YJ leaf springs restored to install into my CJ5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ leaf springs restored to install into my CJ5

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #16
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Your continuous condescension has made it personal, but I'm done with you now. Run along and go help people. You go that way, I go a different way. Nice and civil.

TIPPEDITOVER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

Rix, I am working on a similar project on my cj. I basically have an incredibly stiff set of springs that I am going to remove a leaf out of, and then repaint. I was also working on the ends of the springs, but I just ground a beveled taper on the edge that mates against the spring above it. Looking at what you did, you completely rounded the ends. I may have to reconsider and do the same.

Question, where did you get that Teflon strip you are going to install? I bought some uphm tape that I am going to use because I couldn't find anything like that.

Good luck with your mod, I will look forward to hearing how it turns out!
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice job on the springs Rich. I'm always impressed with the time you and excellent work you put into any project you take one. The actuall amount the front hanger needs to move forward is 1 1/8". That's the amount of difference there is between the mounting points between a CJ and YJ frame, or at least the ones I have measured and double checked that with online frame drawings. It's well worth the effort to move that hanger forward too and with the fab skills you have that aint going to be a problem.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj5Betty View Post
Rix, I am working on a similar project on my cj. I basically have an incredibly stiff set of springs that I am going to remove a leaf out of, and then repaint. I was also working on the ends of the springs, but I just ground a beveled taper on the edge that mates against the spring above it. Looking at what you did, you completely rounded the ends. I may have to reconsider and do the same.

Question, where did you get that Teflon strip you are going to install? I bought some uphm tape that I am going to use because I couldn't find anything like that.

Good luck with your mod, I will look forward to hearing how it turns out!
I didn't round the ends of the leafs, myself. That is the way they came from the factory.

I bought the liner material from Eaton Spring Co., online.

After all this work, I hope this works out. I am worried that these springs might end up being too soft, in their stock form.

I was tempted to add-a-leaf, but after reading threads about doing that, I didn't want to defeat the whole purpose of what I'm trying to achieve...a softer ride. I've read that adding a leaf really stiffens everything up.

So, I'll install them, and hope for the best.

Good luck with your install, as well!

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice job on the springs Rich. I'm always impressed with the time you and excellent work you put into any project you take one. The actuall amount the front hanger needs to move forward is 1 1/8". That's the amount of difference there is between the mounting points between a CJ and YJ frame, or at least the ones I have measured and double checked that with online frame drawings. It's well worth the effort to move that hanger forward too and with the fab skills you have that aint going to be a problem.
Thanks, Jim! So, instead of moving the shackle hangers forward 1", I should go for 1 1/8"? This is good to know.

So, what about the rear shackle hangers...do they have to be moved at all, or are the rear CJ leaf springs the same length as YJ leaf springs?

Speaking of the rear leaf springs, is it worth swapping out the 2.5" CJ rear leaf springs in favor of the YJ 2.5" leaf springs?

So much to learn....so little time...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You're welcome. I would swap the rear YJ springs in if it were me. Everyone that has tells me the ride is better and they flex more, both of which are good benfits. Also I think it's better because you'll have spring rates that are made to work together and that would not be the case if you retain the CJ springs. Besides you get the added benefit of using the bigger YJ style bushings which is a big plus because it allows you to run a sleeve over the shackle bolts and still use a 1/2" bolt. The YJ bushings are 1 1/4" diameter and CJ are 1". The CJ just doesn't leave enough room to run the sleeve.

And yes I'd move the shackle hanger forward the full 1 1/8"
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You're welcome. I would swap the rear YJ springs in if it were me. Everyone that has tells me the ride is better and they flex more, both of which are good benfits. Also I think it's better because you'll have spring rates that are made to work together and that would not be the case if you retain the CJ springs. Besides you get the added benefit of using the bigger YJ style bushings which is a big plus because it allows you to run a sleeve over the shackle bolts and still use a 1/2" bolt. The YJ bushings are 1 1/4" diameter and CJ are 1". The CJ just doesn't leave enough room to run the sleeve.

And yes I'd move the shackle hanger forward the full 1 1/8"
Thanks again, Jim! Any suggestions on the rear shackle hangers? Leave then where they are, or move them outward (I hope not...)?

Rich

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The rear YJ springs are the very same length and the CJ and the shackle hangers mount the same distance between the two so you won't have to do anything for the rear mounting points.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Thanks, again, Jim...I really appreciate it!

Rich

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

You can use a CJ rear shackle hanger on the front for the YJ springs. You will need to knock out the front crossmember rivit, and use that hole to bolt on the CJ rear shackle hanger in the forward location.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

He won't need the wider rear hangers up front. He's got some of the offset shackles to take care of the wider springs. All he needs to do is move the hanger forward.

Unread 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
He won't need the wider rear hangers up front. He's got some of the offset shackles to take care of the wider springs. All he needs to do is move the hanger forward.
Ah, I see. missed that part.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

You have done some outstanding work restoring those springs. How much did you spend on the restoration?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

Don't forget you will have to replace the leaf hangers for the front springs with 2.5 inch wide ones. Cj rear leaf hangers should work. And I am talking about the place that the rear of the front leaf spring mounts, not the shackle end.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

And since I am thinking about it, the spring plates will need modified or replaced as well. You can either elongate the u bolt holes of your existing plates, use a set of rear cj spring plates, or use a set of yj spring plates. But one way or another, you will have to accommodate for the wider spring.
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #30
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
You have done some outstanding work restoring those springs. How much did you spend on the restoration?
Thank you. I spent about $270.00 all totaled. That includes the shackles, greasable bushings, etc. I already had the POR 15. The biggest expense was the teflon liner material. I could have eliminated it, but I wanted to use it.

Quote:
Don't forget you will have to replace the leaf hangers for the front springs with 2.5 inch wide ones. Cj rear leaf hangers should work. And I am talking about the place that the rear of the front leaf spring mounts, not the shackle end.
The front and rear spring hangers come 2.5" wide from the factory.

Quote:
And since I am thinking about it, the spring plates will need modified or replaced as well. You can either elongate the u bolt holes of your existing plates, use a set of rear cj spring plates, or use a set of yj spring plates. But one way or another, you will have to accommodate for the wider spring.
I bought a set of used YJ spring plates for $10.00. Thanks for the heads up, though...

Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.