yj top-window confusion on cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > yj top-window confusion on cj

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
newjeepowner

yj top-window confusion on cj

I have a '79 cj but it came with a yj top. I have no glass or struts in the back but I did get a lower "frame" for the window which does not have a handle (i hear some do). After reading some of the threads, I'm looking for help on a couple of points

1. Is the only thing that holds the bottom "frame" to anything the struts and window themselves? If anyone has a close picture of this setup it would help me.

2. What holds the window down/latched aside from its weight as their does not seem to be a latching mechanism in the bottom frame.

3. As this top is on a CJ, i've read of problems that requires you to latch the rear window from the inside. Is this the only issue in using this top on this jeep? (although I'm still confused by how it latches)

While I'm looking for a cheap top (plastic with duct tape is fine for now), any help with the above is appreciated as if I figure this out, i might go plexiglass and live with what I have.

Thanks

newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Even if your top had the back glass and was in perfect condition, it would only work RIGHT on a YJ. Yes, some folks have YJ tops on CJs and vise versa and say they fit, but they don't work/operate as they should. This was covered many time here so do asearch for it, I've explained 3 or 4 times myself.....if it was me, I'd sell the YJ top and find a CJ top.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think through 1990 YJ tops had a handle and latch but it is held closed by the YJ tailgate anyway so after 90 or so Jeep finally figured out they didn't need to have a handle.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I have a YJ top on my '86 CJ7 and it works perfectly. The thing is, if you use a YJ top, you also need the YJ hardware and doors. I like mine alot better than the CJ top.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Anyone know a workaround fix for the tailgate/liftgate issue with a YJ top?

Will a CJ liftgate work on a YJ top? I have found several YJ tops with no liftgate.

How about fabbing up some outer latch handles on the CJ tailgate? So you can latch it from the outside.

YJ tops sure are a lot easier to find, especially a good one.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I'm gonna explain this one *last* time, so save it/print it out:

CJ: tailgate closes first and latches from the inside, then the hatch closes over the lip of the tailgate and latches with a keyed handle on the outside.

YJ: the hatch closes first (early models latch with a handle on the outside, later models don't latch), then the tailgate closes with it's lip *outside* of the hatch with a rotated 1/2 door handle and a lock.

If you put a CJ top on a YJ, it's a no-brainer simple deal.

If you put a YJ top on a CJ, then you need to devise some way of keeping the tailgate shut...when I did mine 16 years ago, I put a couple of extra chunks of rubber on the factory CJ spare tire carrier to hold the tailgate shut. There is a bit of a friction fit, but not enough to hold it shut over bumps or while wheeling.

The hatches do not swap between tops.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
newjeepowner

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
I'm gonna explain this one *last* time, so save it/print it out:

CJ: tailgate closes first and latches from the inside, then the hatch closes over the lip of the tailgate and latches with a keyed handle on the outside.

YJ: the hatch closes first (early models latch with a handle on the outside, later models don't latch), then the tailgate closes with it's lip *outside* of the hatch with a rotated 1/2 door handle and a lock.

If you put a CJ top on a YJ, it's a no-brainer simple deal.

If you put a YJ top on a CJ, then you need to devise some way of keeping the tailgate shut...when I did mine 16 years ago, I put a couple of extra chunks of rubber on the factory CJ spare tire carrier to hold the tailgate shut. There is a bit of a friction fit, but not enough to hold it shut over bumps or while wheeling.

The hatches do not swap between tops.
Thanks for the clarification. I saw a number of threads but some of the posts had various opinions. Much appreciated
newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sooo... I can put a YJ hardtop on my fiberglass (no tailgate) CJ without any issue? I thought the tub dimensions were different. If this is the case, this is great news!

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

It will definitely fit (come on now, you can't tell me you haven't seen the multitude of threads on swapping YJ tubs onto CJ-7's...the dimensions are the same) but the hatch may stil present an issue or two. It may not clear the lip on the tub, and if it does, you probably won't get a decent seal which may or may not matter to you, and you won't be able to lock it unless you can swap in a CJ handle.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

1991 was the last year for a 'T' handle and interior latches on the YJ hardtop liftgates. On 1992 and newer YJ hardtops the liftgate has no 'T' handle or inside latches, so the tailgate is the only thing that keeps it closed.

One more difference between CJ and YJ liftgates is that the 'T' handle on a CJ liftgate is keyed and can be locked for security. None of the YJ liftgate 'T' handles are keyed so they can not be locked. This means that if you put a YJ hardtop on your CJ anyone can easily open the liftgate and get inside your Jeep.
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
White92
1984 CJ7 

What about soft tops? Will a CJ7 soft top work on a YJ and vise versa?

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
rum8028

I just purchase a YJ top for my CJ. I am a little confused about why I have to unzip the rear panel and reach in to latch my tailgate. I need a rear CJ panel. Any sugguestions?
rum8028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
rum8028

the problem I am having is with the softop of a yj on a cj. I have to reach in to latch/unlatch the tailgate. It swings down. Eventually my zipper and fabric will show wear and tear just from doing this. Is there still a rear panel for a cj?
rum8028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

There's a universal panel and tailgate bar setup for the *aftermarket* tops...I'm guessing you're using a factory YJ top, so you're SOL I'm afraid.
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA View Post
1991 was the last year for a 'T' handle and interior latches on the YJ hardtop liftgates.

One more difference between CJ and YJ liftgates is that the 'T' handle on a CJ liftgate is keyed and can be locked for security. None of the YJ liftgate 'T' handles are keyed so they can not be locked.
Two things:

#1 - My YJ hardtop has a "T" handle and interior latches that hold the liftgate down, so I won't have any issues using this top on my CJ-7? I won't have the typical "tailgate/liftgate" issues, right?

#2 - Can you replace the "T" handle on a YJ hardtop with one from a pickup truck cap or garage door? I know you can on a CJ hardtop. That way you could get around the non-locking liftgate problem.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)

Last edited by CJHVN; 04-24-2008 at 06:49 PM..
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.