Your opinion on my lift options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Your opinion on my lift options.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Your opinion on my lift options.

Hey guys,

I have an 82 cj7 with a (350ish hp) amc 360 that I use for class 4's and road driving on 36's. This one is all pretty much stock. Dana 30 front amc 20 rear open/open 4.10 gears and a 4" CJ lift that rides like a hay wagon. So thats the rig

Options:

SOA: I have some factory YJ springs with RE add-a-leafs still in the box to return to a positive arch, RuffStuff traction bar kit in the box, new perches, double cardon rear shaft etc etc etc to do a SOA setup.

SUA: I also have a YJ 4.5" RE lift laying around that I could throw under it and have about the same lift and still be sprung under. (Hoping to get away without a traction bar going in this direction) Those also ride very nice.

Im looking for something that will ride nice and be good on the road but still perform well offroad because im trying to get my girlfriend in the seat of this one. (Ive done plenty of SOA setups before so I'm aware of the work to make it "safe".) I just want to hear which lift you guys would put under it if it was yours and maybe why.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'd probably just toss the SUA 4.5" lift under the rig and trim fenders to fit the rubber.

I'd be kind of worried about the lifespan of a SOA setup using stock springs and Add-a-leaves.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

blackdiamond or rubicon express gets my vote along with spring over axle but it depends how high you want to go. also keep safety in mind too,
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Subscribed. Pondering exactly these three choices for a while. RE, black diamond or SOA ? Still researching the additional necessary steps to make the SOA safe. Gonna tag along on this one
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

I vote re4.5 as well. I run that same lift as well as a 1 inch body lift for street and trails rated to 4. You will probable have to trim alittle from the rear wheel opening for 36 inch tires.
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs View Post
Subscribed. Pondering exactly these three choices for a while. RE, black diamond or SOA ? Still researching the additional necessary steps to make the SOA safe. Gonna tag along on this one
Well you'll want a traction bar for starters to help with axle wrap. Setting your caster when doing the front perches is very important as well along with the rear pinion angle depending on which style driveshaft you are going to go with.

Downlaod the pdf from the first post in this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ef...in-etc-784807/

The steering is where I'm stuck at to make to 100%.. because im not gonna spend the money on highsteer for a dana 30. I have a drop pitman arm on it now but I'll still have a little bump steer with the SOA setup.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

The 36's fit now with the regular 4" lift. The RE lift also has boomerang shackles to go with it that will lift it a very little amount. But I'll probably go with the RE setup since I have that and can return the other parts.. if I dont like it I can always go to SOA another time.

But still.. keep them coming!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jeepincj7 View Post
The 36's fit now with the regular 4" lift.
This surprises me. I would have thought you would have significant tire rub.

Anyway, if you're sure that the two lifts are the same height, then I would go with the SUA simply because of the easier installation, and better manners on the road.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
CoryA
1984 CJ7 

What I plan on doing if you plan on keeping your current axles and 4" is enough for your setup

I wanted something that's a quick easy swap and will ride nice so I'm going with

Ome 2.5" lift
1" body lift and probably clock my tc
Boomerang yj shackles for another 1/2" lift

Will bet approximately 4" and supposedly a very nice ride

If I were doing an axle swap soa all the way
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have most of the parts for SOA, there's no reason not to. Just make sure you address the steering.

The 4.5" RE lift will simply never flex or ride as well as YJ leafs w/ AALs. Period. So unless you want to maybe reserve the SOA parts for some other rig, use 'em.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
This surprises me. I would have thought you would have significant tire rub.

Anyway, if you're sure that the two lifts are the same height, then I would go with the SUA simply because of the easier installation, and better manners on the road.
I also have stupid awful autozone shackles on it right now that are way to long. They were all I access to when I threw the jeep together last year knowing I was going to upgrade stuff this winter.

This shows the clearence. Granted someone cut the rear wheel wells a little bigger for TJ flares since it was a YJ tub but I have a better tub going on it this winter thats mint to get rid of all the silly diamond plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarg View Post
If you have most of the parts for SOA, there's no reason not to. Just make sure you address the steering.

The 4.5" RE lift will simply never flex or ride as well as YJ leafs w/ AALs. Period. So unless you want to maybe reserve the SOA parts for some other rig, use 'em.
Well the cj is pretty fast and we're always horsing around in it etc... my wheeling cj had a TON of body roll with the 1.5RE springs up front and OME xj springs in the rear. So I'm a little worried about that with those old YJ springs and any SOA setup.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jeepincj7 View Post
my wheeling cj had a TON of body roll with the 1.5RE springs up front and OME xj springs in the rear. So I'm a little worried about that with those old YJ springs and any SOA setup.
I log about 10,000 miles a years in mine with SOA on YJ springs. With the sway bar hooked up, body roll on the road in a non-issue.
It's actually quite fun to drive on back country roads.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I had an re on my xj and no issues and I also had a black diamon on my old tj with no issues. I have an old man emu on my liberty and again no issues. I also paid good $ for all my lifts because of listening to people on forums. Id go with re for your purpose
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

I am in the SUA camp - I'd go YJ springs and get in touch with BDS. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I know they have lifts for YJ's that are over 5" so the lift height and quality is there.
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I like your first plan put the RE lift on it and if it doesn't behave like you want it to, swap in some dana 44s and go SOA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.