you guys are working wonders today......here's a steering query. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > you guys are working wonders today......here's a steering query.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Foxybingo
1980 CJ5 

you guys are working wonders today......here's a steering query.

Everyone has been great helping me with ball joint issues but here's a new challenge. My CJ5 is right hand drive and steers with a track rod end that attaches to the main track rod. This is not a home made effort.....however I want to do a tie for flip and thanks to Keith for great advice. When I flip the track rod....the kink and hole for the tie bar to go into is not the best......question is can I put a straight tie rod from steering knuckle to steering knuckle and a new tie bar from steering knuckle to steering box......as per later CJs. I only ask because the steering knuckle with 2 holes for track rod ends and the steering box are on the same side of the jeep.....will this cause issues when the suspension flexed?.....hope this makes sense.

Foxybingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Foxybingo
1980 CJ5 

Current set up.
forumrunner_20111130_172852.jpg  
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Foxybingo
1980 CJ5 

Proposed knuckle to attach tie rod.....before tie rod flip.
forumrunner_20111130_173046.jpg  
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to tie your steering box (on the right side) to the knuckle on the same (right) side, correct?

If I'm thinking correctly, that will make the tie rod from the steering box to the knuckle very short. Because it will be short, it will have to flex a lot on both ends when the axle flexes up and down. Unless I'm way off the reservation, I think this would reak havok on your steering when you are flexing.

Think about it this way: your tie rod is a set length (for obvious reasons). When the right side of the axle droops, the tie rod must droop also. The steering box is mounted to the frame, so that end cannot move. The other end is tied to the knuckle, which can. So, when the axle droops, the tie rod will pull on the knuckle, making the front wheels turn left. Its not as much of a problem with a left-hand jeep, because that tie rod runs the width of the vehicle, and the "droop steer" is not a problem.

Now, if you are hooking the steering box (on the right side) to the knuckle on the left side, ignore everything I've said, it should work just like the factory setups you mentioned.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Foxybingo
1980 CJ5 

How you first read it is correct. The knuckle on the left side only has one hole. I know it would affect steering when flexing, just wondered if anyone knew how dramatically?
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
CSP

It would be very dramatic. You want the drag link (bar from steering box to knuckle) to be as close to parallel as possible to the tie rod (knuckle to knuckle).

That would be a huge angle to go from the box to the right side knuckle. I highly doubt that you would have enough angularity built into the drag link end to even make the connection.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

I agree with CSP. It would be difficult to even make the connection.
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

This is no big deal, unless I'm missing something I can't see in the pictures...

Give anyone any ideas? this isn't the first time links have been fabricated and stacked...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, as JeepHammer has pointed out, that can be done. Stacking the Drag Link on top since you cannot flip that type of Tie Rod, that you have, around as it would face rearward. The hard part would be finding a Rod End Bearing with a male-threaded shank that had a threaded stud long enough to accept a another Rod End Bearing without the stud. Must fit tight also and here in the United States, Rod End Bearings or Heim Joints as they are sometimes refereed to, are usually not allowed to be used as steering components unless you have special titling for the vehicle, say a Hot Rod for instance.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.