Young Mind - Planning for dream build one day. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Young Mind - Planning for dream build one day.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Young Mind - Planning for dream build one day.

Hello everybody,

I have been a part of the Jeep community for the past few years now and plan to be for many more years to come. It all started with a buddy who had a Wrangler, got to drive in it with the top down on a perfect sunny Michigan day and from that moment on I was hooked. Few years later I had saved up enough money to buy one for myself. A 2002 TJ 4.0L from California, with 0 rust, 126k miles, and the D44 rear, completely stock.

At the time I knew absolutely nothing about vehicles in general or maintenance, didn't even know how to do an oil change. But owning a Wrangler inspired me to get out there and learn, I went from being a gamer to a hardcore Jeeper. Now 3 years later, several modifications have been done to the Jeep, and I did it all myself. I still have a whole hell of a lot to learn, but I hope that with your guys knowledge you may be able to lead me in the right direction. I have never done any serious mechanical work, and dont intend to anytime soon(engine/trans), this is merely for ideas and feedback on what has worked and what has not.

Since I have gotten into Jeeps, like most, I have really fell in love with the CJ. My goal is to one day restore one of these things, both when I have the extra time, money, and knowledge. I'd like to get started a little bit now so that I can have an idea of where I'm headed when that day comes.

So here is what I am thinking of what I would want to build, tell me what you guys think and what would work and what wouldn't. How much could I expect the build to run, where are good places to shop and how easy is the install and so forth?

-Looking at building a CJ-7, preferably later model. (I'm assuming the later the model the better but I could be wrong). Yellow in color.

-Is to be used as a summer toy, weekend cruiser, not much off roading with this one. (Already have my TJ for that)

-Looking for about a 3-4" Lift that rides very comfortably, I've heard OME makes a good stable riding lift but you guys would know better than me. Would probably go with Bilstein Shocks and either 33" or 35" KM2s.

-350 Chevy Small Block Engine
Here's where a few questions come in, some may sound stupid but I'm trying to learn a bit here.
What would work better, what do you guys prefer? A carberated engine or a fuel injected engine? Which one performs better with the 350?
How difficult is it to swap in a 350 small block and what other resources would I need for this to work properly?

-Transmission
Not really sure what to go with here, I know I want a manual transmission. My question is, which manual transmission works best with a 350 small block engine? Looking for a good durable transmission but doesnt need to be to extreme, wont be a mud bogger.

-Transfer Case
Same with this one, unsure what to go with, what are some good transfer case setups with the 350 small block engine?

-Axles
I am thinking of going with a Dana 44 rear and unsure about the front, what would you guys suggest?

These are just a few basic questions I have. Obviously I don't plan on doing this build anytime soon, but it's always a good thing to plan ahead. I'm just curious as to what will all be involved in this rebuild. I will probably find a CJ that is in decent condition, will TRY to find something without much frame rust but I'll see.

Thanks a lot!

If I think of anymore questions I'll make sure to post them.

catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.