yj top-window confusion on cj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I have a YJ top on my '86 CJ7 and it works perfectly. The thing is, if you use a YJ top, you also need the YJ hardware and doors. I like mine alot better than the CJ top.
Almost right, you only need the YJ tailgate to make it work right, the front doors are the same fit.


Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
CJHVN
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Duluth
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Almost right, you only need the YJ tailgate to make it work right, the front doors are the same fit.
You're right, the front doors from a 87-96 YJ are the same fit for a CJ-7. There are some handle and latch differences, but it's not a big issue.

You're both right and wrong about the tailgate issue. Some YJ hardtops have no latch mechanism on the liftgate and are held shut by the YJ tailgate. Some YJ liftgates have a t-handle on the outside and cable/latches on the inside of the liftgate that opens and closes the liftgate from the outside exactly like a stock CJ hardtop. This works perfectly with a CJ-7 with a stock tailgate. I know, I have one.

85 CJ-7, 4.0L, twin stick/clocked flat Dana 300, SOA, 36" TSL's, 30/44 locked, Warn X8000i

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHVN View Post
You're right, the front doors from a 87-96 YJ are the same fit for a CJ-7. There are some handle and latch differences, but it's not a big issue.

You're both right and wrong about the tailgate issue. Some YJ hardtops have no latch mechanism on the liftgate and are held shut by the YJ tailgate. Some YJ liftgates have a t-handle on the outside and cable/latches on the inside of the liftgate that opens and closes the liftgate from the outside exactly like a stock CJ hardtop. This works perfectly with a CJ-7 with a stock tailgate. I know, I have one.
There is a current thread about that, I thought the early YJ ones would work with the CJ back door. What year is yours?

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 PM
CJHVN
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Duluth
Posts: 132
I have an 85 CJ-7. As far as the hardtop, I know it's a YJ hardtop, but I couldn't tell you what year it is.

It has a full glass rear liftgate with a small strip of plastic across the bottom with a t-handle. It also has a rear defroster and wiper. I'm going to try swapping the non-locking t-handle with one from an old garage door that is lockable. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

85 CJ-7, 4.0L, twin stick/clocked flat Dana 300, SOA, 36" TSL's, 30/44 locked, Warn X8000i

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHVN View Post
I have an 85 CJ-7. As far as the hardtop, I know it's a YJ hardtop, but I couldn't tell you what year it is.

It has a full glass rear liftgate with a small strip of plastic across the bottom with a t-handle. It also has a rear defroster and wiper. I'm going to try swapping the non-locking t-handle with one from an old garage door that is lockable. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I believe the garage door handle should work.

OK, it is good to know for sure that the early YJ tops fit right, thanks.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 AM
BigTDog
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Interlochen
Posts: 108
4WD sells "bran spankin" locking t-handles with 2 keys for $16
BigTDog is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
CJHVN
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Duluth
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTDog View Post
4WD sells "bran spankin" locking t-handles with 2 keys for $16
Northern Tool has the same handles with 2 keys for $8 and no shipping.

Just a heads up.

85 CJ-7, 4.0L, twin stick/clocked flat Dana 300, SOA, 36" TSL's, 30/44 locked, Warn X8000i

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Bubba Ray
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 1,696
Jeepskate,my buddies CJ has a hardtop from a YJ. The only mod he made was to trim the liftgate to clear the CJ tailgate. What do you mean by needing to hold the tailgate shut? Did you mean the liftgate?
Bubba Ray is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
Jeepskate,my buddies CJ has a hardtop from a YJ. The only mod he made was to trim the liftgate to clear the CJ tailgate. What do you mean by needing to hold the tailgate shut? Did you mean the liftgate?
The later model YJ top needs the tub door to hold the top's door closed. It has no latch.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
Jeepskate,my buddies CJ has a hardtop from a YJ. The only mod he made was to trim the liftgate to clear the CJ tailgate. What do you mean by needing to hold the tailgate shut? Did you mean the liftgate?

No, I meant the tailgate. I didn't cut my liftgate to clear the tailgate...made it easier to resell the unmolested top later when I needed cash for other mods and put my CJ top back on.

