YJ braking upgrade will not bleed rears - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YJ braking upgrade will not bleed rears

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
jrussblues
1985 CJ7 

That's the piece, I've only ever seen them in an adjustable form similar to the pic, both factory and aftermarket.

jrussblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

OK, I haven't got a chance to work on it any more between work hours and the weather but I was thinking... if that adjustment between the MC and booster was the culprit, when I bled the MC wouldn't there not have been bubbles and essentially not have bled the rear portion of the MC in the first place?

Note: I bled the MC installed in the jeep using the pedal and air was purged from both reservoirs and am trying to use a vacuum bleeder so the piston not activating the rear shouldn't be the issue... Correct?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Not all boosters have the adjustable pushrod on the MC side. I have a 95 YJ single diaphragm that doesn't have it. The Cj's i'm pretty sure don't have it either.

I'd start with the wheel cylinders, the auto parts stores haven't sold decent wheel cylinders for years now.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
jrussblues
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD
Not all boosters have the adjustable pushrod on the MC side. I have a 95 YJ single diaphragm that doesn't have it. The Cj's i'm pretty sure don't have it either. I'd start with the wheel cylinders, the auto parts stores haven't sold decent wheel cylinders for years now.
As a tip...break the fitting going in to the wheel cylinder and see if you get pressure from the open line on a pump. This could save the headache of tearing down your brakes.

As for the vacuum pump question...does it matter if you can bleed them with a vacuum if when you press the pedal they get no pressure?
jrussblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

So I finally got some time free today after being able not to go to work since I had seizure yesterday... scary stuff for the ones involved and I dont remember much but all is well now.
Anyways, new wheel cylinders did the trick but now the brakes are touchy as hell... if I dont ease into them the thing nose dives and throws anything in the seats forward and my brake lights are constantly on now too. Is this just such a better system and I'll just have to get used to it?... what about the light issue? Just an adjustment on the pedal and rod?
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

The brake light thing is probably due to the pedal not returning enough to depress the brake switch. Can you pull the brake pedal up with your toe and get the light to go off? If not, try lengthening the rod (assuming you have an adjustable rod to the pedal or between the BP and the mounting bracket). This could also be what is causing the touchy brakes (not allowing enough pedal travel/slack).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

No play in the pedal. Did find a switch of sone sorts hanging down above the column... assuming its the brake light contact and also assuming that it operates off of being relased to turn on lights rather than depressed.
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02 View Post
No play in the pedal. Did find a switch of sone sorts hanging down above the column... assuming its the brake light contact and also assuming that it operates off of being relased to turn on lights rather than depressed.
Ooh the switch fell out of the bracket? Sorry to hear that.. it's a bi~@# to work on that thing (you get to stand on your head for a while). My back hurts just thinking about it.

You are correct that the switch activates the brake lights when the button is released. There should be a nut laying somewhere that was used to secure the switch to the bracket. You have to hold the switch in the hole of the bracket with one hand and tighten the nut with your other hand.
(fun fun)

Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Lights fixed... pedal still feels so odd but I have great brakes. Guess I just got to get used to it. Some one did mention a funky pedal feel. Now just to find better suited suspension

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.