02 TJ Build-up Plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 02 TJ Build-up Plans

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

02 TJ Build-up Plans

Current set up is in the sig. This setup is good appearance wise, but in no way if off-road capable. My goals are to have a DD that can take on the medium rated trails at Tellico. Plans are of this minute:
-Skyjacker 4" Rock Ready Long Arm Kit
-SYE and CV D/S
-Skyjacker High Clearance Skid
-ARB Snorkel
-Xenon Flat Fenders (6")
-Centerforce Clutch
-A-Z Rocker Gaurds
-Skidrow Gas Tank Skid
-Warn Oil Pan Skidplate
-Skyjacker Rock Ready Tie Rod
-Bestop Sunrider Top (Black)
-AGR Rock Ram Steering System
-Rubi 44's and skidplates for them too (junkyard one's)
-35x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains

What's yall's thoughts on this setup? I plan to do this over a year or so...

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am not familiar with the Skyjacker LA, but there are many unhappy SJ (former) customers out there. It is certainly possible that SJ LA kit is a quality deal, but the reputation of the company overall suffers I beleive. There are some brands that I will not even consider, and SJ is one of them (come to think of it, most of the off limit brands for me are owned by 4WP).
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
ratster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are better choices of lift.BDS,RE,OME,etc.
You don't need a snorkel in Tellico.Spend that $ on tub corner protection.
Bellyup and engine skid=Rokmen,Clayton,Nth/AEV,33eng, or skid row.
There are better and cheaper choices for tie rods.
Warn gas tank skid since you allready have their bumpers.
Ditch the AGR crap for the lockers you are gonna need in Tellico.
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
TJ-xtreme
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if the greenies keep going at the same rate they currently are then before long you wont need any upgrades to ride tellico. it's sad to see what's going on up there. anyways, i agree with ditching the snorkel idea and armorring up instead. good luck....
2001 TJ Sport w/ D44, 2.5" Susp. lift,1" BL w/ MML, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's on 15x8 Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper and Rocker Guards, S/B SRC Rear Bumper, Xenon 4" Flat Flares, JKS Disconnects, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, OBA System, Optima Blue Top, Hella Lighting. More on the way... ;}
JEEP= Just+Empty+Every+Pocket.....
EAT-SLEEP-JEEP OlllllllO TJ-XTREME
TJ-xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well ill ditch the snorkel, but idk bout the lift...done a lot of research and RE seems to b the dominant lift, but I like the kit a lot from sj...seems to b a complete kit and its a simple bolt in kit...

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Unread 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
TJ-xtreme
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2007 View Post
Well ill ditch the snorkel, but idk bout the lift...done a lot of research and RE seems to b the dominant lift, but I like the kit a lot from sj...seems to b a complete kit and its a simple bolt in kit...
The issue most peple have with skyjacker is their springs sagging, that being said if you do get their kit then even in the worst conditions you're probably not going to see any sag within the first year. also, every jeep is different so you may never have any sag. another thing to think about is if you get their kit and are initially happy with the performance and then the springs do sag, you don't have to get a whole new kit. You can simply order some new springs and at that point you could switch to RE if you choose. Either way, i say try out the skyjacker kit, i've heard good and bad reviews of the skyjacker stuff but i haven't heard enough bad reviews to turn me away from their products...good luck...
2001 TJ Sport w/ D44, 2.5" Susp. lift,1" BL w/ MML, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's on 15x8 Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper and Rocker Guards, S/B SRC Rear Bumper, Xenon 4" Flat Flares, JKS Disconnects, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, OBA System, Optima Blue Top, Hella Lighting. More on the way... ;}
JEEP= Just+Empty+Every+Pocket.....
EAT-SLEEP-JEEP OlllllllO TJ-XTREME
TJ-xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Centerforce clutch is a waste of $ in a Jeep.

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm I'm also contemplating the full traction LA kit, but loving the skyjacker kit as it's complete with shocks and other things and is reasonably priced. What's a good clutch then? I don't want much of a change in the pedal feel...but still has good holding power...

Unread 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2007 View Post
What's a good clutch then? I don't want much of a change in the pedal feel...but still has good holding power...
LuK Original clutches (not the Gold Series) They are also the makers of the OE clutch on your Jeep.

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOne View Post
LuK Original clutches (not the Gold Series) They are also the makers of the OE clutch on your Jeep.
x2. Go with Luk if you are replacing your clutch. Why even bother unless your current clutch is on its way out? If it's not, wheel it til it is.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Better choices in lift, skids, etc. out there.

The snorkle is fine, if you really want it. Check out genright for armor. Full-traction makes a nice lift, as does RE.

With 35's you're probably going to want a real beefed-up steering upgrade, like the currie. With a SJ tie-rod you might as well just do the ZJ upgrade, cuz a 35 placed on a hard spot is gonna turn it into a pretzel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the skyjacker double flex kit a few years ago. It sucked.

I will never put anything else skyjacker on my jeep, unless it's free but even then.

Also if i'm not mistaken the SJ kit has short arms which don't help either
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

With the Full Traction kit will I need a Transfer Case Drop or anything for their skid? What about a Transfer Case Shifter Bracket?

Unread 10-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm so I called Full Traction and talked to them for awhile and I've decided that they are the way to go! I've heard so many bad things about SJ that I'm leary of their kit and I've seen a lot of good write-ups and pictures of the flexing of the FT kit and I'm sold on FT...

Unread 10-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

good choice with FT, ive heard a lot of great things about them

i wouldn't go with the warn oil pan skid, havent heard anything good about that. If you wanna do a full engine, then look around, but if you just want an oil pan, id suggest AEV.

Also, with 35s, are you considering full replacement steering setup? or just the tie rod?
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.