Yet Another Axle Swap Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Yet Another Axle Swap Question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
Jonesie
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Yeah the AMC carrier/gears will swap but you will have to do a gear setup. The carrier break for a dana 30 is 3.54 and down. So for 4.10's in a dana 30 you would need a series 4 carrier while the one you have is a series 3. The AMC 20 uses the same carrier for everything but the 2.73. So an AMC 20 carrier for 3.54 is the same as needed for 4.10. But when you put new gears in any housing you will have to re-do the setup.
Thanks, Bob. This is all VERY helpful.

One last question: What i fI want to just pull my 3.54 gears out of my NT axles and put them into WT axles? Is that a straight swap, or is there still setup that needs to be done. Would this be something I could do, or would it need to go out to a professional?

Thanks - David

Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

I was looking at these same axels last week. I found that the 2.73 gears would not work for me so i decided to pass on this set.
Cjwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

You would still need to do a setup. You can find a writeup on how to setup gears in an AMC 20 on this forum. So you can read that and see if you think you can do it yourself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.