'86 CJ-7 Laredo: 4.2,T-999,D300,D30/D44,'94 YJ tub, full cage, Shrockworks rockers, OYR corners, AC,cruise,restored seats,3 tops,2.5" Superlift,F-T shackle reversal, RS9000x's,35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
'83 Scrambler: time & money pit under construction with parts from CJ's,YJ's,TJ's,FSJ's,GM,Ford,IH,Honda,Toyota and a whole lotta aftermarket & custom stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeepskate is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
crcj7
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: cary
Posts: 759
i would like to put a yj soft top on my 86 mostly cause i can find them used and dont have 500$ to get a best top how hard is it is the back windo the only problem
crcj7 is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
willy_lou_81
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Clackamas
Posts: 3
What about this: I have a hardtop off of a '92 with no rear hatch/decklid. I am finding used decklids for sale that claim to be for a 87-95 Wrangler, but do have the T-hadle.

My question is: can you take a hatch with a t-handle, bolt it up to the hinges on a 92 hardtop not meant for a T handle...and be good to go? Could you just take the T handle off, or leave it on there?

It seems to me if I went that route, the tailgate would hold the rear hatch shut and the T handle could either be turned to "help" keep it closed...or I could take that T handle off and plug the hole, and if I wanted to lock the back I would just lock the tailgate shut, which is securing the decklid.

If anyone knows the answer to this, please let me know..I wanna get this thing put together ASAP but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can't use.

Thanks!
willy_lou_81 is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
CJ Chet
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Posts: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj7 View Post
i would like to put a yj soft top on my 86 mostly cause i can find them used and dont have 500$ to get a best top how hard is it is the back windo the only problem
The YJ top will bolt right on, BUT, you have to have the YJ hardware and doors (I used hard half doors) to go with it. The only problem (?) will be a (aprox.) 1" gap between the tailgate and the rear canvas. I had one on my '86 and I liked it alot. Got rid of it for a hardtop, but I think I'm gonna go back!
Also, keep in mind that there are two types of YJ tops. One with square top doors, and the other with round top doors. I don't know what the model year breakdown is, but it's something to be aware of.

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
CJ Chet is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM
molawnboy
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 193
I got a 95 hardtop on my 83. It has the t handle and cables. I had to trim a little plastic from the bottom of the lift gate to close it after the cj tailgate is closed. Works fine and seals decently.

Just beware, despite popular opinion, de-chroming your Jeep will not make it climb Everest, ford the Pacific, out run John Force, crawl up the side of the Grand Canyon, tow D-11 dozers out of the mud or even start every time for that matter. You need hi-steer for all that...
molawnboy is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
SpideYJeep
Member
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Lay, TRIP!
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_lou_81 View Post
What about this: I have a hardtop off of a '92 with no rear hatch/decklid. I am finding used decklids for sale that claim to be for a 87-95 Wrangler, but do have the T-hadle.

My question is: can you take a hatch with a t-handle, bolt it up to the hinges on a 92 hardtop not meant for a T handle...and be good to go? Could you just take the T handle off, or leave it on there?

It seems to me if I went that route, the tailgate would hold the rear hatch shut and the T handle could either be turned to "help" keep it closed...or I could take that T handle off and plug the hole, and if I wanted to lock the back I would just lock the tailgate shut, which is securing the decklid.

If anyone knows the answer to this, please let me know..I wanna get this thing put together ASAP but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can't use.

Thanks!
I'm not sure about the fit of the liftgate (rear hatch) to the hardtop so make sure that they allow you to bolt it up to test proper fitment.
The only other thing is that if you have the stock CJ tailgate, it won't secure the liftgate. Do the liftgates that you're considering have a locking T-Handle?

Wrenching isn't the problem, it's the brains attached to the hands...unfortunately, I'm lacking some of the former so that's why I'm asking you guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Carter Confusion 78CJFIVE Jeep CJ Forum 25 11-08-2015 11:04 AM
Electrical confusion.. dkeene Jeep CJ Forum 4 10-11-2012 04:31 PM
Confusion re. CJ spindrift Jeep CJ Forum 15 05-14-2008 12:44 PM
YF Carb confusion 81CJ7Renegade Jeep CJ Forum 2 11-28-2005 05:16 AM
Carb Confusion? ollietonk Jeep CJ Forum 0 12-23-2004 01:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome