YJ Windshield Frame on CJ / ? Top ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ Windshield Frame on CJ / ? Top ????

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2002, 03:58 AM   #1
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

YJ Windshield Frame on CJ / ? Top ????

I have a bobbed CJ-8 and plan a YJ Windshield frame, will a stock CJ Top attach to the YJ frame ?

Reason: I am new to the Jeep think, I have always driven Ford Trucks and thought a closed in vehicle would be different. Looked at everything out there and decided the Jeep would be the way to go. So, looking at the deforster setup I thought the YJ was a better design than the CJ and also a friend had a YJ frame he gave me. I am now interested to find out if there is a differance between the YJ hard tops and the CJ hard tops, please help!

Thanks,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
CSP

Well the defroster ducts in the windshield won't line up with the ones on the CJ cowl. The tabs that keep the windshield upright also don't line up between the two.

As far as tops go they are very similar. The rear liftgate is where the big difference is. On a CJ you open the liftgate and then the tailgate. On a YJ you open the tailgate first and then the liftgate. The YJ top will work on a CJ if you grind a lip off the bottom of the liftgate. The YJ windshield frame isn't necessary to run a YJ top though.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Thanks for replying.

So what you are saying is, if I run the YJ windshield frame I will need to run new duct work and support tabs and I can run a CJ hard top while using the YJ frame; is that about it?

Unread 09-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #4
CSP

There is no "duct work". You will either have to cut the windshield frame to match the ducts on the tub, or vice versa.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2002, 05:47 PM   #5
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

There is no duct work on the tub...
The tub is an aluminum Tub from JP Off-Road and it must be alittle different from a stock CJ tub.
I purchased a YJ Dash panel thinking I would be covered, I guess I have homework to do.

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.