I drove to see this 1985 CJ-7 today and would like to get your thoughts. I'm really on the fence about buying it or not. Photos are below.
To summarize, it's a CJ. It seems to have all of the expected issues. So in that regard you get what you pay for.
- The frame has some run spots, but they're minor compared to other frames I've seen. The frame is generally in good shape as far as I can tell. (rear shackle mount photo below)
- The 258 and T5 were rebuilt about 10K miles ago and owner has receipts for the work.
- Engine starts and runs well
- Fairly new Besttop
- new oil pump
- 33 BFGs have plenty of tread and are worn evenly.
- New parts: radiator, alternator, engine control module (?) on top the fender well, other parts new.
- Brakes work OK.
- Exhaust system looks fairly new.
- Has current registration and inspection.
- Drove stable at 60 MPH.
- Seats and console are OK.
- 4wd works
- one owner last 13 years or so. Jeep has seen low use during this time.
- Paint is chalky
- fuel and volt gauges not working
- Heater core totally bypassed: metal tubes sticking out of the firewall
- valve cover new (metal), but leaks oil.
- somewhat new radiator, but it rubs on the underside of the hood on one side
- mess of wires behind dash.
- Some disconnected wires around top area of engine.
- Shifter doesn't mate to the transmission squarely. It has a lot of play in it. The stud sticking out of the top of the trans doesn't have play though.
- New windshield frame, but it's already showing some rust.
- dime spots of body rust in usual places (rocker panels, windshield hinges)
- tires are too large/wide 33x12.5 (personal preference, I know)
- 4" lift is too high for my taste. I'd want to take it back to 2.5"
- Original paint color was white. I can see some overspray from the last paint job.
- small stuff: Turn indicator lever is broken off at end. Transmission shifter missing the shift pattern medallion.
The Jeep is listed at $6200 but I think he will take $5400. I would probably offer $4900 and go to $5000 if I decided to buy. Keep in mind I'm in Texas and I think the CJ prices are on the high side here.
That's all! What do you think?