YJ tub on CJ Frame help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ tub on CJ Frame help!!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
xj89

YJ tub on CJ Frame help!!

Hey Guys ive been on this site for a while usually over on the Xj forum but recently picked up a CJ. Its an 86 with an inline 6, 5 speed. The body is trashed an unsalvagable so i also picked up a tub from a YJ for 250 bucks (iheard the where swapapable, and $250 sounded a lot better then close to $3000) My main question is what do i have to do to make them compatible. Im going to use the CJ grill and Fenders, hood and top. I head something about the steering box being moved higher or lower?

Also Im wondering if anybody has a diagram of the monting points i was told that they may not line up correctly so what wil i have to do to remedy this problem? And is theere anything else that wont line up or be off?

Thanks for any help im sry if this has been covered before but i was unsure what to search for.

xj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

YJ

CJ
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Yup, it's been covered here plenty...in fact there's at least two active threads dealing with apsects of this swap that are still on the first page. Try a search on 'YJ tub' and you should dig up plenty, also spend some time on my web site (URL is in my sig). I've done a handful of these swaps and was among the first batch of guys to start doing them (Rick Boiros is the first that I'm aware of followed by Steve Jax and JR Farrar...I got my pointers from those guys and then threw my own twists in here & there) 10+ years ago and there's several guys on here who have done it since and a few currently in progress.

You don't have to mess with the steering box, that's only for guys swapping CJ front clips onto YJ's due to differences in the frames...not an issue for what you're doing. The body mounts just in front of the rear tires don't line up, but you can just slip a nut into the body channel, and the ones on the rear crossmember don't line up which is easily corrected with a die grinder. There's other options people have come up with for those, but those are the simplest solutions. You'll also need address the defroster duct and the windshield knobs and trace some of the CJ firewall cut-outs. It really is pretty simple.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Ditto that. Read Jeepskate's stuff a bunch.
I'm almost done with my tub swap- and I've never done anything remotely close to this before. Very simple.
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
xj89

Thanks guys for all the Help it seems simplier then i thought, i gues to really see what we need to do we need to put the yj tub ontop of the Cj frame to see f or sure, any other help or ideas please let me know. thanks again. ill post pics of the progress if anybody is interested.
xj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Everything I gave you is 'for sure'...like I said, I've done several of these swaps. Read my site (look at the Body sections for both Jeepskate and 1 Last 7 as I did slightly different things on each of those) and do the search here as there are a few other guys who have posted write-ups of their swaps.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Here are the list of things you can do to make the tub look like a CJ

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/yello...dproject22.php

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.