The "yet to be named" 1978 CJ7 build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The "yet to be named" 1978 CJ7 build.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Sasquatch - 5.0L CJ78

Im the proud new owner of a 1978 CJ7. This came to me from Missouri... My brother-in-law bought it last year and decided it was too much for him to take on right now, so I took it off his hands for $3000. Finally got a hotshot to tow it down here last night and now the fun begins.

This is going to be a very novice restoration... quality will not be compromised, but craftsmanship may be interesting, as I want to do the work myself. The frame is almost perfect, with a small spot near the front that needs some attention. The body is rough, but nothing that some elbow grease and a welder wont fix. Engine runs strong (304 v8), and the TH400/1339 are in good shape. A few leaks here and there, but some new gaskets will clear that up. Tie rod ends and the bushings on the leaf springs are toast, and the wiring leaves much to be desired, but overall its solid.

Here she sits today:

Shell be in pieces by tonight...

You all are a wealth of information and help, and believe me, ill have plenty of questions. Ill do the typical search, but I may ask as I go on this thread if anyone is interested in helping.

Thanks for looking.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
dirt_dobber
1977 CJ7 

looks great - can't wait to see the build
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Here's some typical rust:

image-2164121073.jpg

image-2299426512.jpg

image-301478635.jpg

The worst of the body rust:

image-3977100206.jpg

The worst of the frame rust:

image-578190458.jpg

How the rest of the frame looks:

image-2556124713.jpg

The SOA:

image-2976286067.jpg

It's starting to look like a typical CJ build:

image-1819064297.jpg

Listen to her purrrrr:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...9A9CC8BBB4.mp4

The beginning of many busted knuckles:

image-2474795319.jpg

Did the 78s come with disc brakes in the front?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
JAG811
1978 CJ7 

Love it already !!!
I'll be watching the build !!
Fellow 78 7
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Looks good, rapid progress, expect completion this year???

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep
Looks good, rapid progress, expect completion this year???
Money is going to be the main deterrent from finishing this year. I expect by next spring I'll have it somewhat back together and drivable.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Made me laugh! The hand... I'm thinking Transdoshan! Looking forward to your build. And Be Careful!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Im considering hiring a freelance welder to come patch the rust holes in the body... If I were to try it myself, can anyone recommend a "cheap" welder that would get the job done?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Lots of success stories with the HF MIGs, although I am biased against them personally. You might shoot Mike (Coiz) a PM... he used one on his build and was happy with it.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Signing in to follow this one. I cant be of much help on the welder front either as we have a 110 and 220V miiller mig at work I can steal for a weekend when I need to weld something on mine...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Lots of success stories with the HF MIGs, although I am biased against them personally. You might shoot Mike (Coiz) a PM... he used one on his build and was happy with it.
Ive read some decent reviews on the HF welders... Nothing special, but it seems like it would get the job done, especially since they are smaller holes... Plus the whole inside and underside is getting coated and lined, so it doesnt have to be pretty.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Signing in to follow this one. I cant be of much help on the welder front either as we have a 110 and 220V miiller mig at work I can steal for a weekend when I need to weld something on mine...
Bastard. If only I were a bit closer to Houston....

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer View Post
Ive read some decent reviews on the HF welders... Nothing special, but it seems like it would get the job done, especially since they are smaller holes... Plus the whole inside and underside is getting coated and lined, so it doesnt have to be pretty.
careful with coating it...that stuff is a mess if you have to remove it later. We spent HOURS carefully patching the rust inside the tub and priming before spraying my bedliner down... It was a TON of work but I plan on keeping my rig for at least 30yrs so I dont want to deal with it again any time soon.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
careful with coating it...that stuff is a mess if you have to remove it later. We spent HOURS carefully patching the rust inside the tub and priming before spraying my bedliner down... It was a TON of work but I plan on keeping my rig for at least 30yrs so I dont want to deal with it again any time soon.
Im in the same boat. I want this to last for awhile, so there will be a TON of prepping and patching to make sure every bit of rust is gone and every weak spot is repaired or reinforced. The body is in such good shape (compared to other I have seen) that I would rather not spend the money on a replacement tub if I can repair this one... Plus it keeps it original, and thats really what im shooting for.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
austincj
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCJer View Post
Im considering hiring a freelance welder to come patch the rust holes in the body... If I were to try it myself, can anyone recommend a "cheap" welder that would get the job done?
I really wanted a Hobart or a Lincoln. However, I also wanted one that could do gas MIG welding (in addition to flux core wire welding). And I wanted cheap.
So I ended up with a Northern Tool branded welder, which at $320 was quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent from the other brands:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2691_200332691

I'm learning on this welder, and so far it's working well for me. I also picked up an auto-darkening helmet, which I highly recommend as a beginner. It makes things much easier. Northern tool has a good one for $50.
austincj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.