YJ leaf springs restored to install into my CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ leaf springs restored to install into my CJ5

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

YJ leaf springs restored to install into my CJ5

Hi guys,

I recently bought a set of used YJ leaf springs to swap into my CJ5, to soften the ride somewhat. I've read a lot of info on the subject, but most of the swaps are with aftermarket kits.

Here is my step-by-step efforts to restore the springs, and hopefully improve their performance, followed by a question that I have.

Here they are, as I bought them. I started taking them apart...

I had them sand blasted. My plan is to paint the leaves with POR 15, so getting them 100% rust free was not important.

I bought a roll of 2.5" wide teflon leaf spring liner material. I wanted to install this in between each leaf...

I cut all the pieces...

Then, the ends were contoured with a cutting wheel...

The center holes were marked, then punched out...

Making sure they fit...

Put them aside, for now...

Ready to paint...

First coat...

Then, applied a second coat.

They dried so glossy, that I temporarily bolted them together, and sprayed a coat of Krylon satin finish on the topside, the sides, and the bottom ends, just to dull them down, a little...

Final assembly...the liners and new spring pack bolts installed. At this point the alignment clips had to be bent back around the leafs. This was not a fun job. Good thing I have a hydraulic shop press.

A closeup of the liners...

The bolts will be cut to their final length later on.

Here's where my question comes in...

I've read that if you buy an aftermarket lift kit, you don't have to move the front shackle brackets forward 1", because the kit allows for that.

I decided to use my current front shackle hanger brackets, so I bought RE conversion shackles. These shackles have a 5" center hole spacing. My current shackles have 4" center hole spacing. Because the new shackles are longer, will that allow me to install the leaf springs without moving the shackle hanger brackets forward?

Here are a few pics of all that stuff...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

Because the YJ springs are an inch longer, I would treat the install like a YJ lift kit conversion ie. Old Man Emu and remove the hanger and install an inch forward. This will allow more movement of the shackle. If you leave the hanger where it is, the bottom of the shackle will be protruding outward about an inch and not vertical thus negating the benefit of the longer lead springs added flex and travel.

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Thanks Chris...that sounds like good logic!

Rich

Unread 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Dang that looked like alot of work. Nice job!
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Dang that looked like alot of work. Nice job!
Thanks! Yeah...I get carried away, sometimes..

Rich

Unread 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32
Because the YJ springs are an inch longer, I would treat the install like a YJ lift kit conversion ie. Old Man Emu and remove the hanger and install an inch forward. This will allow more movement of the shackle. If you leave the hanger where it is, the bottom of the shackle will be protruding outward about an inch and not vertical thus negating the benefit of the longer lead springs added flex and travel.

Chris
Shackles are not supposed to be completely vertical.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Shackle supposed to be at 90 degrees, or IOW perpendicular to a line drawn between eye bolts. Any more angle results in stiffer spring rate, any less gives less spring rate. You put it there it's in the middle of the range.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
CSP

No, the shackles should not be at 90 to the spring eyes. Somewhere in the 50-60 range gives a good mix of compression and extension.

Why in the world would more angle result in a stiffer spring rate? Spring rate only changes as the spring flexes and the change is negligable.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
No, the shackles should not be at 90 to the spring eyes. Somewhere in the 50-60 range gives a good mix of compression and extension.

Why in the world would more angle result in a stiffer spring rate? Spring rate only changes as the spring flexes and the change is negligable.
I should have said a good place to start is 90 degrees. Where are you getting your information?

Here's a good write up on it. Go to the bottom to read about shackle mechanics. 5 second google search

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-93.htm
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Oh and as to why it would change spring rate. It's explained in that link. I'll admit it's a bit convoluted, but it's better than I can explain.
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Another link for you to read. Better than just saying your wrong and I'm right.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ring-rate.html
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
CSP

Experience is what tells me that. I know who wrote that article, and it's one person's opinion which I have publicly disagreed with on more than one point. There's a lot more going on when a spring flexes than just spring rate.

Do as you wish, mine rides great.
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Experience is what tells me that. I know who wrote that article, and it's one person's opinion which I have publicly disagreed with on more than one point. There's a lot more going on when a spring flexes than just spring rate.

Do as you wish, mine rides great.
Oh I will do as I wish with or without your approval all knowing king csp. I will also gladly lend a hand to others along the way, without a condescending attitude.
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

sorry to hijack your thread rixcj
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
CSP

Really TIPPEDITOVER? Care to make any other judgement out of context while you're at it? Are you another one of those guys that makes it personal when someone disagrees with you?

I'm just amazed at how people can read an article "published" on the internet and take it as gospel.

I know, you can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true.

Done with my portion of this hijack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.