JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   The "yet to be named" 1978 CJ7 build. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/yet-named-1978-cj7-build-1435724/)

AustinCJer 11-07-2012 12:40 PM

Sasquatch - 5.0L CJ78
 
Im the proud new owner of a 1978 CJ7. This came to me from Missouri... My brother-in-law bought it last year and decided it was too much for him to take on right now, so I took it off his hands for $3000. Finally got a hotshot to tow it down here last night and now the fun begins.

This is going to be a very novice restoration... quality will not be compromised, but craftsmanship may be interesting, as I want to do the work myself. The frame is almost perfect, with a small spot near the front that needs some attention. The body is rough, but nothing that some elbow grease and a welder wont fix. Engine runs strong (304 v8), and the TH400/1339 are in good shape. A few leaks here and there, but some new gaskets will clear that up. Tie rod ends and the bushings on the leaf springs are toast, and the wiring leaves much to be desired, but overall its solid.

Here she sits today:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2331464512.jpg

Shell be in pieces by tonight...



You all are a wealth of information and help, and believe me, ill have plenty of questions. Ill do the typical search, but I may ask as I go on this thread if anyone is interested in helping.

:wave: Thanks for looking.

dirt_dobber 11-07-2012 02:58 PM

looks great - can't wait to see the build

AustinCJer 11-07-2012 09:59 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here's some typical rust:



Attachment 503730



Attachment 503731



Attachment 503733

The worst of the body rust:



Attachment 503732

The worst of the frame rust:



Attachment 503734

How the rest of the frame looks:



Attachment 503735

The SOA:



Attachment 503736

It's starting to look like a typical CJ build:



Attachment 503737

Listen to her purrrrr:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...9A9CC8BBB4.mp4

The beginning of many busted knuckles:



Attachment 503738



Did the 78s come with disc brakes in the front?

JAG811 11-08-2012 02:24 AM

Love it already !!!
I'll be watching the build !!
Fellow 78 7 :cheers2:

BagusJeep 11-08-2012 02:34 AM

Looks good, rapid progress, expect completion this year???

AustinCJer 11-08-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagusJeep
Looks good, rapid progress, expect completion this year???

Money is going to be the main deterrent from finishing this year. I expect by next spring I'll have it somewhat back together and drivable.

Skerr 11-08-2012 07:15 AM

Made me laugh! The hand... I'm thinking Transdoshan! Looking forward to your build. And Be Careful!! ;)

AustinCJer 11-08-2012 10:11 AM

Im considering hiring a freelance welder to come patch the rust holes in the body... If I were to try it myself, can anyone recommend a "cheap" welder that would get the job done?

Skerr 11-08-2012 12:12 PM

Lots of success stories with the HF MIGs, although I am biased against them personally. You might shoot Mike (Coiz) a PM... he used one on his build and was happy with it.

kickingprop 11-08-2012 12:18 PM

Signing in to follow this one. I cant be of much help on the welder front either as we have a 110 and 220V miiller mig at work I can steal for a weekend when I need to weld something on mine...

AustinCJer 11-08-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerr (Post 14423690)
Lots of success stories with the HF MIGs, although I am biased against them personally. You might shoot Mike (Coiz) a PM... he used one on his build and was happy with it.

Ive read some decent reviews on the HF welders... Nothing special, but it seems like it would get the job done, especially since they are smaller holes... Plus the whole inside and underside is getting coated and lined, so it doesnt have to be pretty.

AustinCJer 11-08-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickingprop (Post 14423714)
Signing in to follow this one. I cant be of much help on the welder front either as we have a 110 and 220V miiller mig at work I can steal for a weekend when I need to weld something on mine...

Bastard. If only I were a bit closer to Houston....

kickingprop 11-08-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinCJer (Post 14423727)
Ive read some decent reviews on the HF welders... Nothing special, but it seems like it would get the job done, especially since they are smaller holes... Plus the whole inside and underside is getting coated and lined, so it doesnt have to be pretty.

careful with coating it...that stuff is a mess if you have to remove it later. We spent HOURS carefully patching the rust inside the tub and priming before spraying my bedliner down... It was a TON of work but I plan on keeping my rig for at least 30yrs so I dont want to deal with it again any time soon.

AustinCJer 11-08-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickingprop (Post 14423834)
careful with coating it...that stuff is a mess if you have to remove it later. We spent HOURS carefully patching the rust inside the tub and priming before spraying my bedliner down... It was a TON of work but I plan on keeping my rig for at least 30yrs so I dont want to deal with it again any time soon.

Im in the same boat. I want this to last for awhile, so there will be a TON of prepping and patching to make sure every bit of rust is gone and every weak spot is repaired or reinforced. The body is in such good shape (compared to other I have seen) that I would rather not spend the money on a replacement tub if I can repair this one... Plus it keeps it original, and thats really what im shooting for.

austincj 11-08-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinCJer (Post 14423140)
Im considering hiring a freelance welder to come patch the rust holes in the body... If I were to try it myself, can anyone recommend a "cheap" welder that would get the job done?

I really wanted a Hobart or a Lincoln. However, I also wanted one that could do gas MIG welding (in addition to flux core wire welding). And I wanted cheap.
So I ended up with a Northern Tool branded welder, which at $320 was quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent from the other brands:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2691_200332691

I'm learning on this welder, and so far it's working well for me. I also picked up an auto-darkening helmet, which I highly recommend as a beginner. It makes things much easier. Northern tool has a good one for $50.


The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.