YJ springs on a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ springs on a CJ5

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
dbriro
1972 CJ5 

YJ springs on a CJ5

I posting this on the advanced tech and was advised to try here, so...

A few months back I bought a 72 CJ5 SOA with YJ spring conversion and shackle reversal set-up with brand new 2" lift BDS springs. The rear axle has 6 degree shims (double cardan joint on the drive shaft) which also makes the back sit a little higher than the front.
After a few months of driving I can't get use to the height (too tall) or the fact that the rear is higher than the front and was contemplating replacing the 2" lift springs with stock YJ springs.
So my question is, what issues will I have by installing stock springs and lowering it, will the new stock front springs drop more than the rear with the V-8 & the 12K winch up front, will the already modified drive shafts need modification?
About the jeep; 1972 CJ 5 360 V-8, 12k warn winch, Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear, T15 transmission with a dana 20 xfer case, 33" tires.
Any help, comments or ideas would be much appreciated!

dbriro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriro
I posting this on the advanced tech and was advised to try here, so...

A few months back I bought a 72 CJ5 SOA with YJ spring conversion and shackle reversal set-up with brand new 2" lift BDS springs. The rear axle has 6 degree shims (double cardan joint on the drive shaft) which also makes the back sit a little higher than the front.
After a few months of driving I can't get use to the height (too tall) or the fact that the rear is higher than the front and was contemplating replacing the 2" lift springs with stock YJ springs.
So my question is, what issues will I have by installing stock springs and lowering it, will the new stock front springs drop more than the rear with the V-8 & the 12K winch up front, will the already modified drive shafts need modification?
About the jeep; 1972 CJ 5 360 V-8, 12k warn winch, Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear, T15 transmission with a dana 20 xfer case, 33" tires.
Any help, comments or ideas would be much appreciated!
That has got to feel like a skyscraper swaying in the wind. I have the same setup as you with the differences being mine is a '76, YJ flat springs and Waggy axles (60" WMS). I like BDS for a lift spring, but you tend to get more than advertised lift. There are several things you could do depending of course on what you want this Jeep to do for you.

In my humble opinion, 33" tires are WAY to small for an SOA lift. 35s are the beginning tire for SOA. NT axles on a SOA CJ5 are just asking for a roll over. I see going one of two ways just as safety issues.

1. if you want to keep the SOA, drop down to YJ flat springs and get some wider axels underneath.
2. Keep the 2" BDS springs and take it back to original SUA (unless you are rock crawling this would be my preference for just beating around town and trails).

Sorry for the deviation from your questions..... YJ springs: it seems the most common practice is to get the YJ 5 spring pack and add an extra main leaf to it to handle the SOA stress better. They are pretty flat but handle my 304 just fine. You should get an even drop on both ends.

Drivelines: They will shorten a bit, but I don't think you should have to do anything. Always better to verify though.

So put up some pics and tell us how you plan on using your Jeep. That will truly help us point you in the right direction. Welcome to the CJ5 club!
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
dbriro
1972 CJ5 

Thanks, sorry for the delay in reply, last week was busy.
I plan to just drive around town and some trails nothing hardcore.
This morning I took a leaf out of the rear pack which brought the rear down a bit.
So here are some pics. (I hope)

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Good looking Jeep! I see you solved the axle width issue with deep offset rims.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Looks good! I was going to suggest that maybe the reason the front is lower is from the weight of the winch and possibly the V8, but I am not sure which is heavier - V8 or I6.

Just noticed your location, a friend of mine was out there in Vacaville for the Air Force. She's at Dover AFB now though... Are you in the AF?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
dbriro
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
Good looking Jeep! I see you solved the axle width issue with deep offset rims.
Thanks, and yeah the off set wheels help, there is also 1.25" spacers that the P O installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Just noticed your location, a friend of mine was out there in Vacaville for the Air Force. She's at Dover AFB now though... Are you in the AF?
Thanks, not in the AF only live a few miles away from the air base.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.