Yellow Frame paint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Yellow Frame paint?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-14-2002, 08:46 AM   #1
DaveFL

Yellow Frame paint?

Im 2 weeks away from painting my frame, reviewed POR15 info and still a bit leary on using it with out sandblasting the frame first.

Frame is 90% stripped to bare metal, need to hit it one more time with a light sand then its POR15 or primer before paint.

Decided I am going with a solar yellow and black paint scheme, even though everyone of my friends (Including the woman) wants it white.

I decided I want the frame to be yellow as well, and found that POR15 does make a top coat in yellow for there products but man talk about expensive.

If I stay away from the POR15 line, any other suggestions for a yellow paint that can be used on the frame?

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
jeepinbroder

I used POR-15 for many areas on my CJ, coming from Vermont it was desperately in need of it. The POR-15 seems to adhere best and penetrate best into parts that are slightly rusty, but clean. For example, I wire brushed and sanded my axles before using POR-15 and the paint took really well to them. I purchased a newer frame which had already been sandblasted and used the same procedure as far as paint. The paint seems to be flaky in places and although the frame is taking more abuse right now (tub installation) logically I would think it would be more resistant because of the sandblasting. My advice would be to use POR-15 primer (gray) and then topcoat with the yellow, especially in your climate. How much $ is your time worth? To do your frame is going to take you most of the day to do it right. Would you rather pay 50 bucks less for paint and spend another day painting in a few years?
Unread 10-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

If you are going to use POR-15 on bare metal, there is a etching compound that should be used first. the etching stuff makes the POR-15 think it is being applied on rust and sticks better.

I have only used the high temp grey and aluminum, both sets of headers were sand blasted, wiped with the etching stuff and wiped per the instructions with a wet rag and then the POR-15 was applied. Both sets of headers were baked in a Power Coater's oven for four hours.

The grey ones still look great after 8 years of be usd in the NE winters in a Ranger/5.0L setup. The alumnum ones still look brand new because I havn't used them yet but will test them out soon.

Good Luck, the POR-15 is expensive but it is worth it.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.