YJ Dual Diaphragm Brake Power Booster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ Dual Diaphragm Brake Power Booster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

YJ Dual Diaphragm Brake Power Booster

Does anybody know what years the YJ had the dual diaphragm non abs power booster?? I believe it was 1991-1995, the previous years had only a single diaphragm power booster, no better than my current CJ power booster.

I also believe the master cylinder is different, I currently have a 1981 Corvette MC, very large piston and a great bolt on upgrade to my stock CJ power booster. Does anybody know if the 1981 Corvette MC will bolt on to the YJ non abs dual diaphragm power booster?

I see lots of articles on on installing the YJ power booster in the CJ, but nobody talks about the two different YJ power boosters. You need the dual diaphragm version to make a real difference.

The other option of using a GM dual diaphragm booster seems to take some mounting and linkage modifications.

Thanks for any input

Jim

jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

goto partsamerica.com and look up brake boosters for the scramblers. I forget what year it was but I ordered the dual diaphram booster loaded and my brakes went from needing two feet to stop to just as good as my 1996 rangers brakes.
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

If you're going to put in the YJ booster, you might want to try out the E350 master cylinder. O'Reilly's part #10-2008.
Unread 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

To my knowledge it was only the 95 YJ's that had the dual diaphragm booster.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore
To my knowledge it was only the 95 YJ's that had the dual diaphragm booster.
OK, that most likey is correct, I also believe it takes a different MC, so the E350 MC will not fit the dual diaphragm 1995 YJ booster.

As I recall the YJ single diaphragm booster was good for 1000 lbs of pressure, the YJ dual was good for 1600 lbs of pressure, making it the best choice.

Jim
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwireless
I also believe it takes a different MC, so the E350 MC will not fit the dual diaphragm 1995 YJ booster.
I wasn't necessarily saying use it with the dual diaphragm unit, just use it with any old XJ/YJ booster in general. Here's a link to a similar swap. You have to drill out the mounting holes to 9/16", not really a biggie. Might just work. Had a guy in my local Jeep club do this and raved about the gains. I've got a stock XJ unit in my JEEP with stock MC, and I feel very comfortable in traffic and trails. I brake with my toes now.

http://www.akextreme4x4.com/tech/bra...r_cylinder.htm
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
cromd

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamatron
goto partsamerica.com and look up brake boosters for the scramblers. I forget what year it was but I ordered the dual diaphram booster loaded and my brakes went from needing two feet to stop to just as good as my 1996 rangers brakes.

It appears that the 1981 is different than the 1982 through 1985 scrambler booster. How can you tell it is a dual diaphram?
cromd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
cromd

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamatron

It appears that the 1981 is different than the 1982 through 1985 scrambler booster. How can you tell it is a dual diaphram?
cromd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

OK, found a thread with Van from Vanco giving information on identifying single or dual diaphragm YJ power boosters if they do indeed exist, measure the length of the power booster from the mounting surfaces, where the MC connects and where the booster connects to the mounting brackets.

Single boosters 4 inches long
Dual Boosters 6.25 inches long

After reading the thread I still am not sure if in 1995 Jeep provide some of the dual boosters in any of the YJ's, but I think they did in the Sahara and SE, but not in the Rio Grande.

This is a good thead to read, the information on the YJ power boosters is at the bottom of the thread. This thread is about hydroboost but full of good information. Now I just need to understand if there is a difference in these power boosters with or without ABS and is there really is a dual diaphragm YJ power booster.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums.../t-568638.html

Jim
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
biozombie

Check it out, dual vs single. From what I gather the dual was on *some* 94-95 YJ's. Dual has a plastic MC also. I tried to fit a dual on my 4.2l with a mc2100 carb and there was not enough clearance, beware!

biozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromd
Looks like they dont carry it anymore. But.... Napaonline.com does still list it for the 1983 Scrambler. Its alittle pricier then I remember paying, but its a direct replacement without any issues on my 304. Good luck.
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biozombie
Check it out, dual vs single. From what I gather the dual was on *some* 94-95 YJ's. Dual has a plastic MC also. I tried to fit a dual on my 4.2l with a mc2100 carb and there was not enough clearance, beware!

Thanks, great picture, that clears up lots. Did the mounting bracket come with the dual booster or did you fabricate that?? The TJ dual booster seems to mount directly to the firewall.

Do you still have the dual booster in the picture?? I would be interested if you want to sell it?

Jim
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
biozombie

That firewall bracket is stock, and sorry but I already sold it a few months ago. It was a nice booster. My XJ also has what looks like a dual booster, but its also mounted directly to the firewall.
biozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
bpal
1985 CJ7 

Has anyone bought from this guy on ebay? link

I decided I would just buy a new parts bolt on either from Vanco or Off Again but I just saw this one too. Its significantly less than the others but I'd rather go with a known entity.
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Only 95 YJ's with 6 cylinder motors have a dual diaphragm brake booster. The MC on the dual diaphragm has a plastic resivoir. You can buy a new MC at AutoZone for around $85.
You will want one without the ABS system. Be aware that the threads on the MC for the brake lines are metric thread and that the brake lines will need a bubble flare on them to seat properly against the MC.
It is a night and day difference from the CJ power brakes set up.
Like Biozombie said, if you have the 4.2 in your Jeep you will have clearance issues with a dual diaphragm booster and the carb. If you have the 4.2 I would use a single diaphragm YJ booster. It is still a big improvement over the CJ set up. Here is a link that walks you through the swap and lists the part numbers for the brake line adapters,
http://www.desertcj7.com/yj_brake_booster_upgrade.htm

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.