YF carter carb on 53 m38a1 won't accelerate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > YF carter carb on 53 m38a1 won't accelerate

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
gamebirder
1953 M-38 

YF carter carb on 53 m38a1 won't accelerate

I just went through and rebuilt this carb because of overloading issues. There were not a lot of part involved in the kit so it was mainly a clean up and place new gaskets. After reinstalling it would idle fine but as I push the accelorator it would start to die and if I tried to keep it running by pumping the gas it would start backfiring. I have had it back apart twice double checking the float adjustment and metering rod adjustment but still cannot get to run. Any suggestions or would I be better off to just replace with a solex or something similiar. thanks

gamebirder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sounds like problem with the accelerator pump. Does it squirt when you hit the accelerator? Take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle a few times and see if you can see any gas squirting down the carb.

Did you get all the check balls back in?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
gamebirder
1953 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Sounds like problem with the accelerator pump. Does it squirt when you hit the accelerator? Take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle a few times and see if you can see any gas squirting down the carb.

Did you get all the check balls back in?
I don't really get a squirt just a few bubbles and a little gas along the edge.
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Nope not good.
Mine is a good solid stream.
Did you get the accellerator pump oriented properly?

Unread 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
gamebirder
1953 M-38 

Thanks for the picture. I think mine is a little different I don't have it in front of me but I don't recall the inlet ball check and the discharge check ball and weight was one piece that had a point in the direction of the ball, also I don't believe the pump jet protrudes into the barrel at all. The actual number on the carb is yf 938s. thanks again.
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

One of these huh:

Notice the part on the accelerator pump at the top of this page.

Does this look familiar? I found it with a bunch of other YF drawings. This is more of a mechanical schematic than the actual layout.
The old YF and New YF are so close, some of the same gaskets are similarly shaped after 30 years.

Actually there is a great writeup at the CJ3BSite.com site.
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Tech/Carburetor.html

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Tech/Carter.html

Here is another site with some info.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...r/YF/index.htm

Still you should get a strong flow of gas coming out of the port for the accelerator pump. Make sure all your gaskets were installed correctly, you could inadvertently block off a hole, and all passages are clear.

Last edited by John Strenk; 08-13-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

These are good technical notes:

Last edited by John Strenk; 08-13-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
gamebirder
1953 M-38 

yep this is the one. thanks for all the good info. I will go over this and double check everything when I remove the carb again this weekend.
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
gamebirder
1953 M-38 

do you have any idea if a person can still get that discharge ball kit from carter #116-27u. this did not come in my rebuild kit and i think this may be one of the problems. like i said this one does not have a ball but more of a pointed weight. The kit came with some little balls but I never saw any in the carb.
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Depends upon the kit. Sometimes the pointed weight can be swapped with a couple balls. I think the smaller one drops in first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/carter-yf-rebuild-question-715326/
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
bprimrose
1978 CJ5 

1978 cj5 258 carter YF when rebuild had no discharge ball/weight?

Hello,
I have a question RE Carter YF CArb. I rebuilt and found no discharge ball or weight in place. SO....I just put it back together. NOw I have a problem with stall and running until it is fully warmed up? I wold appreciate any help. SHould I replace the weight and Ball?
Thanks
bprimrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.