00 TJ 4.0, dead Optima won't charge, push start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 00 TJ 4.0, dead Optima won't charge, push start?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
jage

00 TJ 4.0, dead Optima won't charge, push start?

I have an Optima Marine that is less than 3 years old and the thing is a piece of junk. I can't leave the Jeep sit for more than a week without the batt dying and I gave up and let it sit for a month.

I put a trickle charger on it all yesterday and it's still dead as dead- it didn't even take a small charge. I think I'm screwed on warranty because it's a marine battery.

Anyway, I want to know if it will be possible to push start it. I've got plenty of hill and can do multiple runs if necessary, but I'm not sure it will take and run without any battery voltage. I'd prefer an opinion or two before I waste time.

I also might try straight jumping it since I just put new batts in my F250. Gotta love -20Ί

jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
MUDDYSAHARA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not a chance with a completely discharged battery.
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It wont run without some charge in the battery. I would leave it on the charger for a while and see if it comes back, sometimes they do sometimes they don't.
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiweeler View Post
It wont run without some charge in the battery. I would leave it on the charger for a while and see if it comes back, sometimes they do sometimes they don't.
X2 and make sure it's out of the jeep. You might have something in the jeep that's pulling power when the jeep is off. Have you put a meter to it and checked it?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
jage

The alarm pulls power when it's armed but that's the only thing. I had it on deep cycle jump for an hour, 15A 12v for 3-4 hours and then 2A overnight. I kept getting ~13v on the dash but just clicking when I tried to turn it over. The interior light was nice and bright, so I was suprised that there didn't seem to be anything there... then I thought about it and unplugged the charger and there was nothing, not even the dimmest glow in the interior light, no response with key... dead as dead. I don't think this one's coming back.

I'm still going to try the F250 jump... maybe the alternator will pound some juice into the battery. I'm just moving it to sit more until spring anyway, but getting it to run would be a small vendetta against the battery before I replace it.

Thanks!
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If the charger wont charge it then the alternator wont either.
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
sublimemaze
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ tuns with no battery at all, so im pretty sure youd be able to push start it with a dead battery, if it can be done with none.
sublimemaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimemaze View Post
My TJ tuns with no battery at all, so im pretty sure youd be able to push start it with a dead battery, if it can be done with none.
Thats weird, mine wont run at all if the battery is dead. It needs to charge a little before it will run on its own.

edit: looks like its the distributor that makes the difference

Last edited by rubiweeler; 12-10-2009 at 03:03 PM..
rubiweeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
gaucho919
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im guessing it's because the 97 has a distributor, my s10 with a distributor would start and run with no battery but my 04 TJ just wont start with a dead battery, the ignition probably needs battery juice
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
jage

When the battery is really low I've had problems with it running, I've always figured the computer gets wacked, or something else that can't handle low voltage.

Anyway I did get it started with the F250, fired right up. I let it run for awhile and then moved it. I was getting 14 volts and when I ramped up the RPMs it would jump to 15, so I ramped up the RMPs to 1800 and watched the volt meter. After about 2 minutes it jumped to 19+ and I shut the Jeep off.

When I turned the key again, nothing. No volts no power. So the battery is toast, but it jumped and ran, there just needed to be enough power to start it cold (as opposed to the jumper device I used).

As far as the alternator, in my RV the alternator will charge even if the batteries are too low for the plug in charger, which has a brain. I wasn't sure if maybe the Jeep was similar.
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i have understood it that all dodges jeeps and ect. dont like low/dead batteries they run crappy. but i have never had one not start once juice was apllied or i bump started it wierd
flopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.