinion bearings axle seals and new axle u-joints? There's plenty of parts on the front axle to be refreshed/upgraded. It just depends on how deep you want to go.

I would also highly recommend outer tube seals. It's some added insurance and assurance.
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post

I am kind of on the fence on the outer seals. No matter how hard you try sooner or later water will get in and unlikely tha it will get back out. Plus if it was so critical you would think jeep would have put more than just the little plastic shield
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
sapperd06
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am too.
They have those 60.00 greaseable axle tube seals and I am on the fence about them. I wont be doing any river xings but I will be in deep snow a lot.
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
I am kind of on the fence on the outer seals. No matter how hard you try sooner or later water will get in and unlikely tha it will get back out. Plus if it was so critical you would think jeep would have put more than just the little plastic shield
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperd06 View Post
I am too.
They have those 60.00 greaseable axle tube seals and I am on the fence about them. I wont be doing any river xings but I will be in deep snow a lot.
DWP
Forget about them... IMO
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just need to find those little plastic thingies that people replace them with the outer axle seals. Looking at the parts list I can't find them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.