You're stranded, now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > You're stranded, now what?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Savemycj
1975 CJ5 

You're stranded, now what?

For CJ owners, we've all been there. You're driving down the highway and suddenly something stops, pops, cracks, leaks, or takes a dump. Whatever it may be you feel that slow sinking feeling as your machine coasts to a halt. We have all heard of cracking an egg in a leaky radiator, or maybe using a silicon covered nail to plug a small hole in a tire. What other tips tricks and techniques have you use to repair your jeep (and pride) on the side of the road? Lets hear em all!!!

Savemycj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
jrussblues
1985 CJ7 

Call the shop for a flatbed
jrussblues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Ive been daily driving CJs since 1991 and have had only a few break downs in those 22 years. Overall, Ive found my CJs to be VERY reliable and more likely to get you home IF something does happen than most modern cars. Ill give several examples of MY occasions, I'll tell you what happened, why it happened, and what I did to solve it or get out of trouble. The CJs I used over this time were a 86 CJ-7, a 75 CJ-6, and an 82 Scrambler.

1.Ran out of gas. (gauge working) Just bought my first CJ and unlike new cars, there is no "low on gas" light. I saw it was low and figured I had a buffer or some more time....NO. Once it sputters, you have feet, not miles or minutes....You need to run out one time to see exactly where your gauge is when it runs out and how fast it drops to this location. This was my fault, not the Jeeps.

2. Ran out of gas (gauge not working) OR in my case, the sending unit is bad as a full tank reads full gauge and after one or two gallons used, gauge drops straight to empty. This is because there is a break in the resistance wire (top of float in the tank). Tank most be dropped and unit replaced. If your like me a procrastinate on your own repairs, be smart and carry a one gallon jug of gas. Keep track of distance/mileage and you'll need to get gas more often to be better safe than sorry. Refill the jug if used or your walking next time.

3. Jeep starts missing bad and sputtering when driving. Hours from home, ran 70plus MPH there and all of a sudden, loses power, misses, acts like it's not getting enough gas or the right spark.....pull over and it idles fine and smooth.....drive away and under load, all problems return.....BAD ignition module on left inner fender under the coolent bottle. Melted wax looking backside is a good clue. I was able to limp off down the emergency lane and off the interstate to an AutoZone. They tested it, I replace it, and was back in business. I carry a spare now and they will work if not bolted in/grounded....or at least mine will. Carry a spare.

4. Something is slipping in the drivetrain. After a hard acceleration and or maybe with a sharp turn as well, you feel a shutter or rumble from the rear end. You see the RPMs, the clutch seems to work, yet little to no forward movement. IF you have a stock Model 20 rear axle (1976 to early 86), you MAY have just spun a hub. To get home, lock front hubs, and use 4WD high. It will feel a little funny as your pulling from the front tires, but it shouldn't buck on the hard pavement (as it normally would) because of the breakage acts as the rear disconnect from the front. Once home, pull cover or rim cap and use a marker or paint pen to mark a line on the hub and axle shaft end. Drive (or try to) a few feet to confirm line mismatch. Time for one piece axles.

5. Lights out. Your driving along and hit your high beam floor switch with your foot, suddenly, all black, no lights. The switch on the floor has 3 wires, one positive in and two out. Any wet dirt and floor gunk can compromise the connections. Either hit the switch again and go back to the beams that did work OR stay calm, pull over after to slow down and stop to wiggle the wire plug behind it by hand. Also, another lights out problem is the main positive lead going into the dash mounted light switch. A bad connection will fail over time because of the amperage going through a small connection (because its corroded) will generate heat and melt the tab in that slot. Damage to the dash side plug is the usually result. A new switch may only be half the fix. A new connector or plug may have to be soldered in.

6. Tire goes flat with no nail or puncture visible. The tire keeps going flat and soapy water results with no bubbles. Check the valve stem. Ive had several go bad due to rot or being folded over and crack. a screw covered with silicone can and will hold air fine. I have a yard roller (a set of tires used just to roll projects on), that has held air fine for 8 years...with a screw. IF its your driver, this is just an emergency fix to get to home or to the tire shop. Fix it right.

7. more to come

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I know you are asking about roadside fixes, but I have found using AAA to be a good deal. They will flatbed your vehicle home from quite a distance all as part of your AAA contract.

Roadside fixes are more interesting though
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

if you do carry extra gas make sure the pour spout on the container is long enough to get into the fill hole and push the spring door open AND be able to elevate the gas can enough for all the gas to enter the tank. On my 85 CJ7 the right taillight is mounted on the outside of the tube above the gas fill connection making it difficult to fill from a gas can. Found this out too late
shadoow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The choke pull-off on my 4-barrel carb is a little wonky on startup, which causes it to flood the engine on occasion. I carry a chopstick in my console specifically for these times. I simply wedge the chop-stick between the choke plate and the housing, allowing the spring tension to hold it in place. It creates the perfect air-gap to allow the engine to start. When she fires, I pull the chopstick, replace the air cleaner, and I'm on my way.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

If I breakdown I call my wife, or son, the same as I would if I broke down in any other vehicle I own.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I've been the victim of Jeeps since about '71...
And I have to agree with ED!

