01 rear brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 01 rear brakes

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

01 rear brakes

Having trouble with the wife's 01 TJ's brakes. Spongy pedal. System IS bled. All new shoes and pads and hardware. It almost seems as if the rear brakes aren't getting as much pressure as they need. Is there a proportioning valve on these vehicles? Might this be a common issue on the TJ?

Cheers
Matt

colkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are the rear wheel cyclinders leaking any? I think there is a proportioning valve on it. I flush out all the old fluid also if you have not already.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Did you adjust the rear shoes correctly? If so, Jack up rear of jeep and set on jack stands, I like to spin the tires up to about 25 and apply the brakes. Look to see how quickly the rear tires stop.
Of all the jeeps I have owned and with the same issues you having its always been a bad MC not proving the correct amount of fluid to the rear. This is assuming no air in lines, lines are good(no swelling) and shoes are just slightly dragging, and there is fluid in the reservoir.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

All new fluid and adjusted correctly. I was thinking master cylinder. I'll try jacking it up today and see just how much it takes to stop the rear wheels. Thanks for the speedy replies.

Matt
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So, after rebleeding several times, and eventually replacing the master cylinder, the rear brakes are definitely not getting near enough pressure. With the jeep on blocks in gear, when I step on the brake it takes abnormal pedal to stop the rear tires. They then want to creep unless I keep the pedal pinned hard. The only other component in the system is the distribution block located under the m/c. Could this block also serve as a pressure regulator and is it adjustable?

Cheers
Matt
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone on this forum have any real technical knowledge or is it all just about big tires, lift kits and winches?
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkerr View Post
Does anyone on this forum have any real technical knowledge or is it all just about big tires, lift kits and winches?
There are some VERY knowledgable people here, but remember its a weekend and your post has only been here for a day and a half. As much as I disagree with him on some issues, you may do well to send a PM to mrblaine. (may be mr.blaine) . He does know quite a bit about the TJ braking system and may be able to answer your questions.

Also, for what it's worth, asking questions in an insulting manner as quoted above is a sure fire way to guarantee no answers.

Good luck with your braking issue.

Regards, Matt
catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Jeepsr4me

There is a soft line from frame to the splitter on the rear It can go bad on the inside and resist pressure. Also seen a crushed hard line do this.

And I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few years ago, read a mag on cars. Thats all I know...
BTW I dont even own a jeep with large tires, lift or winch.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
03RubiTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know anything about brakes, but do have a lift, 33s and a winch. mag wheels too.

do a search for combination valve, and if you have abs, drb scan

hope this helps my funky canadian brother.
03RubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I appreciate all the help. I'll have to apologize for my previous comment. Got frustrated, had a couple brewskis and started venting.
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, the valve is not adjustable.

Edit: Maybe go down to the local AutoZone or similar and rent a brake line pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure you are getting at the back drums.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. I own the guage your talking about. What pressure should it be?
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would have to go look in the factory service manual as I don't recall off the top of my head. Do you have one?

Edit: I can find most any other brake system spec in the manual except the pressure spec.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well with the new m/c and the rear brakes adjusted almost too tight it's quite a bit better. I think I'll take the pressure front and rear and compare the two. Here's a shot of the new rig. Thanks again for all the input.

image-1139644660.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.