YJ tub on a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ tub on a CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
70cj5

YJ tub on a CJ7

How hard is it to mount a YJ tub on a CJ-7? What main stuff I'm worried about is the heater, pedels, and body mounts.

06 LJ, Rubicon, 6sp
70cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

use the yj heater, move the mounts in front of the rear tires, and the rear mounts will be about an inch (check me on this) futher apart. Just a lot of work, not to bad though.
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The YJ boxes I have seen use a different cable set up and a vacumn operated vent door. If using the CJ dash, use the CJ box and if you got the YJ box, use its motor (91 and up uses a larger motor). Leave the tub mounts alone and for the ones by the rear tires, use a new square washer and nut placed in the rearmost part of the subchannel. That way you don't cut off, move, and reweld the CJ frame mount. For the crossmember mounts, cut the flat plate that holds the hole and shift the hole outward the inch or so it needs.....that should be the only frame cutting and welding. Your other concerns should be the dash defrost vents and the tailgate cable tabs (both are cut out of a bad CJ tub and welded in)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cj5
How hard is it to mount a YJ tub on a CJ-7? What main stuff I'm worried about is the heater, pedels, and body mounts.
May I ask WHY? Don't know much about the YJ, but is it superior in terms of tub? All I know is YJ=Square Headlights=Ewww
Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
LivesIn10sly

I'm actually in the middle of this myself. I have 4 days into it. So far I've stripped the YJ tub, cut the necessary holes, hammered out a couple of dents, layed down a bass layer of paint (to prevent an surface rust while it sits outside), stripped the CJ, moved the undercarriage/heater/duct work over, and some other odds and ends. It's a little time consuming, but not really that hard. There are a couple of really good write ups on this topic, you'll just have to search and find them. There's one on here that I started that includes a great link from a guy that did this, too. It's only a couple of weeks old so I'm sure you can find it.

The holes that you'll need to cut are:
Gas filler tube
defroster holes in the cowling (if you're using the CJ stuff)
clutch linkage hole

Most of the body mounts will line up. Two by the rear wheels need holes drilled in the tub. The rear most mounts in the cross member don't work at all. Most people cut them off and weld them where they need to be. I'll deal with it when I get there.

I'm also using the stock CJ spare tire carrier in the YJ tailgate hinge brackets (thank you, LittleRed). The hinges were a PITA to cut with the sawzall, but I eventually made it through them. Supposedly this will support a fairly large tire. I'm only running 33's, so I should be fine. The latch takes a little imagination...I'm just drilling some extra holes in mine. This also means that I'll have to use my CJ tailgate. Which is cool cuz it keeps more of the CJ look. There's just some holes and the backing plate that you have to play with to get it to work right. Not hard, though.
The undercarriage surprisingly enough bolts right into the YJ tub. All the holes are the same. The only extra holes I needed were for the defroster ducts and the screws to hold them in. If you're going to use the YJ heater, you'll have to use the YJ controls. You'll also have to spend some time splicing wires into the harness. I personally think the CJ stuff is easier. Mine heats awesomely anyhow..no need to upgrade.

The biggest lesson so far: buy enough drill bits and jigsaw blades from the get-go. It's a major PITA to head back out just for a stupid bit or blade.

I have some pics, but I'm not doing a write up until I'm finished. I should be nearly finished by the end of the week. Tomorrow I'll get the steering column bolted into the new tub, the pedals switched over, the wiring harness moved over, and the dash back in. Then on Wed., I'll switch the tubs and start putting the rest back together.

I think this project is well worth the time going into it. I discovered that most of the floor pan was separating in my CJ. I'm glad I decided to do the switch now so that it's totally ready by spring time. After the tub comes the lift, and accessories.

Bryan
[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
...much more to come soon...[/CENTER]
LivesIn10sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
LivesIn10sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
May I ask WHY? Don't know much about the YJ, but is it superior in terms of tub? All I know is YJ=Square Headlights=Ewww
The YJ tub is close in terms of dimensions to the CJ. It provides a newer, rust free tub. Usually the only part utilized is from the firewall back. The CJ front end bolts right up to the YJ tub. Round headlights are still there
You could even put your CJ roll bars into the YJ tub if you wanted to. Most everything is a direct bolt up.

Bryan
[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhhh ok. THanks, lol.
Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Like LivesIn10sly said, search. All of the info on this swap can be had simply by searching here, cjoffroad.com and jeepsunlimited.com (CJ forum). I did my first one back in 1997 and have posted the info too many times over the years to keep writing out the whole process. There's more than one way to approach some of the stuff. The last one I did was over the Summer helping out another Jeeper...I team of 5 of us pretty much knocked out the whole job in a day (including disassembling the CJ-7), the guy just had to finish up plugging in wires, putting in his seats, etc and was driving it around a couple of days later. He took care of any parts runs and did grunt work, two of the other guys did grunt work, one did the welding, and I took care of the mods and was the 'go to' guy. My swaps are on my web page.

BTW: LivesIn10sly, you coulda just knocked the tailgate hinge pins out with a hammer & punch.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I summarized all the steps here when I did the last swap

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/thirdproject22.php

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
70cj5

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I see a lot more YJ tubs and was just wanting to know how long to wait for a good CJ one. Guess I look for a CJ and if a good YJ comes along at a good price I do that.
06 LJ, Rubicon, 6sp

Last edited by 70cj5; 01-17-2006 at 09:42 AM..
70cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
LivesIn10sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
BTW: LivesIn10sly, you coulda just knocked the tailgate hinge pins out with a hammer & punch.
I must not have been hitting them hard enough...they weren't moving. Besides, sawzall=carnage=fun!!

Thanks,
Bryan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.