york or gm type for onboard air? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > york or gm type for onboard air?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 05-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
lotus
Looks good plays hard
1985 CJ7 

york or gm type for onboard air?

Can I use the GM type A/C (round) compressor for onboard air or do I have to find a york? Do I need to add something to lubricate it since it is a dry comp?

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

I thought that was why the york was so great doesn't it have its own oil in the crank case?
Unread 06-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf498 View Post
I thought that was why the york was so great doesn't it have its own oil in the crank case?
Correct. From the info I have gathered for my future OBA, if you use a non-york compressor you will have to add an in-line oiler.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

The advantage of a York is that it has a wet sump - it's oiled by oil in the crankcase. Dry-sump compressors depend on oil or lubricant in the incoming air. So, if you use a dry-sump AC compressor as a utility air compressor, you'll have to install a pre-oiler to get some oil mist in the incoming air, and then you'll have to install an oil separator on the output to get the oil out, else you'll get oil on the inside of your tires, which won't help them.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Can I use the GM type A/C (round) compressor for onboard air or do I have to find a york? Do I need to add something to lubricate it since it is a dry comp?
I won't consider a Sanden or other type of radial compressor for an OBA compressor,
Simply because they don't have a 'Wet' crankcase.

Since the radial compressor doesn't have an oil reservoir, you have to add an oil 'mister' in the intake tract, then use an oil separator to get the piston lubrication back out of the air stream after the compressor,
OR,
You wind up with a dry compressor that doesn't last long, or you wind up with an air tank full of oil muck.

----------

A York still needs an oil separator after the compressor, but since it is crank case oiled, and the intake air is NOT being injected directly with oil, there isn't very much oil that comes through a York.
It's very manageable.
------------------------------

The third choice for OBA compressor is an 'Oil-less' electric compressor.
No oil issues at all with an electric compressor, and if you aren't constantly using the compressor (and most of us don't) the electric is much easier to mount, cheaper and cost effective.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
jason m
Web Wheeler

im using the stock sanden pump on my 4.0. i didn't install a oiler, i just used a piece of 1'' sch40 pipe thats threaded into the suction side of the pump with a chunk of sponge that i wet with ATF. say what you will but its been like that for 2 years now and ever time i go out i use it to pump up my 39's.
i soak the sponge every 2-3 trips, do i get some ATF coming out the other side ya but who cares. its oil it wont rot my rims

ive lost sevral beads and it makes plenty of pressure to seat them agin. i figure when/if i burn it out i will just get another from the junkyard and run that the same way. i plumb it to a samll tank, i have a blow valve on the tank. i dont keep it on all the time just when i need air for tires. here's a link to some pictures

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=Image012.jpg

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=Image010.jpg

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=Image011.jpg

the tank is mounted under the pass side seat, jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.