your thoughts on lucas oil stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > your thoughts on lucas oil stabilizer

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Stegs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

your thoughts on lucas oil stabilizer

quick question
bought a 1978 jeep cj5 with the 258

jeep sat in a storage unit for a while, so i ran less that a quarter of marvel mystery oil in the motor oil and poured the rest in the gas tank

I ran the jeep for maybe 60-70 miles with the MMO in the oil

now its time for a oil change again

Im going again with 10w30 in high mileage with a napa gold filter

my question is should i replace 1 quart of oil with lucas oil stabilizer to help boost oil pressure in my old motor

it runs good, got some very slight motor noise, but then again so does my 99 cherokee ....

your thought on doing this? good idea in older motors? i read that its OK for older engines that dont run alot of RPM...like a jeep

or should i just change oil viscosity? something other than 10w30? Id still prefer to run high mileage

Stegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I have never been a proponent of the magic pill. Things like Slick 50, Motor Medic, Sea Foam Fitz Fuel Catalysts never produced any major results. So to answer your question if if you want to run Lucas as additive to help your oil do its job then your ok. If you think Lucas will boost oil pressure and take up the slack in the worn machined surfaces of your engine then I think you will be disappointed.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

No. Run the viscosity your owners manual says to, mine says 5-20W and thats what it runs. You dont need high mileage. The gold oil filter will boost your oil pressure.
steve1973 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Stegs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1973 View Post
No. Run the viscosity your owners manual says to, mine says 5-20W and thats what it runs. You dont need high mileage. The gold oil filter will boost your oil pressure.
do you have the same motor as me? the 258?

maybe thats why my oil pressure is 20 pounds...im running the wrong viscosity

I assumed it was 10w30 like everything else....

*i will note i live in michigan, but the jeep is only driven during the summer months...and I have no owners manual..

reading others forums, i think i should be 15w40 at minimum...
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Lucas will boost your oil pressure, it is a proven fact. Lucas products are gold. If you ever had a bad slipping auto tranny that you needed a little more life out of, you know what I'm talking about.

Its not gonna take you up a ton of oil pressure, but it helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
robs7
1983 CJ7 

I add it in every part of my Jeep. Motor, manual transmission, transfer case and differentials. I only run mine in the summer so a little thicker oil doesn't hurt. It won't make old parts new by any means but I feel like it makes old parts last. Kind of like taking medications when you get old I guess. Just my two cents. Rob.
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Stegs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs7 View Post
I add it in every part of my Jeep. Motor, manual transmission, transfer case and differentials. I only run mine in the summer so a little thicker oil doesn't hurt. It won't make old parts new by any means but I feel like it makes old parts last. Kind of like taking medications when you get old I guess. Just my two cents. Rob.

kinda what im thinking

I just went to napa and picked up 5 quarts of 10w40 HM and 1 quart of lucas and a napa gold oil filter...that should boost oil pressure more than 20lbs going down the road....(as far as original gauge is concerned)
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

Attachment 641208

My 1978 owners manual calls for straight 30w down to a given Temperature, IIRC around 30* , lower than that it was 20w.
To bump up a couple years my '05 TJ calls for 10w-30 with the 4.0L. My '94 4.0L YJ was the same.

I doubt any Recommendation from the OEM on oil Viscosity was ever 5w-20 for a CJ, with a 258 or a 304. The 4cyl. Could be different.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegs View Post
quick question
bought a 1978 jeep cj5 with the 258

jeep sat in a storage unit for a while, so i ran less that a quarter of marvel mystery oil in the motor oil and poured the rest in the gas tank

I ran the jeep for maybe 60-70 miles with the MMO in the oil

now its time for a oil change again

Im going again with 10w30 in high mileage with a napa gold filter

my question is should i replace 1 quart of oil with lucas oil stabilizer to help boost oil pressure in my old motor

it runs good, got some very slight motor noise, but then again so does my 99 cherokee ....

your thought on doing this? good idea in older motors? i read that its OK for older engines that dont run alot of RPM...like a jeep

or should i just change oil viscosity? something other than 10w30? Id still prefer to run high mileage
Go ahead and do an oil change w regular oil but substitute 1 quart of cheap tranny fluid. It will degunk your engine. Run for a few hundred miles and change again like normal
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Stegs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5huntingrig View Post
Go ahead and do an oil change w regular oil but substitute 1 quart of cheap tranny fluid. It will degunk your engine. Run for a few hundred miles and change again like normal
i ran marvel mystery oil in it for the last 75 miles or so (maybe 100)

It thinned my oil out of course, and developed a leak from somewhere

Im hoping its because of the thin oil, now putting 10w40 and 1 quart lucas to stop the leak and build oil pressure

*please dont be the rear main seal leaking* please, pretty please*
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

i use syn oil, i read that its better for anything that isnt going to be driven that much and it last a lot longer. lucas is a good product. if you think you need it then try it. all the aftermarket stuff out there isnt bad, some does work.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I never put any additives in the oil or coolant. They should not need them.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
nixer600

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
Lucas will boost your oil pressure, it is a proven fact. Lucas products are gold. If you ever had a bad slipping auto tranny that you needed a little more life out of, you know what I'm talking about.

Its not gonna take you up a ton of oil pressure, but it helps.
My personal experience as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegs View Post

i ran marvel mystery oil in it for the last 75 miles or so (maybe 100)

It thinned my oil out of course, and developed a leak from somewhere

Im hoping its because of the thin oil, now putting 10w40 and 1 quart lucas to stop the leak and build oil pressure

*please dont be the rear main seal leaking* please, pretty please*
These engines leak like sieves anyways. You may want to do yourself a favor and just don't worry about the leak until it gets bad. Then go ahead and replace the RMS and oil pan gasket with the Felpro one piece it's worth the time and investment
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Stegs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5huntingrig View Post
These engines leak like sieves anyways. You may want to do yourself a favor and just don't worry about the leak until it gets bad. Then go ahead and replace the RMS and oil pan gasket with the Felpro one piece it's worth the time and investment
it didnt leak until i did the MMO

thinking it got thin and thats what is leaking

oh well...

I will see if thicker oil help any, or i will do the RMS this winter

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.