YJ Hard Top on a CJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ Hard Top on a CJ ?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
RubyCJ
1986 CJ7 

YJ Hard Top on a CJ ?

Anyone know if a YJ Hard Top will fit on a CJ ?

I have a YJ tub, full doors and tail gate. But I still have the CJ windshield.

Found a good deal $250 in great shape but uncertain about the windshield connection.

Thanks

RubyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
benullman
1981 CJ7 

That won't be an issue
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I don't think there will be a problem either.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

The windshield frames are identical in shape, the differences were the YJ has an extra rib at the wiper arms, a glue in windshield, no defrost vents, windshield wiper arm cutouts are different, and a little more internal structure to support the windshield to cage bars.

So yes, a YJ top will go just the same to a CJ windshield frame, the two frames are 100% identical on the outside dimensions and curves.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
RubyCJ
1986 CJ7 

Awesome ! Thanks for the quick responses so I can jump on the deal. Love this Forum for good technical useful information!
RubyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You won't be able to use your tailgate properly.

CJ: Tailgate closes first. Top hatch closes against the tailgate and has its own latch mechanism. You can't open the tailgate on a CJ without first opening the hatch. (and spare tire, if you have one)

YJ: Hatch closes first. Tailgate then closes, and holds the hatch closed. You CAN open the tailgate on a YJ without opening the hatch.

YJ top on a CJ: Bolts on. Doors are the same as CJ paddle-handle doors.

BUT: You still have to close the hatch first, then the tailgate....then you have to crawl inside the back of the CJ, and latch the tailgate. And when you want to open your hatch, you have to crawl back in there and unlatch the tailgate, open it, then open your top hatch.

If you have a spare tire, you could possibly rig up something that will hold the tailgate closed firmly against the hatch....or live with having to get inside and unlatch the tailgate.
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
You won't be able to use your tailgate properly.

CJ: Tailgate closes first. Top hatch closes against the tailgate and has its own latch mechanism. You can't open the tailgate on a CJ without first opening the hatch. (and spare tire, if you have one)

YJ: Hatch closes first. Tailgate then closes, and holds the hatch closed. You CAN open the tailgate on a YJ without opening the hatch.

YJ top on a CJ: Bolts on. Doors are the same as CJ paddle-handle doors.

BUT: You still have to close the hatch first, then the tailgate....then you have to crawl inside the back of the CJ, and latch the tailgate. And when you want to open your hatch, you have to crawl back in there and unlatch the tailgate, open it, then open your top hatch.

If you have a spare tire, you could possibly rig up something that will hold the tailgate closed firmly against the hatch....or live with having to get inside and unlatch the tailgate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCJ View Post
Anyone know if a YJ Hard Top will fit on a CJ ?

I have a YJ tub, full doors and tail gate. But I still have the CJ windshield.

Found a good deal $250 in great shape but uncertain about the windshield connection.

Thanks
He stated he has the YJ tailgate and tub.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
He stated he has the YJ tailgate and tub.
Ah, I missed that. Well, then he essentially has a YJ, so that's what type of top he needs. Good deal, too.

I'll leave my original post, might help someone that has a CJ body and is considering this.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.