yj top-window confusion on cj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > yj top-window confusion on cj

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I have a YJ top on my '86 CJ7 and it works perfectly. The thing is, if you use a YJ top, you also need the YJ hardware and doors. I like mine alot better than the CJ top.
Almost right, you only need the YJ tailgate to make it work right, the front doors are the same fit.

Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Almost right, you only need the YJ tailgate to make it work right, the front doors are the same fit.
You're right, the front doors from a 87-96 YJ are the same fit for a CJ-7. There are some handle and latch differences, but it's not a big issue.

You're both right and wrong about the tailgate issue. Some YJ hardtops have no latch mechanism on the liftgate and are held shut by the YJ tailgate. Some YJ liftgates have a t-handle on the outside and cable/latches on the inside of the liftgate that opens and closes the liftgate from the outside exactly like a stock CJ hardtop. This works perfectly with a CJ-7 with a stock tailgate. I know, I have one.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHVN View Post
You're right, the front doors from a 87-96 YJ are the same fit for a CJ-7. There are some handle and latch differences, but it's not a big issue.

You're both right and wrong about the tailgate issue. Some YJ hardtops have no latch mechanism on the liftgate and are held shut by the YJ tailgate. Some YJ liftgates have a t-handle on the outside and cable/latches on the inside of the liftgate that opens and closes the liftgate from the outside exactly like a stock CJ hardtop. This works perfectly with a CJ-7 with a stock tailgate. I know, I have one.
There is a current thread about that, I thought the early YJ ones would work with the CJ back door. What year is yours?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #19
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

I have an 85 CJ-7. As far as the hardtop, I know it's a YJ hardtop, but I couldn't tell you what year it is.

It has a full glass rear liftgate with a small strip of plastic across the bottom with a t-handle. It also has a rear defroster and wiper. I'm going to try swapping the non-locking t-handle with one from an old garage door that is lockable. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHVN View Post
I have an 85 CJ-7. As far as the hardtop, I know it's a YJ hardtop, but I couldn't tell you what year it is.

It has a full glass rear liftgate with a small strip of plastic across the bottom with a t-handle. It also has a rear defroster and wiper. I'm going to try swapping the non-locking t-handle with one from an old garage door that is lockable. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I believe the garage door handle should work.

OK, it is good to know for sure that the early YJ tops fit right, thanks.
Unread 11-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #21
BigTDog
1985 CJ7 

4WD sells "bran spankin" locking t-handles with 2 keys for $16
BigTDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTDog View Post
4WD sells "bran spankin" locking t-handles with 2 keys for $16
Northern Tool has the same handles with 2 keys for $8 and no shipping.

Just a heads up.

Unread 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Jeepskate,my buddies CJ has a hardtop from a YJ. The only mod he made was to trim the liftgate to clear the CJ tailgate. What do you mean by needing to hold the tailgate shut? Did you mean the liftgate?
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
Jeepskate,my buddies CJ has a hardtop from a YJ. The only mod he made was to trim the liftgate to clear the CJ tailgate. What do you mean by needing to hold the tailgate shut? Did you mean the liftgate?
The later model YJ top needs the tub door to hold the top's door closed. It has no latch.
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post

No, I meant the tailgate. I didn't cut my liftgate to clear the tailgate...made it easier to resell the unmolested top later when I needed cash for other mods and put my CJ top back on.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #26
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i would like to put a yj soft top on my 86 mostly cause i can find them used and dont have 500$ to get a best top how hard is it is the back windo the only problem
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #27
willy_lou_81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What about this: I have a hardtop off of a '92 with no rear hatch/decklid. I am finding used decklids for sale that claim to be for a 87-95 Wrangler, but do have the T-hadle.

My question is: can you take a hatch with a t-handle, bolt it up to the hinges on a 92 hardtop not meant for a T handle...and be good to go? Could you just take the T handle off, or leave it on there?

It seems to me if I went that route, the tailgate would hold the rear hatch shut and the T handle could either be turned to "help" keep it closed...or I could take that T handle off and plug the hole, and if I wanted to lock the back I would just lock the tailgate shut, which is securing the decklid.

If anyone knows the answer to this, please let me know..I wanna get this thing put together ASAP but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can't use.

Thanks!
willy_lou_81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj7 View Post
i would like to put a yj soft top on my 86 mostly cause i can find them used and dont have 500$ to get a best top how hard is it is the back windo the only problem
The YJ top will bolt right on, BUT, you have to have the YJ hardware and doors (I used hard half doors) to go with it. The only problem (?) will be a (aprox.) 1" gap between the tailgate and the rear canvas. I had one on my '86 and I liked it alot. Got rid of it for a hardtop, but I think I'm gonna go back!
Also, keep in mind that there are two types of YJ tops. One with square top doors, and the other with round top doors. I don't know what the model year breakdown is, but it's something to be aware of.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
molawnboy
1983 CJ7 

I got a 95 hardtop on my 83. It has the t handle and cables. I had to trim a little plastic from the bottom of the lift gate to close it after the cj tailgate is closed. Works fine and seals decently.
Just beware, despite popular opinion, de-chroming your Jeep will not make it climb Everest, ford the Pacific, out run John Force, crawl up the side of the Grand Canyon, tow D-11 dozers out of the mud or even start every time for that matter. You need hi-steer for all that...
molawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_lou_81 View Post
What about this: I have a hardtop off of a '92 with no rear hatch/decklid. I am finding used decklids for sale that claim to be for a 87-95 Wrangler, but do have the T-hadle.

My question is: can you take a hatch with a t-handle, bolt it up to the hinges on a 92 hardtop not meant for a T handle...and be good to go? Could you just take the T handle off, or leave it on there?

It seems to me if I went that route, the tailgate would hold the rear hatch shut and the T handle could either be turned to "help" keep it closed...or I could take that T handle off and plug the hole, and if I wanted to lock the back I would just lock the tailgate shut, which is securing the decklid.

If anyone knows the answer to this, please let me know..I wanna get this thing put together ASAP but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something I can't use.

Thanks!
I'm not sure about the fit of the liftgate (rear hatch) to the hardtop so make sure that they allow you to bolt it up to test proper fitment.
The only other thing is that if you have the stock CJ tailgate, it won't secure the liftgate. Do the liftgates that you're considering have a locking T-Handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.