I have spent a lot of time on this forum lately and very much appreciate all the wisdom that I have been able to find. I am, being a n00b, left with quite a few other questions as to where to start on my wondering steering.
It's a '83 CJ7 with a 4" lift . Every now and then it pulls abruptly to the right or left and without quick correction would end up in another lane very fast. There is some slop in the steering but being new to this I am not sure how much is to be expected with the lift.
I had a friend work the wheel while I watched the front end. There seems to be a lot of play at the U bolts joining the spring and the axle, and also the shackles where they meet the springs and hangers.
I am planning on the following:
- HD U bolts
- steering gearbox brace
- HD gearbock bracket
- caster correction (shims?)
- new shackle bushings
What I need guidance on:
- What info do I need to fit the HD U bolts to my CJ?
- Thoughts on gearbox braces? Worthwhile?
- I do not see any sway bar or linkage. Is this common for lifted CJs?
- Is a shim between the axle and springs the best bet? I have heard there are "better options".
- How would I go about fitting bushings to the shackles I have. They do not appear to be stock.
Pardon my ignorance. Thank you for all your knowledge so far and in advance for your help.