YJ Springs for my CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ Springs for my CJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

YJ Springs for my CJ

A thing that's been bugging me for awhile is the fact that my rear sags (shut up, shut up, shut up!). Parked next to all sorts of nifty old Jeeps today it was obvious enough that even my wife could see it (I said shut up!).

So, it looks like perhaps a YJ conversion is in order. Being one step away from the poorhouse these days I figure this will need to be a staged conversion. So I'm thinking I'll start with the rear and do the front later on. That avoids the whole "do it once and do it right" issue. I will do it right, but in stages - starting with the rear.

So, I figure I'll spend the majority of my budget on things like the shackle hangers (Crabtree) and shackles (Ground Pounder). Should I maybe even consider a lift? I don't ever plan to run anything larger than 33's and I have 31's now which seem just fine for my daily driving and work around the barn. So a lift might not be useful.

The question is, what do you all think I should expect to pay for a set of YJ springs. I'm assuming they'll be used. I see a set of rears on eBay for about $125 and have no idea if that's reasonable or not. Maybe an afternoon at a pick-n-pull with a couple jacks and tools will produce springs for less. Problem around here is that pick-n-pulls are not what they were when I built cars in high school more than 30 years ago. Selection is limited. Can't wander the junk yards like we used to be able to do. Insurance and lawsuits I suppose...

I've read the various conversion threads which are very informative and the project doesn't daunt me. Scoping budget now rather than how to do it.

Whatcha think?

Unread 07-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I think if you decide a lift is in order,then doing it in stages is out.

I've "heard" good and bad on yj springs. Softer ride,but weaker spring and can sag sooner; but firsthand knowledge of this I do not have.

A (short term) solution could be to re-arch springs and add a leaf. A friend did this. Very inexpensive; but seemed to be a little stiff. This could suffice until you've saved enough for a proper conversion or lift.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

Jeff

I am one mailman delivery away from starting my conversion and if you can hold out a week or so I am going to document parts, vendors and cost along with progress and pics on my 82 CJ-7. I am using a 2.5" Ole Man Emu spring set.
travisintally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Dave, I looked into the add-a-leaf approach and it seemed to introduce a level of stiffness that many of the folks who'd done it found uncomfortable. But it's certainly an option. Good point about not lifting both ends at the same time. I worded things poorly - I'd do the springs in stages while collecting the parts for a mild lift and do that at the end.

Travis, I'll certainly be happy to read along. I'm not moving quite that quickly on things so your experience and documentation will be very helpful.
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Since you guys are going to change springs and related hardware get your can of penetrating spray and start soaking every bolt right now. Do that a few times between now and tear down and maybe you won't break those spring hanger bolts off in the frame.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Something else to consider. With the yj springs you will get about a 2in lift. My 82 has yj springs and clears 33's
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
Something else to consider. With the yj springs you will get about a 2in lift. My 82 has yj springs and clears 33's
Huh?! Didn't no that.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

ya here are a pic with the 33's so you can see the clearance I did trim the back a little to match the flares, with myslefand the wife upfront and my 15 year old daughter ive had no rub problems
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
loyalpoke

Viecent, are your springs under or over the axle?
loyalpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Jim, one thing I've been incredibly lucky about so far is that I've not had any seized or rusted bolts to deal with in the various projects I've done. The PPO (previous, previous owner) knew at least something when he did the rebuild back in the 90's and that's not an issue I face. The PO didn't know much at all except how to throw money at problems - and who am I to complain about that?

(of course, getting the %$^#*@ drums over the brake shoes in back is another matter...I really want disc brakes back there)
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Under
Unread 07-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
loyalpoke

Thanks
loyalpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.