You know you drive a CJ when..... - Page 156 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > You know you drive a CJ when.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #2326
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA View Post
You've just put on your 14th new starter and you hear the dreaded gnashing, metal grinding sound of your starter drive gear exploding when you try to start your Jeep.........AGAIN!
I think something else is wrong....

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2327
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
You've just put on your 14th new starter and you hear the dreaded gnashing, metal grinding sound of your starter drive gear exploding when you try to start your Jeep.........AGAIN!
I think it might be time for a new ring gear.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2328
RARECJ8

ring gear or is it being shimmed correctly?

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #2329
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
I think it might be time for a new ring gear.
Actually when I originally had this issue I did replace the ring gear. Its about a year old. The number of 14 was a comedic exaggeration - was just remembering a recent post where someone was going through the dreaded starter issue and had replaced the starter several times.

I had this issue a little over a year ago - after several new starters and a ring gear my mech friend finally made up a shim and got the starter to function without self destructing. The only thing that was not replaced was the bell housing. Recently I had a motor failure and my mech friend is doing the swap out at his home shop. He calls me up last night to tell me it got the swap done and the motor started and mentioned that the starter made the dreaded gnashing metal to metal sound it did when the problem started originally. This is with a different block, bellhousing, alignment dowels were checked prior to install and a practically brand new starter. I am not sure it will develop into the same issue but I am scared that it will.

This starter thing is one problem that many have and few fine the same root cause. Its the very worst part of owning a CJ IMO.....everything else is gravy.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #2330
larock
1983 CJ7 

Your friend pops the clutch and you and up replacing a rear axle, rear driveshaft and 2 u joints
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2331
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larock
Your friend pops the clutch and you and up replacing a rear axle, rear driveshaft and 2 u joints
Ha, just did this today. I have a full floating rear and blew the hub apart.
Jack718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2332
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:

This starter thing is one problem that many have and few fine the same root cause. Its the very worst part of owning a CJ IMO.....everything else is gravy.
AMC uses Ford starters there should be no shims involved. In all my years as a mechanic and with Ford I have never heard of or seen a case where shimming a starter was needed. If the starter is chewing teeth maybe it is your source of starters. I only have ever used Ford Reman or Napa starters on my Fords and AMCs. I have never had a problem.
Now if you're missing block alignment dowels or missing the plate between the block and bell housing either will give you a short lived starter.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #2333
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I'm thinking the block plate is missing....

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2334
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Flywheel cover? Im following along.. What block plate?
billybooster2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #2335
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

You hang a quick left turn coming off the highway and out of the corner of your eye... watch your cell phone, which you left on the passenger seat, go flying out the passenger doorway and tumble to a stop in the median.

or

You honestly don't know how to answer "What year is your jeep?" (or simply don't have the time to explain the truth)

or

You're afraid to actually drive your jeep, because on the last trip... everything ran great, sounded great, stopped great, shifted great, nothing fell off... is was a perfect trip... and you want to remember her that way!
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #2336
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlwk@snowhill.com View Post
You honestly don't know how to answer "What year is your jeep?" (or simply don't have the time to explain the truth)
I tell people its titled as an 81, but remember that johnny cash song about the caddillac? Well its kinda like that.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #2337
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
You hang a quick left turn coming off the highway and out of the corner of your eye... watch your cell phone, which you left on the passenger seat, go flying out the passenger doorway and tumble to a stop in the median.

or

or

You're afraid to actually drive your jeep, because on the last trip... everything ran great, sounded great, stopped great, shifted great, nothing fell off... is was a perfect trip... and you want to remember her that way!
Oh man... I've lost count of the times my cell phone has done that in my CJ taking a hard turn! Skates across the highway like a hockey puck!
One time i even had my half soft doors on and i took a turn.. It slid across hit the door.. And because the damn smartphone is so thin, slipped right down between where the door seal against the tub sill..
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #2338
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
that's kind of where my mind is going.
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #2339
EgulAye
°||||°

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post

that's kind of where my mind is going.
Block plate? Hmmm

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #2340
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:

You honestly don't know how to answer "What year is your jeep?" (or simply don't have the time to explain the truth)!
" the title says '78" is always my response.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.