The "yet to be named" 1978 CJ7 build. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The "yet to be named" 1978 CJ7 build.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #46
lcampbell89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer

Gotta love Aircraft Remover.
It really is great stuff used it on a bicycle to get paint out of nooks and crannies. How much did you need for whole tub?

lcampbell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #47
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcampbell89

It really is great stuff used it on a bicycle to get paint out of nooks and crannies. How much did you need for whole tub?
I think I bought a quart of it for $15 at autozone. If I just do the outside of the tub and the hood and fenders, I may get away with only having to use 2 quarts.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #48
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Time to get organize. Im using this thread as a place to plan out my attack.

In this order:
1. finish removing various parts that are still on the frame (exhaust, fuel lines, etc)
2. sand frame to remove debris and prepare for POR15
3. drain all the fluids, repair bad seals, and check gears/TC chain
4. give the drivetrain a good once over with a degreaser
5. Sand blast all accessories that need attention
Side question, will one of those small sand blasters from HF do an ok job of removing paint from small items and rust from things like the leaf springs?
6. finish removing all the paint from the outside of the tub, hood, and fenders.
7. weld patches on the tub
----That should take me to the end of the tough stuff.
8. POR15 the frame, axles, and skid plate.
9. paint the outside of tub, hood, and fenders
10. bedline the underside and inside of the tub
11. Start reassembling the frame parts (exhaust, gas tank, etc...)
12. Refill all fluids
13. Put the tub back on.
------Now its time to figure out the electronics.
14. All the dash and interior parts and fixing everything that I missed.

So I am selling the full steel doors that came with the Jeep, they are in great shape and the bids are already up to $250 on eBay. Im also selling the nerf bar steps to make room for these (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ne...j8.htm#sliders)

So between the sale of those two things, I should have enough to afford the necessities (POR15, paint, bedliner, etc...)

How do I know if my leaf springs should be replaced?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #49
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Found some prior patch work... Pretty weak attempt at patching it... More like hiding rust with a fresh piece of steel and some bondo.

image-1014714921.jpg

image-2026644920.jpg

image-1820362796.jpg

Sanded down the back quarter panel and found more bondo work, used to cover small dents...

image-1067069309.jpg

Drained some transmission fluid. Looks a little murky.

image-419378531.jpg

Here is a piece of the bondo I broke off

image-797712366.jpg

Through all the grime and layers of paint, I found this.

image-3009115532.jpg

Took the front drive shaft off; may take it into a local shop to see what shape it's in.

Tomorrow I may try to cut out the rest of the rust and figure out how to tackle the rest of this beast.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #50
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Found this. May be the best way to tackle this mess.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22522_02_07.htm

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #51
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The Jeep logo was covered up??? Wow! That's crazy.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #52
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
The Jeep logo was covered up??? Wow! That's crazy.
Not completely, but there were so many layers of paint and primer and bondo that it was almost flat with the body.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #53
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

I think ive decided to track down a new tub, this one is just too far gone. Ive been searching around for a YJ tub... It doesnt have to be pretty because its getting a paint job, it just has to be *almost* rust free.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #54
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Lets see some pics of what is considered "too far gone" you'd be surprised how easily most areas of rust are patched and filled.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #55
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Lets see some pics of what is considered "too far gone" you'd be surprised how easily most areas of rust are patched and filled.
Check out post #49. Both rocker panels are completely rusted through, and as you may be able to see, its through to the floor boards.

Replacement panels are only $25 online, but I worry that with the rot as deep as it is, that the body wont be sturdy, even after welding on the new panels...

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #56
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

yeah I missed those pics the first time looking at this from my phone... On second thought, a mid 90's YJ tub sounds like a great idea!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #57
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Yeah... Ill start looking at junk yards... I want so bad to keep the original tub, but I just dont have the skills or tools necessary to do a good job. The fenders, hood and grill are great... So ill find a YJ tub (maybe with a family roll cage already) and use that.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #58
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

do some research as well into using the YJ vs CJ windshield frame. The plumbing is different for the wipers and defroster...might be easier to use the YJ stuff and adapt to make it look CJ-ish

Quote:
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #59
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

So how long do I sand/strip/grind before I feel like im making progress.

But seriously, im making progress, slowly but surely. When I get tired of pluggin away at the body (which ive decided to keep and attempt to recover), im replacing bad seals and prepping the frame for a coat of POR.

I think ive seen somewhere that someone had put rolling carts under each tire, enabling them to move the jeep around... What weight specs would I need in order to do the same? It would be really nice to be able to move the Jeep chassis around while working on it in my small garage.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #60
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer
So how long do I sand/strip/grind before I feel like im making progress.

But seriously, im making progress, slowly but surely. When I get tired of pluggin away at the body (which ive decided to keep and attempt to recover), im replacing bad seals and prepping the frame for a coat of POR.

I think ive seen somewhere that someone had put rolling carts under each tire, enabling them to move the jeep around... What weight specs would I need in order to do the same? It would be really nice to be able to move the Jeep chassis around while working on it in my small garage.
You are at the point where you spend a lot of time doing prep work, which feels like you have nothing to show. Won't be long until you have a nice shiny frame!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.