YJ springs w/ R.E. conversion shakles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ springs w/ R.E. conversion shakles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Next project I'm starting is front suspension. I really wish I had 1000 bucks laying around for the OME 2.5 conversion kit but truth is I don't. And if I did, one large purchase like that would clearly be too much information for my better half lol. So I've decided to tackle this in steps. Picked these up this week.

Any input on what problems I might come across? I've read I might have to move front hangers forward...I think I'll get the springs in place and see where everything is lined up before I drill out the rivets. I've also read my front axle might go forward an inch. I've already found out I need front spring bushing as the R.E. shackle bushing are to small for the front spring eyelet

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's pretty straight forward.

The YJ springs are about 1" longer then stock CJ front springs, eye-to-eye, and they are a 1/2" wider. So, you need to replace the front hanger with a 2-1/2" variety, and move it approx. 1" forward on the frame. The stock shackles will work with longer bolts. You will also need wider spring plates for the front, and a different set of u-bolts, for the right passenger side especially, but I recommend replacing them all.

The longer springs in front will change the caster, so be prepared to either re-locate your springs perches, or use shims, to get back to factory caster.

The rear YJ springs bolt right up without modification.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7

The YJ springs are about 1" longer then stock CJ front springs, eye-to-eye, and they are a 1/2" wider. So, you need to replace the front hanger with a 2-1/2" variety, and move it approx. 1" forward on the frame. The stock shackles will work with longer bolts. You will also need wider spring plates for the front, and a different set of u-bolts, for the right passenger side especially, but I recommend replacing them all.

The longer springs in front will change the caster, so be prepared to either re-locate your springs perches, or use shims, to get back to factory caster.

Good luck,

Matt
Um..no
I don't need 2.5 hangers cause as stated I'm using conversion shackles. No disrespect but please read my post. I'm looking for input using parts listed. I have all new u bolts and plan on trying to re use spring plates with careful machining.
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
cjjohn
1985 CJ7 

I'm going to be watching this close! When I started my build I originally wanted to go 3 link front end, but I have blown my budget all to h*ll. I am starting to think about doing the same thing.
cjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Things I'm worried about are:

axle position, and if it affects steering at all.

Will I need to use shims for proper caster angle

Do front hangers need to move foward 1''
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport126 View Post

Do front hangers need to move foward 1''
Umm, no disrespect, but I think I answered all of those in my first reply.

Matt
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Waldomas
1984 CJ7 

So with the conversion shackles, you'll still use a CJ mount...prolly be easiest to move existing mounts forward.

I'd use existing (original) shackles with longer bolts and buy the conversion mount.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/CJ...kle_Hanger.htm

I used these, they bolted right in! The Crabtree mounts are very nice as well.
Waldomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Waldomas
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldomas
So with the conversion shackles, you'll still use a CJ mount...prolly be easiest to move existing mounts forward.

I'd use existing shackles with longer bolts and buy the conversion mount.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/CJ...kle_Hanger.htm

I used these, they bolted right in! The Crabtree mounts are very nice as well.
I still have 3 degree shims up front and should prolly change to at least 4 but I have the HD RE 4.5".
Really I should reweld the perches to correct caster. Sounds like a winter project.
Waldomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:

Do front hangers need to move forward 1''
Axle position will be moved forward about 1/2"... this may or may not cause interference between the end of pitman arm and the tie rod. A dropped pitman arm may remedy this problem as some of them are slightly shorter than stock.

You will need to shim the front axle for caster angle... particularly with those conversion shackles which I do not like (if it were me, I'd use wider shackle hangers like the conversion hangers made by M.O.R.E. along with HD shackles made for a YJ).

You do not need to relocate the shackle hangers forward with the conversion shackles you purchased (that's part of the reason I dislike them).

Also, I doubt you'll be able to modify your current spring plates to work with the 2.5" wide springs... there's just not enough material there to do this safely.

I'd recommend you consider what shackles to use in the rear. You can use your CJ shackles, but I would use some HD YJ shackles (the 4" length gives another 1/2' of lift and gives the springs enough room to flex the way they were designed to. Either way you want to match the shackle length in front and back (and before you ask... yes you may need to shim the rear axle to correct pinion angle).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Um..no
I don't need 2.5 hangers cause as stated I'm using conversion shackles. No disrespect but please read my post. I'm looking for input using parts listed. I have all new u bolts and plan on trying to re use spring plates with careful machining.
Umm..easy fella. Play it cool and you'll see these guys will generally bend-over-backwards to assist.

No disrespect, but if you do a little homework using the "search" function you'll find a couple of great thread on this topic - Matt's thread was especially good with providing pictures that may help you with your efforts. I used his thread to help with mine.

I think you'll have better luck trying to acquire some proper spring plates vice reworking the stock ones, but that's just my take.

I found that 4 degree shims on the front springs put the castor angle just right.

Good luck.

Cheers,
TrebleHook
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8

Axle position will be moved forward about 1/2"... this may or may not cause interference between the end of pitman arm and the tie rod. A dropped pitman arm may remedy this problem as some of them are slightly shorter than stock.

You will need to shim the front axle for caster angle... particularly with those conversion shackles which I do not like (if it were me, I'd use wider shackle hangers like the conversion hangers made by M.O.R.E. along with HD shackles made for a YJ).

You do not need to relocate the shackle hangers forward with the conversion shackles you purchased (that's part of the reason I dislike them).

Also, I doubt you'll be able to modify your current spring plates to work with the 2.5" wide springs... there's just not enough material there to do this safely.

I'd recommend you consider what shackles to use in the rear. You can use your CJ shackles, but I would use some HD YJ shackles (the 4" length gives another 1/2' of lift and gives the springs enough room to flex the way they were designed to. Either way you want to match the shackle length in front and back (and before you ask... yes you may need to shim the rear axle to correct pinion angle).
This was the kind of response I was looking for thank you . I'll update this thread to show what mods I've made and results.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7

Good luck,

Matt
In your second sentence, you state I need to replace my hangers? If I did that these 80 dollar R.E.'s sure wont fit ! I wasn't trying to sound like a azz, but I was trying to weed out no knowledge responses on these R.E. shackles
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
In your second sentence, you state I need to replace my hangers? If I did that these 80 dollar R.E.'s sure wont fit ! I wasn't trying to sound like a azz, but I was trying to weed out no knowledge responses on these R.E. shackles
No worries, Sport.

Like Spieg8, I'm not a fan of the conversion shackles, so I was trying to steer you into the proper way of doing this conversion.

It's your nickel, though, so do what you want.

BTW, here's my conversion thread. It seems to be quite popular. Perhaps it will help you.

Matt
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

The re conversion shackles are 1in lift or two inches longer than stock shackles if I remember correctly. They cause caster problems and also cause the front axle to move side to side when steering. It can be managed by using degree shims and running the shackle bolts tighter. I still am not a big fan of the 1in shackle lift.
04 Wrangler Rubicon. Stock
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Also there is not enough material on the stock front spring plates to widen them for 2.5in wide springs. I tried it and bent the spring plate when tightening the u bolts due to the holes being too close to the edge. Might work for awhile but the ubolts will loosen up.
04 Wrangler Rubicon. Stock
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.