GAS CAN! Use a bike lock cable to secure it OUTSIDE the cockpit.

If you go very far, WATER CAN. Don't leak much, but it's good to wash the road crud off you, and if the radiator/hoses do go...

Broken front wheel U Joint? Pull the spindle and remove the stub axle, put the spindle and wheel back on, depending on your locker situation, you will be 3 or 2 wheel drive, but you will be moving.

Broken U Joint in drive shafts? Remove offending drive shaft and use the other axle to get someplace you can fix it.

For the above issue with valve stems, you can buy metal valve stems that solve the rot/tear loose issues...
With valve stems, the shorter the better, I see long valve stems I know the guy doesn't wheel since mud loves to tear off long valve stems.

Nail puncture in a tubeless tire? A metal screw about 1.5" long, screw it right into the hole if you aren't carrying a plug kit.
I have to say, I've never had a nail puncture on the trail, it's always a side wall cut, but for road drivers, nails are a constant issue... Plug kits will get you somewhere you can get a proper patch. Metal screw is a VERY short distance 'Fix'.

This is kind of a 'Tools' thing,
If you have an 'Air Hose'... Use FUEL LINE for your air hose and put your air chuck ends on it. This gives you fuel line clamps, fuel rated hose for those pesky short rubber lines that occasionally like to plague off roaders. Just cut a piece off your 'Air' line and put the air chuck back on... Fix your fuel leak and you are off to the races.
With air chucks removed, it makes a pretty good siphon hose also for those embarrassing 'Out Of Fuel' situations.

With external fuel can and my 'Air Hose', I once strapped the can to the hood, ran the fuel line to the carb, and got to civilization when the fuel pump quit. Siphon from can to carb. Looked stupid, but I didn't have to walk the 9 miles to get help...

Crack a metal line you can't cut away? Slit some of the rubber fuel line down the side, put around the cracked metal line, use hose clamps on the crack until leak stops. This is NOT a 'Fix', but it will get you someplace you can get a tubing cutter and proper line repair.

Want to keep those jumper cables from tangling up? Run a steel tow cable along side them, taped down. My cable has 'Eyes' on both ends for towing and keeps everything tidy, coiled up correctly. Cut a little tape and you are towing with the best of them.
Looks like you are towing someone back with jumper cables, but who cares what other people think if you don't have to walk 5 miles? Also makes guys scratch their heads trying to figure out how you towed a vehicle with just the jumper clamps on the bumpers! (just keeping the clamps from hanging down)

Battery cable camp gave up? Cut the offender off, strip some clean wire and use hose clamp or vice grips to secure cable to the battery terminal.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

I see Matt uses a chop stick for his choke plate issues.

I have a clothes pin on my visor for the same reason

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Staying on top of things and not letting things go by when you first notice a problem helps a great deal.

On road, I too will call AAA just like my other vehicles. Off road I always travel with another. I don't solo Jeep, and neither do my buddies.

My biggest fear? Running out of gas. But with my reserve tank, I try to keep at least one tank full. Long expeditions? Watch that mileage! Spare parts such as a U-joint and a plug kit and tools help a great deal, but number one, preventive maintenance and reliable repairs and upgrades help keep me out of trouble.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Running out of gas seems common, and as bad as the stock gauge is, it's a no brainer. I have been there a few times myself. But outside of an ignition module failure about 2 miles from home, I have never been left high and dry somewhere (knock wood). I have always been able to limp home.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
jrussblues
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes
Running out of gas seems common, and as bad as the stock gauge is, it's a no brainer. I have been there a few times myself. But outside of an ignition module failure about 2 miles from home, I have never been left high and dry somewhere (knock wood). I have always been able to limp home.
I deleted the fuel gauge from my CJ when I rebuilt it...just fill up frequently...a more interesting thread would be...you got stranded due to a failure and that lead to...
I got stranded due to a caliper banjo bolt failure and now I'm on the verge of pulling the sting on a waggy axle swap...this is a sad but fun addiction.
jrussblues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
I know you are asking about roadside fixes, but I have found using AAA to be a good deal. They will flatbed your vehicle home from quite a distance all as part of your AAA contract.

Roadside fixes are more interesting though
Should of called them to have your new jeep towed home! I'm sure we could of came up with a good story to tell them! Lol
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I don't think they will tow that far! And it went fine without incident fortunately.

Edit: it was 333 miles.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
John N
1981 CJ8 

AAA Plus....100 miles of towing. I put it my trailer if I'm going further.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
broke , repair , stuck , tips , trick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.