Yj leaf spring mod on 75 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Yj leaf spring mod on 75 cj5

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
kirklin
1975 CJ5 

Yj leaf spring mod on 75 cj5

Im getting ready to order my lift kit for my jjeep build and wanted to do the leaf spring mod I have been doing so serching but cant find were any one has done it with my year any info or helpful words would be great

kirklin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
M1A1TankerTom

my 68 has YJ springs, but the OP installed them so I am not much help to you. Ill try and snap some pics for you this weekend if I get time.
M1A1TankerTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
M1A1TankerTom

also thought I would post this for you...might help

http://www.rocky-road.com/cj-to-yj.html
M1A1TankerTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

so you can just bolt the YJ springs into a newer CJ?

my springs are sagging I know I can rearch them but dont know if its cheaper to find and adapt YJ or new cj springs versus rearching lol
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
kirklin
1975 CJ5 

Great info thank you and if you can do the pictures that would be great
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
kirklin
1975 CJ5 

Txjeeper this thread will give you some info on your year
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ol...stall-1245523/
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

On a 75 the springs are narrower than the later cj. Later cj had 2.5" wide springs on rear as yj did. Since yours are narrower you may need to change things like axle perches and or spring hanger/shackle mounts. I'm not sure they make conversion shackles for your idea.
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
billybob535

Here you go: http://www.earlycj5.com/technical/sp...ng-conversion/

You will end up changing all 4 spring hangers and all 4 shackle hangers. The front spring hangers attachment points sit inside the boxed section so they are a bit hard to get to. Since the rest of the frame is open channel on the 75 they are not too hard. You will bolt the new shackle and spring hangers in place with grade 8 hardware, mount a spring to make sure they are straight, tack weld them, remove the spring, then finish weld them. Some people do not weld them but that's not recommended especially with the flexibility of the intermediate CJ frame. You will need new shackles (rear CJ ones seem to be the most recommended), replacement u-bolts, and you will have to widen the holes on your spring plates (search the forum on this as the holes need to be moved in 2 directions for both the wider spring and thicker replacement u-bolts). Of course you will need whatever springs you are going to use with correct length brake lines and appropriate length shocks that fit a CJ. The Old Man Emu 2.5" YJ spring is highly recommended and if you dig around on the forum you can find the part number for the correct CJ shocks. Some people keep the 1.75" wide axle perch and some cut them off and weld on new 2.5" wide ones. If you were wheeling the hell out of the jeep I would change them otherwise I would leave them be.

Good Luck

Bob
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
kirklin
1975 CJ5 

Awsome thank you thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.